"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-10-2013, 11:49 AM   #8191
Chef Extraordinaire

I'm going to head about back here shortly and do a little target shooting. It's absolutely gorgeous here today, especially for this time of year. And I aim to take advantage of it.

Laurie, there might be "pet safe" ice melters, but they all will still pit concrete. I won't use them no matter how icey my parking area gets because of this. I don't know if that's the problem or not, but you might want to get in the habit of rinsing your pets' feet in the winter.

Old 01-10-2013, 12:05 PM   #8192
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
Well, I have two sick dogs now. We can not figure out what it could possibly be. The only thing TB has come up with is the sidewalk "salt" the complex put down yesterday because of a call for ice overnight. This stuff is supposed to be pet friendly, but we are wondering if they got it on their paws and licked it off.

I just can't afford another double vet bill but I also can't stand to see them suffer.

Joie is in the hall where he got sick propped up against the door of the guest bathroom and won't move. I can see him from my office but can't get him to come to me. We don't know if he can't walk or just doesn't want to (he can be like that). Violet is a bit better than last night but still on the couch where we slept all night. (PF, sounds like you and I had similar nights with pets on couches).

I am worried
You need to be worried !!

First thing you need to find out is exactly what they put down. Many of those melters have ingredients that are toxic to animals. "Pet Friendly" doesn't always equate to pet friendly. Some of the products out there actually have ingredients that heat up to melt the ice .. if an animal ingests that it will heat up inside of them.

So find out exactly what the product it .. name and mfg. Call the vet.

It is not always advisable to induce vomiting or even have them drink water .. vet attention is really important.

Sometimes when a pet ingests something toxic like slug bait for instance the only thing they can do is charcoal or something similar to neutralize it.

Hopefully it is nothing so serious, but best to be on the safe side.

Good luck and let us know how they are doing.

Old 01-10-2013, 12:08 PM   #8193
Certified Cake Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
I'm going to head about back here shortly and do a little target shooting. It's absolutely gorgeous here today, especially for this time of year. And I aim to take advantage of it.

Laurie, there might be "pet safe" ice melters, but they all will still pit concrete. I won't use them no matter how icey my parking area gets because of this. I don't know if that's the problem or not, but you might want to get in the habit of rinsing your pets' feet in the winter.
Thanks, Pac. It caught us off guard yesterday. We usually do wash their feet when there is snow and/or ice out there, but our weather is usually milder and they don't de-ice if conditions don't warrant it. This is the first time they did it "in case". We have no control over it. But we will be more careful in the future.

Joie finally moved and had a big drink of water. We are taking them both in to the vet in an hour.

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 01:31 PM   #8194
Chef Extraordinaire

Let us know.
Probably the only thing they can do is best guess, but they'll be able to check temp, heart rate, lungs and all that. And they'll know if they are seeing dogs with similar symptoms.
Old 01-10-2013, 03:52 PM   #8195
Chef Extraordinaire

getting ready to go once again to dr. removal of the 24 hour ekg.
Old 01-10-2013, 03:58 PM   #8196
Certified Cake Maniac

Okay, back from the vet. The dogs were both unusually hyper by the time we got there - the staff all know them and said "they aren't usually like that". Their temps and hydration are good, but they both had tender tummy regions, glassy eyes and were panting like they were in pain (I know that one from Violet with her chronic hip pain). The vet said (as you already alluded, Pac) that she can only guess it was the salt because I can't come up with anything else they could have got in a 48 hour period.

We have to watch them carefully and they are both on some stomach medicine for three days. If it gets worse or no better, I have to take them back for more tests.

I am exhausted from being up with Violet most of the night and then dealing with Joie and then rushing to the vet. After TB leaves for work I am hoping the three of us can have a good nap.

Thanks everyone for allowing me to go crazy here - they may be animals, but they are my only "kids".

Old 01-10-2013, 03:59 PM   #8197
Certified Cake Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by babetoo View Post
getting ready to go once again to dr. removal of the 24 hour ekg.
Hoping all is well, Babe. {{{{{{{{{{{{Babetoo}}}}}}}}}}}}}

Old 01-10-2013, 04:09 PM   #8198
Chef Extraordinaire

Yes, hope all is well Babe xx
Old 01-10-2013, 04:10 PM   #8199
Chef Extraordinaire

Today we are getting our new Sealy Posturepedic mattress delivered, WOOHOO!!

Nothing like a brand new mattress

So I am having to stay in and wait for it to arrive...so I have been out in the garden this morning and now about to get on the exercise bike
Old 01-10-2013, 05:32 PM   #8200
Chef Extraordinaire

Seems like the worse is over, Laurie. At least you got some tummy medicine for the pooches.

I just got back from the neighbor's. I saw him fiddling around with something over there, so I walked over and we gabbed for an hour or so. It's little things like that that help break up the winter. We don't see much of each other when there's snow on the ground and it's darn near all melted

Whoo-Hoo! New mattress!
I should go make up my bed like I said a week ago, but I've gotten so used to sleeping on the couch I'll probably sleep right through my alarm if I ever sleep in a real bed again