"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-13-2013, 05:00 PM   #8301
Certified Cake Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
This sounds familiar, SB. Am thinking our moms may have collaborated at some point.
My Dad was cut from the same mold. It took a lot to finally convince him he couldn't be on his own and the idea of moving in with us was much more pleasant to him than going in a care home at that time.

Sending thoughts and prayers your way, SB. {{{{{{{{{{{{{ Simonbaker & her Mom }}}}}}}}}}}}}

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 05:11 PM   #8302
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

It is so hard to know and live through the notion that your parent has the right to fail. Sometimes this has to be proven to them. We have let people go home from our facility that we knew were not capable, because it is their right to go home. I know it sounds horrible, but when they are adamant to do things on their own...all you can do is be ready to pick up the pieces and continue to offer support and help. All of you good children are doing just fine in the support and advice department, but they are adults and allowed to continue making their own mistakes.

Old 01-13-2013, 05:18 PM   #8303
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
It is so hard to know and live through the notion that your parent has the right to fail. Sometimes this has to be proven to them. We have let people go home from our facility that we knew were not capable, because it is their right to go home. I know it sounds horrible, but when they are adamant to do things on their own...all you can do is be ready to pick up the pieces and continue to offer support and help. All of you good children are doing just fine in the support and advice department, but they are adults and allowed to continue making their own mistakes.
Very well put PF.

I just have to think about how I would feel in the parent's place.
Old 01-13-2013, 05:28 PM   #8304
Certified Cake Maniac

Quote:
Thanks, PF. Yes, I did learn a lot about this in those three years that Dad lived with us. But at least I had him close by so I could be there when he did fall (literally and figuratively). But it was very hard watching him deteriorate and not try to smother him too much.

Old 01-13-2013, 05:37 PM   #8305
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
Thanks, PF. Yes, I did learn a lot about this in those three years that Dad lived with us. But at least I had him close by so I could be there when he did fall (literally and figuratively). But it was very hard watching him deteriorate and not try to smother him too much.
Then there is cold-hearted me who walks up and says, "Put your hands here and push." when they want a free ride in their wheelchair or I make them get out of bed and walk to the bathroom instead of helping them with a bedpan. But, if they want to go home, someone has to be the taskmaster. I know it's hard, I'm glad I am not watching my parents. Mom is 70, Dad is 71...Shrek will be 67, soon...
Old 01-13-2013, 05:39 PM   #8306
Executive Chef

Quote:
Great words of advice. I also went through this with my Dad. It was difficult and at times hearbreaking, but his feelings and dignity had to be considered. When he knew the time was right we made the move for him and he was thankful for all the support we were able to provide to him when he needed to prove himself. There are times I wish we had pushed him but after all was said and done and he was gone I recognized the importance of what we allowed him - as an adult - to do. It's a tough situation SB and we are sending best wishes and prayers to your family.
Old 01-13-2013, 05:43 PM   #8307
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsLMB View Post
Great words of advice. I also went through this with my Dad. It was difficult and at times hearbreaking, but his feelings and dignity had to be considered. When he knew the time was right we made the move for him and he was thankful for all the support we were able to provide to him when he needed to prove himself. There are times I wish we had pushed him but after all was said and done and he was gone I recognized the importance of what we allowed him - as an adult - to do. It's a tough situation SB and we are sending best wishes and prayers to your family.
It's tough to remember that you are still the child...your parent hasn't forgotten that. I will not take care of my parents, I also will not provide daily care for Shrek, I will make sure that they have the best of care, in their homes for as long as possible, but I wish to remain daughter and wife, never a parent. I am not very objective when it comes to MY parents and husband.
Old 01-13-2013, 05:57 PM   #8308
Chef Extraordinaire

About to head over to mums for a coffee and chat
Old 01-14-2013, 12:24 AM   #8309
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I have been fighting with my new phone. I went to my cell providers website and signed in. Then I updated the SIM card (new, smaller, LTE SIM). Big warnings that it would take place immediately and that it isn't reversible. Well, I tried calling Stirling, but it said no network, so I powered off the phone and powered it back on (as instructed yesterday). Still no network. Gah.

Well, I have Bell's "Single Number Reach" for my other phone number and usually have it forwarded to my cell. Most of my friends and clients use that number. So, I switched the forwarding to Stirling's mobile before we went out for supper. I tried calling fido (cell phone provider) and they are closed after 17h on Sundays. Gah!

Then later, when I was installing some apps, I noticed that it said "fido", so I tried calling and it worked. Phew.

I have been reading privacy policies 'til I'm cross eyed. One app, for "TheWeatherNetwork" wants permission to "read phone status and identity
Allows the app to access the phone features of the device. This permission allows the app to determine the phone number and device IDs, whether a call is active, and the remote number connected by a call."

Huh? It wants my phone number? It wants to know who I am calling? Why? And why does it need to access the phone features? Or am I completely misunderstanding this?

I give up for now. I'm going to read my book.
Old 01-14-2013, 12:40 AM   #8310
Certified Cake Maniac

Quote:
It's tough to remember that you are still the child...your parent hasn't forgotten that. I will not take care of my parents, I also will not provide daily care for Shrek, I will make sure that they have the best of care, in their homes for as long as possible, but I wish to remain daughter and wife, never a parent. I am not very objective when it comes to MY parents and husband.
This was what I struggled with for 3 years with Dad. There were times he wanted me to be the "parent" but then would resent it. And I just wanted to be the daughter "helping out". I don't regret a minute of it, but those of you who heard my rants more than a few times know it wasn't easy. That is why when he went in the hospital that last time I made it known to TB, my sister and the medical staff that he could not come home again. They offered me all the help I needed - way beyond the one hour a day we got. But Dad would say he didn't need it and not realize it was as much or more for me as for him. As it turned out, he never did come home and I always wondered if he declined because he didn't want to go to a home....even though he loved the convalescent one he was in twice. But I can't dwell on those kind of things. And he is not in pain or suffering now - no home or care facility could provide that.