"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-14-2013, 02:52 AM   #8311
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonbaker View Post
Spending time in sw Mn. With my mom. She has some bad nerve damage in her lower back. We have to wait until Tuesday for a MRI. Trying to convince her to come back with me as I need 2 get back to work but she s being stubborn about it. After last night I do not want to leave her alone. Bad bought of diarrhea & she cannot move very fast. I was up with her most of the night. She uses a walker all around the house. I am worried she would fall if left alone. If she came back with me I could have people with her during the day when we are at work. She still won t go. Argh!!!
It is very hard for a senior to give up their independence. Does she have a lifeline? Even if she hits the button and doesn't respond, they will send someone to check on her. It just might give you some peace of mind. Can you ask a neighbor to check on her occasionally?

We had a resident who had Parkinson Disease. We all knew what his prognosis was. He fought it and fought it. But eventually had to give up his apartment. I saw him at day care the other day. He had to admit, that getting full time care in a nursing home was what he needed now. Hard to admit.

Old 01-14-2013, 05:37 AM   #8312
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Wide awake since 2 this morning, finally gave up at three...I'm hoping I get drowsy and can go back to bed. Or start going into work at 4 in the morning...

Old 01-14-2013, 06:30 AM   #8313
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Wide awake since 2 this morning, finally gave up at three...I'm hoping I get drowsy and can go back to bed. Or start going into work at 4 in the morning...
I know the feeling. Been up all night. Sit here at the computer. Get real sleepy, lay down, eyes wide open.
Old 01-14-2013, 01:05 PM   #8314
Certified Cake Maniac

Princess, you and I should work on a night watch. I didn't get to sleep until 2 this morning. Was coughing almost non-stop. Finally I guess it tired me out enough I finally just went to sleep.

I am sitting here waiting for the phone to ring from the vet. Everyone else has called so far. It is snowing out, so if I have to take Joie in I will have to drive in it. TB comes home around 3:30 today (usually doesn't start until 3 but is on a training day) so if it can wait till then I will be okay.

Both the dentist office and the hospital have called to see how I am feeling for my appointments. We are going with the dentist tomorrow....though that is the one I want to cancel. As for the angio, I told them about the cough so they said they will call Wednesday when a decision will be made. I think they are more looking for flu than cold so that is good. This hospital has already had 2 quarantines (wards only) so they are not looking for one in their cardiac outpatient area!

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:13 PM   #8315
Certified Cake Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
It is very hard for a senior to give up their independence. Does she have a lifeline? Even if she hits the button and doesn't respond, they will send someone to check on her. It just might give you some peace of mind. Can you ask a neighbor to check on her occasionally?
My Dad kept his lifeline when he moved into here and it was really great because if TB and I were both out we knew he had that. The funny thing is the two times he used it we were home! The first was just after he came home from the hospital the first time and both bedroom doors were closed. He couldn't move or talk (we all thought stroke) and took 10 minutes to find and push the button. We woke up to the sound of the speaker in the living room. After that the doors stayed open at night and we were able to check on Dad whenever we were up. The second time Dad and I were home alone and he fell off the bed and was wedged between the bed and the wall. I couldn't get him up and was propping his head as it was at a bad angle so I pushed the button and they sent an ambulance to help us. Even a "non emergency" like that if it is an elderly person in trouble (and in this case a disabled one trying to help), they will send a truck ASAP.

I would suggest anyone who is older (or not) who has health concerns should get one. They don't always send an ambulance but will call someone on the contact list to come and check you - they do what is needed.

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:45 PM   #8316
Chef Extraordinaire

I just got back from the township bldg where I confirmed some great news.
The township, in a very contoversial move, has been putting in sewer lines. And I found out that if you are more than 150' from the line you don't have to hook up. Very good news for me. Especially with two perfectly good septic systems.
Old 01-14-2013, 02:01 PM   #8317
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

That is good news!

I'm trying to get ready to go do laundry...yippee!!
Old 01-14-2013, 02:18 PM   #8318
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
I just got back from the township bldg where I confirmed some great news.
The township, in a very contoversial move, has been putting in sewer lines. And I found out that if you are more than 150' from the line you don't have to hook up. Very good news for me. Especially with two perfectly good septic systems.
I don't know much about septic systems. Why is this good news?
Old 01-14-2013, 02:20 PM   #8319
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
It's going down below freezing today. A while ago I went outside and put salt on the last icy bits on the pavement in front of my house (condo common area). I just got back in from kicking the last, melting bits of ice into the snow bank. I really didn't want those slick bits of ice to freeze up hard and be dangerously slippy bits under new snow.
Old 01-14-2013, 02:31 PM   #8320
Master Chef

Just getting ready to sit in my comfortable recliner to read a good mystery and have a cup of hot cocoa.