What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We had to go with a new garbage pickup service. Our subdivision has had real issues with our current service....Anyway, the new service delivered our new garbage can today, and it still has that new garbage can smell! And it is big enough to house a family of 4, I wouldn't be surprised to find a homeless person living in it.

We recycle almost everything, so I'm trying to come up with something we can put in the new huge garbage can.
Where we live, each house has to hire it's own trash hauler. With just two of us we don't have much either, so we're able to get ours picked up every other week. If they let us do once a month we STILL wouldn't be able to fill that danged garbage cart. We also have a same-sized recycling cart. It ALWAYS has more in it that the garbage one. As a cool bonus, our service participates in a program called "Recycle Rewards". We get points for our recyclables based on frequency (every pick-up? every other?) and weight, then get points based on volume. The points can be redeemed for things, similar to a credit card points program. I just got two, one-year magazine subscriptions for points! When I redeem some for a Ruby Tuesday BOGO coupon I tell Himself we're going out to eat our garbage. :ohmy: :LOL:

I'm finishing up my second-from-the-last Great Lakes Brewing Christmas Ale. Gonna miss that when I finish it off next time...

Last edited:
My husband likes make-up. I don't wear a lot, just a touch. When I don't have makeup on I look totally washed out, and I look exactly like my mother, which is scary when I look in the mirror as she has been gone for 34 years. I rarely wear eye shadow for the same reason as others have mentioned. It's not for old eyes. LOL

I have to make an Aldi's run this morning. I have certain thngs that I buy there because they are exactly like brand, or better, but cost much less. I too use the generic Cheerios. Cheerios have been part of my diet as far back as I can remember, which is about to age 4.

We will also stop in Home Depot, which is next door to Aldi's. We are buying 2 safety bars for in the tub/shower. That makes it official...I am now officially an old lady, needing safety bars in the shower. Better be safe than sorry!

Oh My! You have my Mom's treadle machine! Her's looked just like that. I gave it away when we were cleaning out the folks' home because the drawers were a bit stuck - poor thing had been in the basement when we had a flood. :( Enjoy playing with it. IIRC, the front drawer was used by Mom for embroidery scissors, thimbles, and a small pin cushion.

Your Mom had the "Red Eye" We have drops for them now.Kidding!!!
How to: Wind a bobbin on Singer Model 66 Treadle Sewing Machine - YouTube

Well now isn't that a nifty place to keep the essentials handy? The things you learn around here. Clever place.
Here I was thinking of it as another Oreo's & M&M's stash place. My other spots have been found.Getting desperate now. :ohmy::LOL::LOL:

I do need to buy a treadle belt.Amazon has them cheap.Luckily where the needle inserts screws in is intact. I might have to take it in and have the presser foot looked at.It's rusted frozen in it's current position.The screw won't budge at all.The handle that raises it is also rusted.

It's still one cool machine.

Munky.

Have you tried penetrating oil to loosen up rusted bits? Stuff actually labelled "penetrating oil" works better than WD-40, which might be good enough.

Yes, I was thinking a wire brush, a Dremel if you have one, and some WD40. Penetrating oil would be good to sit overnight.

My husband likes make-up. I don't wear a lot, just a touch. When I don't have makeup on I look totally washed out, and I look exactly like my mother, which is scary when I look in the mirror as she has been gone for 34 years. I rarely wear eye shadow for the same reason as others have mentioned. It's not for old eyes. LOL

I have to make an Aldi's run this morning. I have certain things that I buy there because they are exactly like brand, or better, but cost much less. I too use the generic Cheerios. Cheerios have been part of my diet as far back as I can remember, which is about to age 4.

We will also stop in Home Depot, which is next door to Aldi's. We are buying 2 safety bars for in the tub/shower. That makes it official...I am now officially an old lady, needing safety bars in the shower. Better be safe than sorry!

Carol, of course our apartments here come with safety bars. But what I needed most were two things. I had Spike get me a sliding bar with a handheld adjustable shower head. So easy to install. Being so short, the shower head is so high that if I wanted to adjust it, I had to climb up on the sides of the tub. It is adjustable to go up and down for different heights of people.

The second thing was a safety bar just outside the tub. It is rather short and installed in a vertical position. It gives me something to hold onto with my hand as I step over the edge of the tub. When HUD came to inspect the property last year they saw it and liked the idea so much that they ordered Management and Maintenance to install a bar right outside the tub in ALL the apartments. It really does give you a sense of security and safety.

Admiring while dusting it.A 1915 or 1916 Singer sewing machine.The kind where the machine drops down tucks inside the desk.
I love the intricate carving details of the drawers. Our butcher just had it dropped off at my house.You could have knocked me over with a feather. Wasn't expecting that.It belonged to his Grandmother.She was the only one who ever owned or used it.I just called him to thank him for the gift. He instead thanked me for accepting it.He was particular with who got it.As he put it.The machine needs to be owned by a sole person, who would appreciate it. Take care of it.
Just got the bobbin plate opened. It actually has thread still in it.
Now I just need to read up on how to properly clean it up. So far she's cleaning up pretty.

Munky.

As a 12 y.o. I learned to sew on an old Singer treadle machine. I loved the rhythm of the treadle. :angel:

I stopped worrying about scaring the public a long time ago!..

I quit bothering with makeup when I noticed it made me look older....
I use only three items. Four if you count my lip balm. If I don't cover my couple of dark spots I feel old. I know I AM old, but most days I don't feel my age. I feel better about ME if I present a tidy face: concealer, a light dusting of powder, and a hint of blush. I can tell how very tired I am by how quickly the color fades from my blusher. Some days I put it on, then half an hour later you can't even tell. Then again, I don't really want to go out of the house looking like a friend of Clarabelle...:ermm:

I'm so envious of your find, Munky.

My Mom left me her old Singer portable that looks just like that, with all the attachments, including buttonhole. I gave it to my step-Mom who does prize winning machine quilting.

I'd love to have learned on a treadle, but that old portable (and Mom) taught me fine. I made all my doll clothes on it.

I really love the cabinet with all those wonderful drawers for your notions!

I use only three items. Four if you count my lip balm. If I don't cover my couple of dark spots I feel old. I know I AM old, but most days I don't feel my age. I feel better about ME if I present a tidy face: concealer, a light dusting of powder, and a hint of blush. I can tell how very tired I am by how quickly the color fades from my blusher. Some days I put it on, then half an hour later you can't even tell. Then again, I don't really want to go out of the house looking like a friend of Clarabelle...:ermm:

Absolutely nothing wrong with wearing makeup, and certainly no need to apologize or justify for doing so. Kudos to those who feel good about not wearing makeup, but I've been wearing eye makeup since I was 12 and feel naked without it. My mom was often mistaken for Elizabeth Taylor, and always wore lots of mascara, liner, and shadow.

Time to scrub my shower head! :w00t: It's been soaking in vinegar for about 3 hours. Himself and I hit the plumbing store today, he got the new part installed in my tub today, and said I'll be very happy when I flip the water from tub to shower. Guess it's as good of a gusher you can get with a 26 PSI...in the basement! :glare: Too tired to compute the loss in pressure going from the basement to the 2nd floor in a house with 7 1/2 foot ceilings and the shower head at just under 6" from the floor of the tub...

CG, a girlfriend of mine used to do cleaning on time share condos.

She would soak the shower head in CLR every time for each condo. Her boss was greatly impressed with the results.

She only spent maybe a half hour in each condo (with a crew), and the shower heads were completely cleaned during that time.

For a container, she would use a plastic butter container and use the CLR for all the shower heads, one by one.

I am watching a pvr'd American Idol from earlier, crocheting a very late Christmas present for my niece, and trying to get through on a chat for an app I purchased and can't use. How's that for multi-tasking!

I am watching a pvr'd American Idol from earlier, crocheting a very late Christmas present for my niece, and trying to get through on a chat for an app I purchased and can't use. How's that for multi-tasking!

Foo! Now I'm tired, ha!

With love,
~Cat

CG, a girlfriend of mine used to do cleaning on time share condos.

She would soak the shower head in CLR every time for each condo. Her boss was greatly impressed with the results......

I've tried either CLR or Lime-Away. It works, but it also took the plating off some metal on the now-replaced tub spout. The vinegar works wonderfully if you aren't in a hurry, which I wasn't. And I make sure I rinse it out really good so I don't smell like a pickle. :LOL: Actually, I did end up with a taste for pickles! Luckily, we had a jar of Claussen in the fridge. :yum:

Back
Top Bottom