What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've been fighting with my oven. This has happened before. Its a 25 year old stove with old-fashioned dials, but has a "feature" where it can go into automatic cooking mode, with no indication it has done so. Then it can decide to just use its "keep warm" setting, no mater WHAT temperature you set the stove for. Good thing we still have the manual. Turns out you just have to push in the stop timer button to put it back in normal mode. Which usually only takes us 3 or 4 days to remember, every time the "stove breaks".

This was the problem when I made the pita pizza.

Sounds likie your oven has a mind of its own. Like my Jeeps climate control.

I am sitting here wishing I had vodka and kahlua.
I've never been a big dessert eater, but after a really good meal I liked an after dinner Black Russian. And every aspect of tonight's dinner has my endorphines buzzing. I may have to make do with a hot chocolate... not the same.

I've been fighting with my oven. This has happened before. Its a 25 year old stove with old-fashioned dials, but has a "feature" where it can go into automatic cooking mode, with no indication it has done so. Then it can decide to just use its "keep warm" setting, no mater WHAT temperature you set the stove for. Good thing we still have the manual. Turns out you just have to push in the stop timer button to put it back in normal mode. Which usually only takes us 3 or 4 days to remember, every time the "stove breaks".

This was the problem when I made the pita pizza.

Sounds like my internal temp controls right now, except there is no reset...:devilish:

Sounds likie your oven has a mind of its own. Like my Jeeps climate control.

I am sitting here wishing I had vodka and kahlua.
I've never been a big dessert eater, but after a really good meal I liked an after dinner Black Russian. And every aspect of tonight's dinner has my endorphines buzzing. I may have to make do with a hot chocolate... not the same.

Hmmmm...Shrek was looking for vermouth for a martini...must be something in the air! Hate to tell him but that bottle of gin is probably 8 years old...

I ran out of vermouth a couple nights ago. When I made Harry's buccatini and prawns. My goto white wine.

I think the ultimate dessert cocktail is a Brandy Alexander. 1 part brandy, 1 part creme de cacao, 2 parts cream (the heavier the cream, the better it tastes). I might just make us some.

We have our grandson overnight. After dinner I told him I had made a special dessert cake that wasn't chocolate (the only cake he would eat). I told him it was a white cake soaked in melted vanilla ice cream and then frosted (with whipped cream which he hates).

He reluctantly agreed to taste it and opened his mouth with great apprehension so I could put in a forkful. The expressions on his face were priceless. Then he swallowed and proclaimed, "Oh, my god, this is so delicious!" Of course, he got a big piece for dessert and ate it all.

This kid is really good for my ego.

Good, he's getting to the age where you can override some previous teaching. He's going to trust you the next time you tell him something is good. Great job, Grampy!

Good, he's getting to the age where you can override some previous teaching. He's going to trust you the next time you tell him something is good. Great job, Grampy!

He ate some of my quick chocolate cake with ganache topping before Christmas and said I was the best cake baker ever. The myth grows.

TB just got home and we were on our way to dinner, but it looks like we will be making a stop at the ER first....for him this time....

Oh LP, if it wasn't for bad luck you wouldn't have any luck at all! :( Hopes and prayers that TB's hand is fine and that the station fixes the problem so this doesn't happen again.

Did you guys make it to dinner? Hope so since you were looking forward to it. Unless TB didn't want you cutting up his food...;)

Wow. Talk about a streak of bad luck!
I don't even know how that could happen.
Apparently it was sabotage. The owner of the service station called me on my cell at the hospital. Hue said he examined the nozzle and someone had wrapped a piece of metal with a sharp edge on the nozzle but it wasn't quite visible. He is very upset and is basically going to give TB free gas for a few months and cover any out of pocket expenses which there shouldn't be as the meds are covered on his work plan and he won't need to take time off work.

He got five stitches in his hand just above the thumb, a tetanus shot, antibiotics and pain killers. He is sleeping now.

Tomorrow he has to give a statement to the police, but he doesn't really know anything. The attendant said it had been quiet and no one used the pump for awhile before TB. The attendant is in the clear because of cameras on the booth but there aren't any on the pumps.

Just a week ago a hockey mom who went outside the rink for a cigarette was murdered for the smokes and $32 in her purse. This was very close to the gas station. Our neighbourhood is becoming really dangerous.

Oh LP, if it wasn't for bad luck you wouldn't have any luck at all! :( Hopes and prayers that TB's hand is fine and that the station fixes the problem so this doesn't happen again.

Did you guys make it to dinner? Hope so since you were looking forward to it. Unless TB didn't want you cutting up his food...;)
Yes, I wanted to come straight home, but he insisted. And yes, I had to cut his chicken for him. I hate that this happened, but with driving, helping him change and eat it felt good to be on the giving end for a change.

He has two days off to rest up.

Last edited:
Apparently it was sabotage. The owner of the service station called me on my cell at the hospital. Hue said he examined the nozzle and someone had wrapped a piece of metal with a sharp edge on the nozzle but it wasn't quite visible. He is very upset and is basically going to give TB free gas for a few months and cover any out of pocket expenses which there shouldn't be as the meds are covered on his work plan and he won't need to take time off work.

He got five stitches in his hand just above the thumb, a tetanus shot, antibiotics and pain killers. He is sleeping now.

Tomorrow he has to give a statement to the police, but he doesn't really know anything. The attendant said it had been quiet and no one used the pump for awhile before TB. The attendant is in the clear because of cameras on the booth but there aren't any on the pumps.

Just a week ago a hockey mom who went outside the rink for a cigarette was murdered for the smokes and $32 in her purse. This was very close to the gas station. Our neighbourhood is becoming really dangerous.

Geez, I was thinking the only way that could happen is if someone messed with the nozzle. Too bad the cameras weren't facing the pumps.

Back
Top Bottom