What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We got home from the party about 20 minutes ago. Good party. I met a woman, originally from New Zealand, who speaks Danish, so we gabbed a bunch in Danish.

The drive home was a bit stressful. That snow that Rocklobster and someone else mentioned arrived here around 16h00. They predicted 5 cm (2") in the evening and another 3 or 4 cm overnight. The snow hasn't stopped and it looks like we already got the total 9 cm. The roads were not cleared. The ruts from previous cars weren't very defined, so the roads were lumpy. It made lane changes a bit of an adventure. People were mostly driving for the conditions. Most of the drive on the autoroutes was at about 60 km/h (~37 mph), even though the speed limit is 100 kph (62 mph). Twice, I had some hoser tailgating. :ermm: It took about an hour for a trip that would normally take about 25 minutes.

I'm glad to be home.

Thanks. It's really no different than any other hobby.
I call it "ballistic therapy"...
I find shooting very, very relaxing. It's a zen thing. It's just you, the gun and a target. You're forced to breathe slowly and deliberately, much like meditation and counting your breaths....
When we were in FL back in November our niece and nephew-in-law (both avid marks"men") took us to the shooting range - my first time shooting ever. Himself and I each got a target to aim for, and NIL took us through the drill. Himself had more success than I did, but he had some rifle training when he was in ROTC decades earlier. He actually credited his steady hand from years of taking photos. I need to take more pictures. :huh: The proof of my "success" is in the photo below:

Attachments

• 2013-11-17 15.54.35.jpg
    2013-11-17 15.54.35.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 135
I just got back from a 4 hour snowshoeing hike up a mountain a ways north of where I live, with a fellow I have been dating. Last week we went target practicing, and I beat him:).
Sounds like a lot of fun, but you must have some pretty sore muscles. All of my snowshoeing has been done on relatively flat land.

...The drive home was a bit stressful. That snow that Rocklobster and someone else mentioned arrived here around 16h00.......It took about an hour for a trip that would normally take about 25 minutes.

I'm glad to be home.
Sounds like the drive was a bit of a nail-biter. Glad you made it home safely. Maybe you need to soothe your frazzled nerves with a nice warm drink. Irish coffee comes to mind. ;)

Laurie, you reminded me of something. We were visiting my Swedish grandparents when I was nine. I was staring at a really nice painting, but something seemed a little odd about the painting. I looked at it closely and it was cross stitch. It was about 4 feet wide by about 3 feet tall.

My grandfather was the youngest of five boys. His father and all of his had brothers died within a year of retiring at age 67. My grandfather retired and started failing. He was convinced that he would die within the year, like all the men in his family. My grandmother gave him a "talking to". She wasn't going to put up with him just fading away. She taught him needle point. That painting was designed and stitched by grandfather. He lived well into his 80s. They went to the country every summer for canoeing and fishing until a year or so before he died. My grandmother continued going to the country, but with a girlfriend, for many years. :) That's my farmor on the left in both pix.

Bohrnerud+Family+Pictures+-+Anna+Gustavson%252C+Friend%252C+and+fish+-+1.jpg

Bohrnerud+Family+Pictures+-+Anna+Gustavson%252C+Friend%252C+and+fish+-+2.jpg

Last edited:
When we were in FL back in November our niece and nephew-in-law (both avid marks"men") took us to the shooting range - my first time shooting ever. Himself and I each got a target to aim for, and NIL took us through the drill. Himself had more success than I did, but he had some rifle training when he was in ROTC decades earlier. He actually credited his steady hand from years of taking photos. I need to take more pictures. :huh: The proof of my "success" is in the photo below:
Well, CG, you did way better than I would. When I have played darts everyone runs for cover. :ermm::LOL:

Sounds like the drive was a bit of a nail-biter. Glad you made it home safely. Maybe you need to soothe your frazzled nerves with a nice warm drink. Irish coffee comes to mind. ;)
Well, there were a few times I kept thinking about a car in the next lane, keep going straight, please don't start going sideways. We actually passed a taxi, on a surface street, that was having a lot of trouble going the way he wanted to go.

I'm in "Danish mode". I'm having an akvavit. ;)

That's cool, CG. And you've got the pic to prove it happened!

Great old pics, taxy. It looks like those women were eating pike for a while.

My grandfather retired and started failing. My grandmother ...... taught him needle point. That painting was designed and stitched by grandfather. He lived well into his 80s.
I have a hand-embroidered tablecloth that was made for my grandmother by a wounded sailor as a wedding present during the first world war. Only used on special occasions!

I'm cooking up a little breakfast and watching dinosaur shows.
I'll make store run for some walnuts later in the morning and my attention will turn to Super Bowl programming.

Getting ready for the marathon known as SuperCommercial Sunday! Love those advertisements, and looking forward to the next eight hours. Since pac and my Browns aren't playing *sigh* I don't really have any favorite to win, but it would amuse me if Denver since I live in Patriot territory. 'Nuff said. :angel:

Thanks LP! I haven't used my sewing machine for many years, and there were many bad words directed toward it, but I think I finally figured it out. I had a bunch of jeans that were either outdated or just didn't fit. I'm going to make more of these for gifts. I'll use the legs to make a throw.

I have a whole stack of my old jeans that I'm hacking up. The seats with pockets will be used for totes and purses, and the legs are planned for lap quilts.

:LOL: I tried to explain the projects to DH, he was appalled. He thought I was making Daisey Dukes to wear! :LOL:
What's wrong with wearing Daisy Dukes?
Finding uses for old jeans. View attachment 20687
I love it, and it has outside pockets!

Puppy Bowl X starts NOW!!!!!

Okay, I don't mean to sound like a dumb Canuck, but what is the Puppy Bowl?

BTW, I am curled up in my chair with my electric blanket, my fur-kids with me, I'm sipping on hot lemon & honey and watching the Canadian Ladies' Curling Championships, waiting for the Superbowl to begin.

I am also crocheting between coughs. This bug doesn't seem to want to leave or get worse so I still don't know until I see the clinic doctor again tomorrow whether the surgery is a go on Tuesday or not. I actually think it is more allergies than virus or infection, but the doctors have to decide that.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom