What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
GDIL is awake, they told her about the baby and were ready for her response. She said she knew it, somehow. Most likely heard it while she was "under" and it soaked in a little. She will be in the hospital a bit longer for surgery to pin her pelvis. Thanks, everyone for your well wishes for us.

PrincessFiona60 said:
GDIL is awake, they told her about the baby and were ready for her response. She said she knew it, somehow. Most likely heard it while she was "under" and it soaked in a little. She will be in the hospital a bit longer for surgery to pin her pelvis. Thanks, everyone for your well wishes for us.

So, so sad. Hoping for a speedy recovery, PF.

Oh my, I hope her recovery is swift and she has lots of support from those around her. I'm so sorry to hear about that.

i'm terribly sorry, fee. i hope your gdil is ok and gets better soon, physically and spiritually.

Fiona, thanks for the update. She has been on my mind and in my prayers a lot. Have you decided whether you are going yet?

Fiona, thanks for the update. She has been on my mind and in my prayers a lot. Have you decided whether you are going yet?

Thanks, Laurie!

Her surgery is tomorrow. Spoke with Stepson, he says we are certainly welcome, but right now they are fairly overrun with relatives. He suggests coming down when she is out of the hospital to provide help. They won't be doing anything about a memorial until she is up and around on her own. There are several nurses on her side of the family. Shrek says we will go down for the memorial.

Last edited:
My heart go out to anyone who is facing a family medical difficulty.

Having said that I would like to add a few notes for those on the sidelines and who mean well.

Do try to plan you visits to the hospital through the immediate family. To do otherwise, creates problems not only for the patient but also the staff. When the room gets too full of visitors, most often you will be asked to leave. And it is exhausting for the patient. I know, I have been there more often than I care to remember. All I wanted to do was sleep. Not entertain visitors.

If you do choose to visit, then please remember your friend/relative will probably have a roommate. Be considerate of that roommate and their company.

Please do not sit on the bed. It can be very jarring for the patient. Specially if they have sutures.

Save your visits for after the patient is home. Your help will be more appreciated.

Clear with the family if the patient is allergic to flowers. Humorous cards are more appreciated and can go home and kept with the patient. After all, humor is the best medicine. If you insist on a present, send a nice robe or nightgown to be worn home. Check with the family for size. One time while in I was in rehab, I mentioned that I would love to be able to wear my own nightgown. But I didn't have any with me. I must have received at least ten in the mail from friends. How quickly the word spread. I still have some of them today and still wear them. They mean the world to me.

Have some meals cooked for when the patient returns home. Include the spouse in the amount. After hospital food, a home cooked meal will be greatly appreciated and devoured. If you do visit the hospital, check with family as to what foods the patient wants or can safely eat. Fried foods are not a good idea for a gall bladder patient. But a big cup of Dunkin Donuts coffee can make their day. Decaf coffee will never cut it for me.

Lastly, that big elephant in the room that no one wants to talk about? Unless the patient brings it up, then don't you be the one. Leave the family argument at home.

If anyone has any other gems to add, please do so. :)

I'm watching Public Enemy on USA. I just happened to be flipping channels and caught this at the beginning. What a treat!

Hospital visits have to be the worst. For example, my mother when she is hospitalized wants someone there as many hours and the hospital will allow. My husband is of the same ilk as I am, that is to say, I want people to acknowledge that they care and stop in, but after about 10 minutes, you run out of things to talk about. I haven't been hospitalized in 35 years, give or take (thank heaven). But when hubby had the wasp attack I learned that he just wanted to be left alone.

More and more these days, flowers are something that most people just can't take in emergency situations. My experience is that ICUs don't allow flowers. There's nothing wrong with sending them, though, the nurses at their station enjoy them. Getting on the good side of hospital personnel is a GOOD thing!

The last time I made a hospital visit, I stopped and bought a stuffed animal I just liked (the friend was 70-something). She loved it, and gave it to a child visitor. Asked if I minded. Heck, no. The friend died a few months later, and I just hope that the child remembers her grandmother fondly when she sees it. I know the friend loved the toy because I saw her sleeping with it.

My grandson and I are getting ready to make some lemon shortbread cookies (thanks Alix). This is a super simple recipe and delicious besides. There are a lot of things he can do hands on with this recipe.

I hope he actually likes them, he's a fussy eater. He gets that from both parents. Then again, if he doesn't like them I would step up and do my grandfatherly duty and eat them for him.

My grandson and I are getting ready to make some lemon shortbread cookies (thanks Alix). This is a super simple recipe and delicious besides. There are a lot of things he can do hands on with this recipe.

I hope he actually likes them, he's a fussy eater. He gets that from both parents. Then again, if he doesn't like them I would step up and do my grandfatherly duty and eat them for him.

What a nice way to spend time together. You are a good grandfather offering to eat those cookies so they won't go to waste. If you can't finish them let me know. I will send my address. :angel::yum:

Hospital visits have to be the worst. For example, my mother when she is hospitalized wants someone there as many hours and the hospital will allow. My husband is of the same ilk as I am, that is to say, I want people to acknowledge that they care and stop in, but after about 10 minutes, you run out of things to talk about. I haven't been hospitalized in 35 years, give or take (thank heaven). But when hubby had the wasp attack I learned that he just wanted to be left alone.

More and more these days, flowers are something that most people just can't take in emergency situations. My experience is that ICUs don't allow flowers. There's nothing wrong with sending them, though, the nurses at their station enjoy them. Getting on the good side of hospital personnel is a GOOD thing!

The last time I made a hospital visit, I stopped and bought a stuffed animal I just liked (the friend was 70-something). She loved it, and gave it to a child visitor. Asked if I minded. Heck, no. The friend died a few months later, and I just hope that the child remembers her grandmother fondly when she sees it. I know the friend loved the toy because I saw her sleeping with it.

When I had my bypass surgery more than ten years ago, a friend in NO, LA. sent me a stuffed iguana. I named her Lizzieguana. I still have her. She goes with me on trips and fits perfectly around my neck for support when I want to take a nap on a plane. She has quieted many a crying child on the plane. Mothers bring bottles, but not a comfort toy or blankie. So Lizzieguana does her job. I just love Lizzieguana. :cool:

Glad to hear you are willing to step up if necessary! We used to do all kinds of shortbread when my kids were little. It is so forgiving they could do it all by themselves. Almost.

I'm lying in bed, being lazy. I don't HAVE to get up, and the cat is smushed up next to my head. He's forgiven me now for shoving him off my face and is purring up a storm. At the moment I'm hoping to persuade someone to bring me a cup of coffee.

I'm a librarian, and I'm currently processing Scientology stuff into the system. It's weird how much of this Scientology stuff we already have.

Personally, I just don't care for cut flowers, they are so short lived. I love my plants and watching a beautiful bouquet dying is depressing to me.

If you wanted to give me something in the hospital, I would appreciate a plant so that I can remember the sentiment when I get home.

Also, so many people are allergic that I'm surprised hospitals allow them at all.

Last edited:
Making taco soup for soup day at work tomorrow. I feel like I'm totally phoning it in, and I'm not jazzed about that.

Back
Top Bottom