"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 02-11-2013, 03:47 PM   #8861
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Whatever gave you the idea I had a logical mind?
I'm the guy that tried to use a leaf blower to dry a floor... and it was working well, too... until the smoke alarms went off

Are you saving the leaves or you simply want them removed from the gravel so the gravel looks nice?
If it was me... I'd fire up the big propane torch and torch them all. Just don't hold the torch too long in one spot or the gravel will POP. Ask me how I know that Darn things are hot, too!

I would probably just rake them on a windy day. What won't blow away will probably stick to the tines.
I'm not saving the leaves. Propane torch notwithstanding, your answer was, how shall I put it, unresponsive to the question. Ain't got a torch, either, anyway. Popped gravel -- geez -- OK, how did you know that?

Old 02-11-2013, 03:55 PM   #8862
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Whatever gave you the idea I had a logical mind?
I'm the guy that tried to use a leaf blower to dry a floor... and it was working well, too... until the smoke alarms went off

Are you saving the leaves or you simply want them removed from the gravel so the gravel looks nice?
If it was me... I'd fire up the big propane torch and torch them all. Just don't hold the torch too long in one spot or the gravel will POP. Ask me how I know that Darn things are hot, too!

I would probably just rake them on a windy day. What won't blow away will probably stick to the tines.
I think, "Creative Mind" would be a better description...

Old 02-11-2013, 04:02 PM   #8863
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Here's the recipe I'm using.
World's Best Lasagna Recipe - Allrecipes.com

I'll let you know later if it is "the world's best", lol.
Two necessary ingredients are missing - 1 cup of Chianti and a pinch of cinnamon. Then it can be called "world's best"
Old 02-11-2013, 04:03 PM   #8864
Chef Extraordinaire

Yeah... that's it, creative.
Old 02-11-2013, 04:05 PM   #8865
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Two necessary ingredients are missing - 1 cup of Chianti and a pinch of cinnamon. Then it can be called "world's best"
And me without any wine
I use cinnamon in my chili, but red gravy? I'd have to give that one some thought. It does taste good though. And the temps have plummeted. A good night for turning on the oven and making lasagna.
Old 02-11-2013, 04:18 PM   #8866
Chef Extraordinaire

The cinnamon tip came from my MIL's Italian neighbor. You don't taste it, but it counters the acidic flavor of the tomatoes; then you can reduce the amount of added sugar.
Old 02-11-2013, 04:30 PM   #8867
Chef Extraordinaire

I can add sugar without making it sweet, but for some reason when I add cinnamon I always get that underlying flavor that it's there, which I like in chili. I've had friends ask what that flavor was because they can't place it. I'm just not sure I want it in my spaghetti sauce and don't want to play with it. Not this time anyway. Maybe next time.

I did change the recipe somewhat though. There's no way that much sauce is only getting two cloves of garlic
Old 02-11-2013, 04:38 PM   #8868
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
I did change the recipe somewhat though. There's no way that much sauce is only getting two cloves of garlic
+1

Next time, have some Chianti on hand, too

I'm about to leave for Master Gardener class. Just finished copying our draft of the garden design for the class.

btw, I'm listening to a Sheryl Crow station on Pandora. I really like it, but gave Alanis Morrisette a thumbs down. Just can't get over how the supposely Ironic things in that song are really just Bummers.
Old 02-11-2013, 04:50 PM   #8869
Chef Extraordinaire

Chianti... you and Hannibal Lecter, lol
Old 02-11-2013, 07:54 PM   #8870
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
I'm just happy I finally got to use that bottle of fennel someone told me I needed in my spice cabinet.
if you still have some fennel seeds, try searing a couple of pork tenderloins in grapeseed oil, then nestle them into a baking dish with some peeled and quartered granny smith apples and onions (that were quickly sauteed before grapeseed oil.) smear a good layer of wholegrain dijon mustard onto the tops of the tenderloins, then press a few tbsps of fennel seeds into the mustard. dot the apples and onions with butter, and bake uncovered at 400 until the pork is cooked medium rare to medium.

good stuff.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote