"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 02-11-2013, 08:52 PM   #8871
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I like to cut a few strips of the yellow part of lemon peel with a potato peeler, to add to pasta sauce and then pull them out when it's done.

Old 02-12-2013, 11:25 PM   #8872
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
if you still have some fennel seeds, try searing a couple of pork tenderloins in grapeseed oil, then nestle them into a baking dish with some peeled and quartered granny smith apples and onions (that were quickly sauteed before grapeseed oil.) smear a good layer of wholegrain dijon mustard onto the tops of the tenderloins, then press a few tbsps of fennel seeds into the mustard. dot the apples and onions with butter, and bake uncovered at 400 until the pork is cooked medium rare to medium.

good stuff.
Sounds wonderful! That one is a keeper, will definitely try it out. Haven't worked with grapeseed oil before, do you get it at a specialty store? does it withstand a pretty high temp.?

Old 02-13-2013, 03:11 PM   #8873
Chef Extraordinaire

Off to do the grocery shopping and then straight home as it is going to be so hot today, want to be home in the air conditioning
Old 02-13-2013, 03:20 PM   #8874
Chef Extraordinaire

I am sitting here trying to get up the energy to jump into the shower. have been stalling all day. Don't know why. Just in a lazy streak.

I also have realized I am due for another hair cut. When it gets to three fingers long from the scalp, it is time for a close clipping. Maybe I will schedule it for my birthday next month. I get a pixie cut. Really close to the scalp.
Old 02-13-2013, 03:24 PM   #8875
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
+1

Next time, have some Chianti on hand, too

I'm about to leave for Master Gardener class. Just finished copying our draft of the garden design for the class.

btw, I'm listening to a Sheryl Crow station on Pandora. I really like it, but gave Alanis Morrisette a thumbs down. Just can't get over how the supposely Ironic things in that song are really just Bummers.
I had a friend in Tacoma that that took the Master Gardener course. He got so good at it, they asked him to teach the course and man the phones to answer questions. He really loved gardening. I think in another life he was a farmer.
Old 02-13-2013, 03:43 PM   #8876
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonbaker View Post
Sounds wonderful! That one is a keeper, will definitely try it out. Haven't worked with grapeseed oil before, do you get it at a specialty store? does it withstand a pretty high temp.?
nope, not a specialty store, just the regular supermarket next to the olive oils. but there's so many ethnicities here that it mght be considered normal, whereas in other parts you might have to look in a mediterranean or mddle eastern market.

and yes, it has a high smoking point and not much flavour, so it's good to use for searing and if you don't want say an olive or peanut oil taste.
Um diddle diddle diddle um diddle ay
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 01:26 AM   #8877
Chef Extraordinaire

Steve has recently come home from work and he surprised me with the new Paperwhite Kindle, what a sweet husband I have

I knew it had just been released a couple of days ago, but didnt know Steve was buying me one...I am thrilled!

It is so much better than my existing Kindle as it has a lovely crisp white background and also is touchscreen...I love it
Old 02-14-2013, 06:00 AM   #8878
Chef Extraordinaire

Nice Velentines Day present.
Old 02-14-2013, 04:02 PM   #8879
Chef Extraordinaire

Thanks Pac

We dont really do Valentines....so it wasnt a Valentines present, it was just because the Kindles were released here at this store yesterday

I was reading last night in bed and it is brilliant, love the pure whiteness of the screen and you can adjust it to your liking

I also love the touchscreen...I am very impressed with it
Old 02-14-2013, 06:39 PM   #8880
Executive Chef

We just got back from the pool and had a snack. Now just lazing about a bit, snuggled on the couch. He's on the laptop, I'm on my phone. We might play a board game in a little bit.