What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
my thomas cat, loves watermelon, especially the juice. never seems to bother him but then don't think it is classified as citrus. he can tell i have cut a piece three rooms away. strange. cantaloupe and papaya

White Chicken

I was resting and thinking about having Haddock for supper. It got me to thinking about my my second husband, who was a commercial fisherman, would bring home all filleted the largest Haddock he found in the last catch of the day. It usually weighed at leas 10#'s. Most of the time it wasn't more than five hours old and never frozen like the rest of the catch in the hold. It was so fresh, I swear it was still kicking as I put it in the black frying pan.

The kids would ask "What,s for supper?" Now if I told them it was fish, they all would ave found a friend who would let them eat over their house. So I started telling them it was white chicken. Unbeknownst to them, they loved white chicken breaded, dipped in egg and breaded again. Then the white chicken would hit the cast iron pan until golden brown. As each cut up piece was done, it would go onto the platter sitting in a warm oven until there was a pile of it. The platter would come out of the oven and onto the table. By the end of the meal, there wasn't one piece left of white chicken. It wasn't until they were adults that I told them the truth.

When they each got married and had children of their own, I taught them how to make white chicken. Of course their kids hated fish also. So they each got to eat white chicken. And now the great grand-kids are also eating white chicken. So I will be having white chicken for supper. :angel:

I was resting and thinking about having Haddock for supper. It got me to thinking about my my second husband, who was a commercial fisherman, would bring home all filleted the largest Haddock he found in the last catch of the day. It usually weighed at leas 10#'s. Most of the time it wasn't more than five hours old and never frozen like the rest of the catch in the hold. It was so fresh, I swear it was still kicking as I put it in the black frying pan.

The kids would ask "What,s for supper?" Now if I told them it was fish, they all would ave found a friend who would let them eat over their house. So I started telling them it was white chicken. Unbeknownst to them, they loved white chicken breaded, dipped in egg and breaded again. Then the white chicken would hit the cast iron pan until golden brown. As each cut up piece was done, it would go onto the platter sitting in a warm oven until there was a pile of it. The platter would come out of the oven and onto the table. By the end of the meal, there wasn't one piece left of white chicken. It wasn't until they were adults that I told them the truth.

When they each got married and had children of their own, I taught them how to make white chicken. Of course their kids hated fish also. So they each got to eat white chicken. And now the great grand-kids are also eating white chicken. So I will be having white chicken for supper. :angel:

:LOL::LOL: That's rich, Addie. Wonder if I could fool a grown-up who only orders chicken at seafood restaurants.

addie, if you wrote your autobiography i would gladly buy and read it. have you ever thought about it? or a memoir--you write so well, too. you wouldn't even need a ghost writer....:)

addie, if you wrote your autobiography i would gladly buy and read it. have you ever thought about it? or a memoir--you write so well, too. you wouldn't even need a ghost writer....:)

It has been mentioned before. But most of my stories revolve around my children or my childhood. My kids kept me on my toes. I was determined they would grow up learning. Even if it was one new thing each day. I grew up in a neighborhood that was totally alien to my background. I think I was the only non-Italian in town. Yet my mother taught me to cook traditional American foods. And my friends grandmothers, and mothers taught me Italian cooking. I got the best of both worlds. I have a lot of fond memories from both ends. And I came along right at the end of cooking with a wood stove and ice boxes for cooling foods. My mother grew up during the depression and she kept a lot of the belt tightening tricks that she learned as a child. She passed them down to me. And I in turn passed them on to my kids. My daughter keeps telling me to write all my tricks down on the computer so she can print them out when I am gone. So every so often a subject comes up here and I try to add my little bit to the conversation. English was one of my best subjects in school. So writing comes fairly easy to me. :)

It has been mentioned before. But most of my stories revolve around my children or my childhood. My kids kept me on my toes. I was determined they would grow up learning. Even if it was one new thing each day. I grew up in a neighborhood that was totally alien to my background. I think I was the only non-Italian in town. Yet my mother taught me to cook traditional American foods. And my friends grandmothers, and mothers taught me Italian cooking. I got the best of both worlds. I have a lot of fond memories from both ends. And I came along right at the end of cooking with a wood stove and ice boxes for cooling foods. My mother grew up during the depression and she kept a lot of the belt tightening tricks that she learned as a child. She passed them down to me. And I in turn passed them on to my kids. My daughter keeps telling me to write all my tricks down on the computer so she can print them out when I am gone. So every so often a subject comes up here and I try to add my little bit to the conversation. English was one of my best subjects in school. So writing comes fairly easy to me. :)

I second the emotion, I would like to have you get all your stories down, too! Thank you for sharing them with us!

I cleaned out my shoe collection. Two huge bags will go to Goodwill, one is destined for the trash (favorites, but wore 'em to death. :(). I've put myself on a shoe diet, dang, I love shoes! Can't wear the high heels as much as I'd like to anymore.

Couldn't help it, I had to rescue the silver ballet flats...OK, no more second thoughts....Must..Be.. Strong..

Last edited:
Just got home from my mom's 82nd birthday party. Most of the whole family got together. All of my siblings(8) & their husbands, wives & kids. Alot of us stayed at an inexspensive hotel within walking distance of the house. There were 30 of us total. Space was a little cramped at the house but it was so fun. I have not laughed like that in a long time. Although it feels good to finally get home & put my feet up.

I'm starting to think of getting dinner on the table. It's been a weird week when it comes to this and that. I'm trying to revive a hobby (beading) that I've let go because I don't think I could manage it with my new doggie. Well, Rosebud is getting calmer, and a friend asked if I can repair a necklace of hers. It's an easy fix, I just wanted to know if she wanted it the same length as before it was broken or longer. So I've been looking for beads that would make it longer. I haven't looked through my treasure chest in over a year, and was delighted to realize I have I have the beads to finish the job without going shopping for them. What a mess, though. I spent most of the weekend getting my hobby center, such as it is, straightened out.

the grammys are almost over, yay! too many bosses around for a sunday night.

no technical problems so far means they can go home soon. :angel:

Been watching the Grammys and wishing I recognized any performer other than Paul McCartney, Tony Bennett, Glen Campbell and the Beach Boys.

the bands that payed tribute to the beach boys had terrible harmony. even as old men, the beach boys still sounded better.

the bands that payed tribute to the beach boys had terrible harmony. even as old men, the beach boys still sounded better.

It's kinda sad to watch a bunch of old men up there who used to be the Beach Boys or Glen Campbell trying to conjure up the sounds of 40-50 years ago.

On the other hand, you have to give credit to Jennifer Hudson for that last minute performance. Not an easy song to sing.

you served your kids the easter bunny too?!?! :huh:

I lived in Hawaii for one year. I got a job up in Manoa Valley which was a vistors site. I was a Menahuni. That is a Hawaiian elf. (Stop that laughing!!) I was perfect for the job. I am only 4'8" tall. But the costume was the most riduculous thing I have ever worn. Right down to curly pointed toes. :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom