"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 02-24-2013, 01:17 PM   #9051
Certified Cake Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I cooked up two pounds of bacon this morning for breakfast and future uses. I actually didn't need the fat...
Andy, I am sure glad you added the "and future uses"...

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 01:22 PM   #9052
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
That's exactly what I was thinking.

Old 02-24-2013, 01:54 PM   #9053
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
There were two of us. Two pounds isn't all that much bacon. After all, that's uncooked weight.
Old 02-24-2013, 02:04 PM   #9054
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
That crossed my mind too.

And yes, great story Tom.

I'm just wondering what (in the second to last paragraph) "...(we lost) he told me that he went 2 for 2, so our head coach gave him the game ball." means.
I am not surprised at bt. You teach by example.
Old 02-24-2013, 02:20 PM   #9055
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Thanks, everyone, for your condolences and encouragement. I have had a few good cries, and I even had a session where I just didn't want to believe it and wanted him back, but for the most part I have a peace about it. Violet is sticking close to us but I think even she understands he isn't suffering. I think her being the one to find him was the best for all of us.

Today is get back to reality day. We have been off our diets through all of this, eating takeout, Chinese with TB's parents, etc. and today it's back to our watching our intolerances.

We are going to remove all of Joie's things except his two favourite toys which Violet seems to be moving all over the house - we will let her have them just for a little while.

We are also going to start doing serious thinking about whether we continue renovating this place the way we want it or just getting it in shape to sell and move closer to family and TB's work (still not far from here, but more convenient).
Oh Laurie, i'm so sorry. Haven't been following mush here diaylsis has whiped me out ately . Know how much I understand what this means for you. I had to put my Maggie down a few years ago and I have her little box here with me there are meny times I hold it and cry. it still hurts me so. Have some peace Laurie I"ll hold you close in my heart and thoughts. Love to you and TB.
ma
Old 02-24-2013, 10:26 PM   #9056
Chef Extraordinaire

lp, i'm terribly sorry for your loss. I too know how you feel and heartly sympathize having had to take 3 of our cats to the vet to be sent on to heaven in the past 5 years. (in this case, catholics got it wrong). joie's life energy is once again healthy and happy.

good luck, though, in making your decision on a move. i'm sure you'll find a new place to call home sweet home soon enough.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 01:05 AM   #9057
Certified Cake Maniac

Thanks, Ma. I will be PM'ing you soon.

Thanks, Bucky. I remember a few years ago you had to explain to your boy that one of the cats died and the way you handled it was so moving. I will never forget that.

And yes, I believe Joie is breathing freely in a meadow somewhere, wiggling his bum and giving nose kisses to the angels (hope I am not offending anyone here, it is the way I have to think of him or I become a pile of blubber again).

As for house hunting, we still have to wait for my father's estate, but we are looking at our options so we will be ready to make a decision when the time comes. I want to be closer to my sister while she goes through her cancer battle and it would be nice to be near TB's family as well. And where we are looking his travel time to work will be cut at least in half!

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 03:19 AM   #9058
Chef Extraordinaire

Well, I have been out and about all day and am quite tired, so nice to be relaxing now with a cup of tea

I ended up finding a few good things for Steve for his birthday...I also found some things for mum to buy for Steve and also mums partner Don to buy for Steve

He will be so happy this year as everything will be surprises presents and I know he will like everything, as I know what he likes

I am going to get him a couple more things tis week, I just had to get them ordered in
Old 02-25-2013, 07:00 AM   #9059
Chef Extraordinaire

thanks jharris, taxy, and addie, about the baseball stuff. all of the credit goes to our head coach for selecting him because of the goodness in his heart for a special boy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
That crossed my mind too.

And yes, great story Tom.

I'm just wondering what (in the second to last paragraph) "...(we lost) he told me that he went 2 for 2, so our head coach gave him the game ball." means.
2 for 2 means that he got up twice and got 2 hits, aka batting 1,000. normally, a walk or hit by pitch doesn't count towards that stat, but he didn't know that.

at the end of each game, the player who plays the best or does something outstanding on each team gets a new ball or "game ball". i was thrilled that julian got his during the season.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:04 AM   #9060
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Thanks, everyone, for your condolences and encouragement. I have had a few good cries, and I even had a session where I just didn't want to believe it and wanted him back, but for the most part I have a peace about it. Violet is sticking close to us but I think even she understands he isn't suffering. I think her being the one to find him was the best for all of us.

Today is get back to reality day. We have been off our diets through all of this, eating takeout, Chinese with TB's parents, etc. and today it's back to our watching our intolerances.

We are going to remove all of Joie's things except his two favourite toys which Violet seems to be moving all over the house - we will let her have them just for a little while.

We are also going to start doing serious thinking about whether we continue renovating this place the way we want it or just getting it in shape to sell and move closer to family and TB's work (still not far from here, but more convenient).
You are wise to let Violet keep Joie's toys. I really do believe that animals also go through a time of grieving. This is Violet's way. She is letting you know that she misses her playmate and friend also. Just don't be too quick to take them away from her. Give her time. She may even make them her own toys. How many of your father's belongings have you made your own? Should you decide to sell and move, those toys may just be the only items left for Violet to remember her friend.