What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well I'll have to find something else to add to my Amazon order just to get the item I want :mad:
I just stumbled into what they call an "add on" item. I've never seen this before. It's apparently an item they have... and it ships free with Prime... but you need to have $25 worth of other "qualifying" items in your cart to get the add on item. Otherwise they keep the item for your next order, provided you have $25 worth of qualifying stuff in that order.
And the only stinkin' item I even want is that $3.79 item! What the heck is this now? Why can't they just ship it with the other $15.93 items in my cart?
I wish I could remember what I wanted that mellon baller for... I'd add one in with my order.
I did an advanced search and found this: http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f17/hush-puppies-question-76098.html#post1072331

Was that what you were thinking of?

Sitting in our family room, enjoying the nice fire Himself built in our fireplace...and thinking how grateful I am that the house didn't burn down earlier! Himself has a habit of tossing logs into the fireplace to keep the fire going. Well, they don't always land right and are a bit unstable where they sit. A log tried to make a leap for freedom from the firebox, crashing through the screen and landing on the little rug that protects used to protect the tile hearth. Meanwhile, a large enough ember landed on the carpeting and left its mark - literally. A nice, nearly dime sized burn mark in the carpet. *sigh* At least the house didn't burn down. But my little rug in front of the fireplace is now face down in the snow down the steps from our front porch! Plus, I have to figure out how to hide this mark in the carpeting because I don't want to have to replace the entire room's worth when the house finally goes up for sale.

Thanks for looking, Linda. That wasn't it.
I'm thinking more that it might have been small meatballs. I've made Kayelle's Lemony Lamb Balls with Asparagus a few times and I'll bet I wanted to try a baller for that.

More a case of What I Did

I belong to the local Ladies Luncheon Club -( sounds a lot posher than it really is! :rolleyes:) It meets 4 times a year and has lunch and a speaker. Speakers (and food) tend to be variable but last Mondays was really good. Her talk with slides was entitled "The Lady Policeman" She was a retired policewoman who was the first woman to join the mounted division in the NW of England in the 1970s. It was one of the best speakers we've had in a long time for both content and delivery.

This is her:-
Cop Karen quits saddle after 28 years - Manchester Evening News

Incidentally, she told us that when she was due to retire she was worried about who would get her horse, Solomon, (the one in the picture)when she finished. 4 days before her finish date she went into work and was told that Solomon had been taken ill overnight and had had to be put down. A-hh!

Watching Chopped. I'm going to 'fess up. I've been back in the hospital since Saturday and am looking at going home Thursday. I don't want to talk about why because it's complicated. Just know that DH is an absolute rock and has been, always, as loving and helpful as he can be. He visits twice a day and brings me good food from restaurants :wub:

His boss' husband has serious medical issues, too, so she's very understanding about him taking time off on short notice, and with his job, he can do a lot of it on a laptop from here. I have excellent doctors and health insurance and am in a teaching hospital where I get "the academic advantage," as they say - a team of doctors in each specialty. So all in all, we're pretty fortunate.

So, I haven't cooked much since December, really. But I continue to collect recipes and make plans and DH has started some veggie seeds for a spring garden. So that's what I'm doing.
Hope you're feeling better soon, GG

Sitting in our family room, enjoying the nice fire Himself built in our fireplace...and thinking how grateful I am that the house didn't burn down earlier! Himself has a habit of tossing logs into the fireplace to keep the fire going. Well, they don't always land right and are a bit unstable where they sit. A log tried to make a leap for freedom from the firebox, crashing through the screen and landing on the little rug that protects used to protect the tile hearth. Meanwhile, a large enough ember landed on the carpeting and left its mark - literally. A nice, nearly dime sized burn mark in the carpet. *sigh* At least the house didn't burn down. But my little rug in front of the fireplace is now face down in the snow down the steps from our front porch! Plus, I have to figure out how to hide this mark in the carpeting because I don't want to have to replace the entire room's worth when the house finally goes up for sale.

Did you happen to put carpet in a closet or alcove? If you did, you can pull up that carpet, lay tile or laminate flooring in that spot and use the chunk of carpet for repairs.

I will be doing that when we move out of this apartment. The cats have dug up the carpet around the door ways into the bathroom and bedrooms. Or, I may just laminate the hallway. They are regularly on sale at Costco.

I belong to the local Ladies Luncheon Club -( sounds a lot posher than it really is! :rolleyes:) It meets 4 times a year and has lunch and a speaker. Speakers (and food) tend to be variable but last Mondays was really good. Her talk with slides was entitled "The Lady Policeman" She was a retired policewoman who was the first woman to join the mounted division in the NW of England in the 1970s. It was one of the best speakers we've had in a long time for both content and delivery.

This is her:-
Cop Karen quits saddle after 28 years - Manchester Evening News

Incidentally, she told us that when she was due to retire she was worried about who would get her horse, Solomon, (the one in the picture)when she finished. 4 days before her finish date she went into work and was told that Solomon had been taken ill overnight and had had to be put down. A-hh!
:cool:
Neato, about the lady cop.

When we were selling our other house, it had indoor/outdoor carpet in the kitchen. One day the dog found a little thread sticking up and we ended up with a hole 4 inch in diameter by the time she was finished with it. DH had installed the carpet himself and had a piece in the attic, but it was brand spanking clean and new as compared to the carpet in the room that was dull and a bit dingy. He cut out a piece and put it in, then we made sure to walk over it with out dirty shoes to dirty it up! LOL The house was somewhat of a fixer-upper, so it didn't make a big difference. Even when we had our carpet in this house professionally installed, we kept the piece they cut out in case we needed to make a repair. We never had to.

CG, depending on where the burn mark is, as a last resort, could you replace the tile hearth and extend it out a little further?

Sometimes a burn in the carpet just effects the tops of the tufts. A little snipping with scissors to trim of the burned tops of the fibers could do the trick.

We have several pieces of carpet in our spare bathtub (our extra storage room) and use a few throughout the house. We switch them around every once in awhile so they are all evenly worn. This may all be moot because we are thinking of ripping it all out in favour or hardwood and in floor heating. Our cement floors are great in the summer but make it hard to heat the place in winter.

I am about to do some gluten free baking - banana bread, zucchini bread, blueberry muffins and cranberry muffins. I do a lot at once because I have to scrub the kitchen down and remove anything that might give off cross-contamination. Even though we don't do a lot od wheat around here, my catering and special diets background makes be really careful. We don't need any more sickness around here! :)

I just finished lunch, a pork chop and some pasta.
I _should_ go to the grocery store. I need gas (Giant Eagle discount) and groceries. And I know tomorrow they will be more crowded. Especially with a break in the weather. Not to mention the $4.xx/lb crab legs... But did I mention I just had a pork chop and pasta for lunch? And the sun feels so nice coming through the windows... I think I'll just sit here a while...

I just finished lunch, a pork chop and some pasta.
I _should_ go to the grocery store. I need gas (Giant Eagle discount) and groceries. And I know tomorrow they will be more crowded. Especially with a break in the weather. Not to mention the $4.xx/lb crab legs... But did I mention I just had a pork chop and pasta for lunch? And the sun feels so nice coming through the windows... I think I'll just sit here a while...

Go ahead and sit for a while. We'll wake you in a little while.

I just heated up the beef pot roast, some leftover roast potatoes with it.....fried some onion, green and red peppers, added this to steamed kale.

<burp> Excuse me!

Supposed to go to town too, for some shopping but the zzzzz's are about to descend upon me. Talk to ya later!

I just ordered a couple of travel shelves from Amazon. Our favorite hotel in Mexico doesn't have drawers, so we have to stack all our clothes on a couple of shelves in the closet, and it becomes quite a mess trying to find stuff. These hang and are very light. I'd been thinking about how to make/build something like these, now I don't have to!

http://t.brookstone.com/shelves-to-go-packable-travel-shelves#tabs

I just ordered a couple of travel shelves from Amazon. Our favorite hotel in Mexico doesn't have drawers, so we have to stack all our clothes on a couple of shelves in the closet, and it becomes quite a mess trying to find stuff. These hang and are very light. I'd been thinking about how to make/build something like these, now I don't have to!

http://t.brookstone.com/shelves-to-go-packable-travel-shelves#tabs
Let us know how well they work. I like that you can load them and then stick them in the suitcase.

Keeping busy so I don't fret about going back for more testing re: mammogram on Monday. Radiologist didn't like s/thing on one side...time of ultrasound and other tests. Good news is I'll get the results at the end of the 1.5 hour appointment and not have to wait. You know s/thing is not good when the imaging place leaves you two messages in one day. I was told to expect a letter in a week-10 days. I didn't expect two calls the next day.

Loaves are in the oven and smelling delightful. However Monkey lived up to her name and jumped up on the counter (not allowed), knocking over the fresh batch of gluten free muffin mix I just made (divides into 12 dozen) all over the counters, floor and herself. :mad:

now to add the time to clean up and make another batch to the time and cost of the first. Oh yeah, and I have to console Violet for me yelling at Monkey.

At least my fur kids keep life interesting. :LOL:

Last edited:
Keeping busy so I don't fret about going back for more testing re: mammogram on Monday. Radiologist didn't like s/thing on one side...time of ultrasound and other tests. Good news is I'll get the results at the end of the 1.5 hour appointment and not have to wait. You know s/thing is not good when the imaging place leaves you two messages in one day. I was told to expect a letter in a week-10 days. I didn't expect two calls the next day.
CWS, hugs and prayers going your way.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom