"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 02-26-2013, 05:34 PM   #9101
Chef Extraordinaire

I am taking a break from working on my needlework. Instead of Easy Listening I have Golden Oldies on.

As I was sitting there I got to thinking about a broom. I have one that I hate. It is slanted and some of the bristles are bent out to mid air. I want to get a corn broom. But they are soooo expensive. But I just may make it another birthday present for me. This broom was given to me. I have always had a corn broom. And so did my mother. You would think I would be happy with the one I have. I have a very small kitchen. It takes all of ten seconds to sweep it. And an even smaller bathroom. That never needs sweeping. In New England it was always considered bad luck if you didn't move into a new home with a new broom. Some families also started each new year with a new broom. My mother had an inside broom for the house and an outside one for the front steps and sidewalk. When the inside one got worn down, then it became the outside one. That outside broom got worn down to the nubs. No waste there. So it is decided, I will get me a new broom for my birthday.

Old 02-26-2013, 07:14 PM   #9102
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I am taking a break from working on my needlework. Instead of Easy Listening I have Golden Oldies on.

As I was sitting there I got to thinking about a broom. I have one that I hate. It is slanted and some of the bristles are bent out to mid air. I want to get a corn broom. But they are soooo expensive. But I just may make it another birthday present for me. This broom was given to me. I have always had a corn broom. And so did my mother. You would think I would be happy with the one I have. I have a very small kitchen. It takes all of ten seconds to sweep it. And an even smaller bathroom. That never needs sweeping. In New England it was always considered bad luck if you didn't move into a new home with a new broom. Some families also started each new year with a new broom. My mother had an inside broom for the house and an outside one for the front steps and sidewalk. When the inside one got worn down, then it became the outside one. That outside broom got worn down to the nubs. No waste there. So it is decided, I will get me a new broom for my birthday.
When I was growing up all of the old timers used to break a single straw off of the corn broom to test baked goods, to see if they were done in the center.

Today folks would go on a hunger strike if they saw anyone do that!

Old 02-27-2013, 01:20 AM   #9103
Chef Extraordinaire

Hi guys

Today I had a hair appointment, just a trim

I also did a bit of grocery shopping and for the rest of the afternoon I was on the recliner reading The Hobbit on my wonderful Kindle Paperwhite, this certainly is the best Kindle thus far!

It has been steadily raining here all day, so it has been nice cosied up in the recliner reading all afternoon
Old 02-27-2013, 08:45 AM   #9104
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Dealing with a chest cold...
Old 02-27-2013, 08:51 AM   #9105
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Me too! And I have a coldsore
Just made myself a Cal-C-Vita fizzy and had a large helping of homemade chilli ginger relish with my lunch and a handful of nasturtium flowers and leaves and a good squirt of silver mineral supplement drops! This cold will not get the better of me

Hope you feel better soon!

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:02 AM   #9106
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snip 13 View Post
Me too! And I have a coldsore
Just made myself a Cal-C-Vita fizzy and had a large helping of homemade chilli ginger relish with my lunch and a handful of nasturtium flowers and leaves and a good squirt of silver mineral supplement drops! This cold will not get the better of me

Hope you feel better soon!
Get well soon ladies.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:06 AM   #9107
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Get well soon ladies.
Thanks I'll be I'm tough...

Old 02-27-2013, 09:40 AM   #9108
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Brilliant vid...LOL! Thanks TL! I rubbed in some Vick's on my chest and got some sleep. The congestion is better this morning. I've forgotten how to cough since I quit smoking...feeble effort on my part.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:42 AM   #9109
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta View Post
looks like a good start, taxy.there is definitely a learning curve with food shopping online. and you seem to have a positive attitude toward new experiences, taxy. my food preferences are naturally highly individual, but they also tend to be overly specific, and it has been necessary for me to ease up on that rigidity somewhat. just recently i was pleasantly surprised to note that my shopper had bought my three tomatoes with one that was fully ripened, ready-to-eat, and the other two more Firm--just like 'I would have done, myself'!!
in particular, i needed to learn for which items to allow substitutions and which ones not. today, i'll be getting a sub of organic limes, and still pay only for the generic ones. i don't want to be left with no bread for a week just because 'flour garden bakery' sold out of their sourdough rye loaves... but, if they don't have my favorite brand of kim chi, i will skip it for now....
my food order is on the way, so i have to leave for now....taxy, i finally gave up on getting pate home, too, at least for now. i can't wait to taste the french brie i ordered this time--a last minute bit of impulse buying that somehow managed to slip past me....
So, how did your order turn out? Was the Brie good?

I used to place phone orders, so I had some idea of the limitations.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:59 AM   #9110
Master Chef

Trying to figure out how to put a photo from Gmail onto DC. Why can I never remember how to do this?!