What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Would this work for you?

Chromecast

hmmm, I'm not sure...
My goal is to make it so that when I am watching a Netflix (or similar) movie on my main TV, I can pick it up in the kitchen, too, or any other TV. I need something to send the programming signal from my PS3 to both TV's... or at least the one TV wirelessly. I was thinking some kind of transmittor that plugs into the HDMI outless of the Playstation and a receiver unit that plugs into the TV. That might do it. I'll have to read the details.

hmmm, I'm not sure...
My goal is to make it so that when I am watching a Netflix (or similar) movie on my main TV, I can pick it up in the kitchen, too, or any other TV. I need something to send the programming signal from my PS3 to both TV's... or at least the one TV wirelessly. I was thinking some kind of transmittor that plugs into the HDMI outless of the Playstation and a receiver unit that plugs into the TV. That might do it. I'll have to read the details.

DirecTV does that, you can watch the same program from any TV in the house, and pick up where you left off. With internet connection, it will even wash your windows. You can also record 5 shows at a time, and watch them from anywhere in the world. My mind is completely boggled by all this techie stuff. I'm exhausted.

DirecTV does that, you can watch the same program from any TV in the house, and pick up where you left off. With internet connection, it will even wash your windows. You can also record 5 shows at a time, and watch them from anywhere in the world. My mind is completely boggled by all this techie stuff. I'm exhausted.

Your new DTV box will let you stream from Netflix or Amazon and send the signal wirelessly to a different TV?

Your new DTV box will let you stream from Netflix or Amazon and send the signal wirelessly to a different TV?

I think so. We'd have to hook up the internet connection to the TVs, and with our country mouse, miserly Verizon share everything plan (that used to be unlimited GB, but no longer, don't even get me started) it should work. I have Amazon Prime, and AFAIK, it will work. No idea as to Netflix, but it should be the same premise.

I think so. We'd have to hook up the internet connection to the TVs, and with our country mouse, miserly Verizon share everything plan (that used to be unlimited GB, but no longer, don't even get me started) it should work. I have Amazon Prime, and AFAIK, it will work. No idea as to Netflix, but it should be the same premise.

What do you mean by, Hook up the internet connection?
Connect to WiFi?
Do you have one of those USB gizmos like Andy posted?
How do you hook up an internet connection to a plain jane HDTV of a few years ago?

Connect to WiFi?
How do you hook up an internet connection to a plain jane HDTV of a few years ago?

Our HDTV is a few years old, too. We got the Chromecast Andy mentioned, but only for one TV so far. It works great for Netflix and YouTube videos. Amazon and Google are apparently having a tiff so Amazon Prime doesn't work as well.

When you plug the Chromecast into the TV, it prompts you to install Chromecast software on your tablet or smartphone and connect it to your wifi network. Then you can connect and "cast" whatever videos you can view on your handheld devices onto your TV. And since your progress in a video is "remembered" on the device, you can pick up where you left off on another TV.

If you have a Playstation, I think you'll have more options.

Last edited:
Connect to WiFi?

I think it's to connect to WiFi. There's a menu that you pop up on DTV that will allow you to connect. Amazon Prime also has a menu. I have a cobbled-together system I put together consisting of a Verizon USB that I stick into a Cradlepoint router, and plug in a booster, so it makes the whole house wireless. The DTV guy offered to set the wireless DTV up for us, but I declined as Verizon charges an arm and half a leg if you go over their GB limit. I may have to play with it some.

All my TVs are old, one of them over 20 years! I've managed to link them all. The one in the living room I linked to the family room with a kit from the local video store. DTV frowns upon this because they want you to buy another receiver, but I got away with it.

Last edited:
Our HDTV is a few years old, too. We got the Chromecast Andy mentioned, but only for one TV so far. It works great for Netflix and YouTube videos. Amazon and Google are apparently having a tiff so Amazon Prime doesn't work as well.

When you plug the Chromecast into the TV, it prompts you to install Chromecast software on your tablet or smartphone and connect it to your wifi network. Then you can connect and "cast" whatever videos you can view on your handheld devices onto your TV. And since your progress in a video is "remembered" on the device, you can pick up where you left off on another TV.

If you have a Playstation, I think you'll have more options.

Cool. Thanks.
For 35 bucks maybe I'll order one.

I think it's to connect to WiFi. There's a menu that you pop up on DTV that will allow you to connect. Amazon Prime also has a menu. I have a cobbled-together system I put together consisting of a Verizon USB that I stick into a Cradlepoint router, and plug in a booster, so it makes the whole house wireless. The DTV guy offered to set the wireless DTV up for us, but I declined as Verizon charges an arm and half a leg if you go over their GB limit. I may have to play with it some.

All my TVs are old, one of them over 20 years! I've managed to link them all. The one in the living room I linked to the family room with a kit from the local video store. DTV frowns upon this because they want you to buy another receiver, but I got away with it.

Yes! A kit! Is it wireless?

Yes! A kit! Is it wireless?

I'm scrounging for the manuals here, Pac, please bear with me. As I recall, I had to drill some holes in the floor and feed some wires, but that was 10 or so years ago. I think I used the RCA Hookup designed for DVDs and gaming. It was recommended by the local video store guy as a work-around. It still works great, I can watch the same program on 2 different TVs, and can now control both from 2 different remotes.

Right now, all our TVs talk to each other. I plan to explore the wifi connection, and will report back.

The only reason I was able to stay up until 10 o'clock is because I took a nap. Eyes are going crossed looking at the computer screen.

Goodnight all!

I'm about to go to bed. Hopefully I won't cough all night, though TB is doing enough coughing for both of us, poor guy. He has a chest infection and is on antibiotic and special cough medicine.

Mine is "just" my asthma, and I am trying really hard to not need prednisone so I am using my inhalers and nebulizer as directed, staying away from triggers and taking my "Singular" twice instead of once a day (as directed by the doctor).

'Night all.

I'm on my way into the City for my follow-up appointment. Plan to hit a couple of the specialty grocery stores before heading back out to the country. I hope this is the final trip into the City for awhile--I've been to the City four times in seven days. That's more often than I usually hit the City in two months. I almost think I should've packed a lunch...

Yes! Yes, yes, yes!
I have been waiting for wireless technology to hit TV's! I have been wanting to send a wireless HD signal to my other TV without having to run the HDMI cable. I'll have to give Best Buy a call this week and see if it's feasible yet. If not, I'm sure it won't be long.

At&t uverse TV has wireless TV boxes so that you can put a TV box anywhere even if a room isn't wired for it. A friend has the wireless boxes and says they work well. I'm surprised that other providers don't have this in place already.

That was pretty cool, huh PF? We missed the first couple of minutes tonight. Figured all we missed was the prez doing the intro, so no biggie! :LOL:

It was very cool and I like the animation instead of doing "recreations" of points in history. And right after that we watched a couple episodes of Big Bang Theory, LOL!

And on, and on. Yesterday, while surfing for something to watch, I found about 8 different channels showing 8 different episodes! Weird!

I watched all of those on Saturday, but then I am a Cosmos fan from way back. I'm eagerly awaiting the next installment.

It's amazing how much more we have discovered since Dr. Carl did the first series.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom