What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:LOL: Gramma didn't drink, but Grampa did. When I came home from college one time with a hellacious cough and cold, she made me a hot toddy that knocked my socks, and me, out! When I woke up, I felt human again.....
My aunt who lived with us wasn't much of a drinker. If she offered to make you a hot toddy you knew to get into bed first because you might have a hard time finding it later. :LOL: Just for S&Gs my father-in-law managed to get her to have two drinks at our rehearsal dinner. Auntie was the entertainment for the rest of the night...

I'm trying to stay awake until the dishwasher gets to the "dry" part of the cycle so I can open it up, blot cup bottoms, and let it air dry. For the last couple of nights I'm back to waking up in the middle of my sleep and having a hard time getting back to sleep. Last night it was a 2 1/2 hour stretch. If this happens again I'm going to either get up and start dusting the living room or grab LittleBit, turn the TV on really quiet, and the two of us can fall asleep with me laying sideways on my snuggler chair with the cat on my tummy! She has that effect. :LOL:

:LOL: Gramma didn't drink, but Grampa did. When I came home from college one time with a hellacious cough and cold, she made me a hot toddy that knocked my socks, and me, out! When I woke up, I felt human again.

I'm making up some more rhubarb sauce. DH really likes it, and it helps to free up the freezer.

My Grandmother dosed me once with a Valium when I was sick (chest cold)...I woke up a couple days later, about 5 minutes before she called my parents. I was the first and last Grandchild she tried to "doctor".

I've been trying on my three new pairs of glasses that just arrived in the mail. They will take a little getting used to. The 'script is a fair bit stronger than the previous one. The optometrist warned me that they might make me nauseous at first. So far so good.

I have never understood that. If you put the glasses on and they are too strong how can the prescription be correct? I always expect to be able to see "perfectly" when I put new glasses on. Eventually, your eyes adjust to the new prescription, but my eyes are already adjusted to the old prescription, so why isn't that the correct prescription for me? More than half the time I don't wear my glasses.

My Grandmother dosed me once with a Valium when I was sick (chest cold)...I woke up a couple days later, about 5 minutes before she called my parents. I was the first and last Grandchild she tried to "doctor".

For years, when I took cough medicine I was grabbing a spoon out of the kitchen drawer. That cough medicine used to knock me out and I would go into a dead sleep until the alarm went off the next day. One day I realized that the instructions said 2 tsp and the spoon I was using was a tablespoon. Now they give you those little cups with the line on the side to measure. I feel like I'm hardly taking any by comparison.

I have never understood that. If you put the glasses on and they are too strong how can the prescription be correct? I always expect to be able to see "perfectly" when I put new glasses on. Eventually, your eyes adjust to the new prescription, but my eyes are already adjusted to the old prescription, so why isn't that the correct prescription for me? More than half the time I don't wear my glasses.

Your brain adjusts to the incorrect prescription and has to adjust to the correct prescription.

When you go to the eye doctor and they take your glasses, they are measuring the prescription. The optometrist starts with your old prescription and then goes up or down from there to see how much your eyes have changed. Sitting in a dark room with black and white cards, helps to distract your brain and you get a real reading on the changes that m\need to be made.

Wearing the new prescription puts less stress on your eyes, so while your brain is going "What?" your eyes are getting a much needed rest. It only takes a day or two for your brain to catch up and things start looking normal.

Shrek got his first pair of progressive tri-focals yesterday, considering the hard time he had with lined bi-focals, I was hoping this go round would be easier on him and it was. He wouldn't even try progressives for about 8 years...between the optician and I, we got him talked into it and he is a happy boy.

I got a full night's sleep without one cough! I think all the talk of killing it with booze must have scared it away. :LOL:

Dawg, I am not running a fever or anything and am quite familiar with bronchitis and pneumonia (had them most of my life), so I don't think I have either. I promised TB that if I had another bad night I would go to the doctor and I didn't, so we will just wait and see. I feel much better for just being able to sleep.

PF explained it better than I can. Everything was clearer with the new glasses right away, but things weren't quite the right shape. My brain has pretty much adjusted to the new distortion, so I don't get the odd shapes now. (stuff too wide at the top, too narrow at the bottom)

The first time I had progressive bifocal glasses, I was shocked to see the walls of hallways were very distorted. It took two weeks before they looked straight to me.

I decided since I hadn't coughed all night and was feeling pretty good that I would "test the waters" so to speak and I just came home from the pool where I walked almost a kilometer! I wasn't planning to do that much but it just felt good! I will be giving more detail in the weight thread.

I am now taking a break before working on my craft room. It will mostly be sitting and sorting today.

I went to start the car and run some errands. It wouldn't start. No noise, no clicks, nothing. While I could've gotten it jumped, I figured that's why I have AAA. Called, and got a jump within a half hour. I knew there was a reason I pay these guys! Now I need to figure out how to reprogram the Sirius radio, it's been years since I last did that. :sigh:

Anndd, I went to start the car again, a bit of buzzing, then nothing. Another call to AAA. This time I think I'll head to the mechanic....

Last edited:
Shrek got his first pair of progressive tri-focals yesterday, considering the hard time he had with lined bi-focals, I was hoping this go round would be easier on him and it was. He wouldn't even try progressives for about 8 years...between the optician and I, we got him talked into it and he is a happy boy.

I've been wearing progressive for years. My reading vision is worse than my distance vision. At first I just had reading glasses but I got tired of taking them off and on, so next time I got the progressive. I was way too vain to wear bifocals. I have heard that the stronger your prescription is, the harder it is to get used to progressive.

Take a look at the Honda Civic too. A great small car.
I looked at the Civic and took a test drive but with my long legs I just couldn't get comfortable. We have a Nissan Rogue now and they have a March sales event with 0% financing for return customers. Soooo.....we"ll see what tomorrow brings. ;)

I looked at the Civic and took a test drive but with my long legs I just couldn't get comfortable. We have a Nissan Rogue now and they have a March sales event with 0% financing for return customers. Soooo.....we"ll see what tomorrow brings. ;)

Good luck. The Sentra is a great car too.

I just finished building the last of my cube furniture for my craft room. It was a double height with shelves for four more photo boxes which I attached on top of the previous set of four. Now I can sort out all the family tree photos I have and they will be neatly tucked away. I should be ready to start taking pictures. It is turning out almost better than I had planned. I still have a long way to go, but I am having fun.

I got back home about half an hour ago. I went to spend some time with a friend who is moving to London.

The traffic on the way there was horrible. Today's driving quirk was excessive lane changing. Well, that only lasted till the traffic slowed to a crawl. It took me an hour and fifteen minutes to drive a little less than 30 km, ~18 miles. :wacko:

At least paying for parking was easy. We have a system where you have to walk to the nearest pay station and enter your parking spot number. It was cold and windy. Then I remembered that I have an app for parking. I sat in the car, out of the wind, and paid for my parking with my phone. I also renewed the spot without having to leave my friend's place.

I got some of her clothes that she doesn't fit any more and some matching place mats and napkins. And now I'm trying to figure out a snack for while I read before going to sleep.

Back
Top Bottom