What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Reading about the recent earthquakes a couple of hours ago. I was in the recliner watching TV, and it started rocking back and forth. And it wasn't a rocking recliner, either.... :ohmy: :ermm:
Are you okay? Are you near the epicentre? Always scary when you feel an earthquake, 'cause you never know how strong it is going to be.

I received a goodly sum of money for my birthday. I am not one to rush out and spend, spend, spend when this happens. I put the money in the bank and gave it some thought as to what I really wanted or needed. I decided to get the $35.00 pair of Rosle tongs. I have been holding back all this time because of the high cost. But the reviews are great and you and lock and unlock with just one hand. I also ordered a bed pillow. The kind where you can sit up as it has arm rests. Just what I need so I can sit and do my needlework while I am watching TV. I also ordered a 2-cup Pyrex measuring cup. Something I have needed for a long time. I still have money left over and I will just let it sit there incase I should want anything else at a later date. And the birthday just keeps go on and one. :angel:

Reading about the recent earthquakes a couple of hours ago. I was in the recliner watching TV, and it started rocking back and forth. And it wasn't a rocking recliner, either.... :ohmy: :ermm:
That was tonight? I was listening online to the Indians/Padres baseball game. With it still being pre-season, my only audio choice was of the Padres announcers. That's OK, their play-by-play guy is a hoot to listen to! Anyway, during the game (the Padres were getting crushed - in that case the losing team's announcers usually get really silly) he nonchalantly says "did you feel the earthquake?" I thought he was referring to one you guys had a week or two or so ago. Nope, guess he made that comment as it was happening! I don't know how you react, but I wouldn't be that calm! Glad you still have power...and a recliner, I trust?

LOL Addie! :LOL:

Taxi and CG...no, not near the epicenter here, that was about 100 miles away. The folks down there felt the large "jolt" and we just got the tail end rolling motion. If I would have been up walking around, I probably wouldn't have felt it. :) A friend on the other side of town (about 2 mi away, haha) didn't actually feel it, but her chandelier swayed and her dogs went berserk.

What was incredibly scary is when the big one hit in Northridge in 1994. My daughter was a teen and down there at her dad's. We couldn't reach her for many hours. No one could reach their loved ones, all the phone lines were either down or flooded with people trying to get through. It was pitch black in the city, except for fires burning everywhere. There's a lot of pictures on google. Very bad one. I felt that one up here too, it seemed like the rockin' and rollin' went on for so long...

CG, that's funny about the sports announcers - there was a Dodger game going on at the time, and they calmy talked about it as it was happening. :LOL:

I bet roadfix felt this one!! :ohmy:

Cheryl, I grew up less than five miles from the epicentre of the Northridge quake. I'm glad my family moved. I was visiting them in Costa Mesa when it hit. I remember waking up and wondering. Then I saw the chandelier swinging and thought, "Oh phooey! I haven't been here for 24 hours yet, and they have to go and have an earthquake."

Tonight is the condo association's annual meeting. I'm putting off prepping to give the treasurer's report. Maybe after lunch...

I'm gonna guess that you are all caught up on the bookkeeping.

I don't do the actual debits and credits. The property manager has a staff that does that stuff. I work with him to prepare the annual budget, direct expenditures, recommend investments for our funds, etc.

Our year ended on 12/31. The auditor has prepared financials for the association. Tonight at the annual meeting I make a short presentation to residents on the high points of last year's finances. I discuss variances vs. the year's budget, savings, major projects, etc. Then I discuss the new year's budget and reasons for any changes. We had a 5% fee increase this January. The first increase in three years.

Along the way, I answer questions that may come up. As we are in very good financial condition and don't often raise condo fees, residents are comfortable with what we're doing.

I don't do the actual debits and credits. The property manager has a staff that does that stuff. I work with him to prepare the annual budget, direct expenditures, recommend investments for our funds, etc.

Our year ended on 12/31. The auditor has prepared financials for the association. Tonight at the annual meeting I make a short presentation to residents on the high points of last year's finances. I discuss variances vs. the year's budget, savings, major projects, etc. Then I discuss the new year's budget and reasons for any changes. We had a 5% fee increase this January. The first increase in three years.

Along the way, I answer questions that may come up. As we are in very good financial condition and don't often raise condo fees, residents are comfortable with what we're doing.

Well if you ever need a second opinion on income/expenditures, drop me a line. I'm very good at misappropriating funds for personal enjoyment.

I'm trying my darndest to avoid cleaning the bathroom, but I have to get back to it. The TB cleaner has been in the bowl so long I'm afraid it might be melting the porcelain. Back to work. Yuck. Seems I have a bit of Maynard G. Krebs in me. :LOL:

Wow, taxy....you and your family missed that one by a hair. :ohmy:

Well, I think they moved to Orange County in the late '80s.
I spoke with my sister today. She was on business on the East Coast when that recent quake hit. She lives 5 miles from the epicentre. :ohmy:

Some stuff fell off of shelves. Some stuff, surprisingly, didn't fall. The only damage was some CD cases. A porcelain vase and a crystal vase fell on carpet with no damage!

just scratching my head...I am a 3 week old customer of Century Link for my Internet service, and I "am having connectivity issues". Technician was here a few hours..can't see the problem, says it is not at my house or even local. He left. Guess I just watch the modem for signs of life? Meanwhile I have started to use a neighbors airwaves;).

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom