"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 03-08-2013, 10:06 AM   #9281
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Should have said, the city cleans them, where there are sidewalks. There's sidewalk on my side of the street, not the other and none at all on some of the streets nearby. I would be really ticked off if I had kids who had to get anywhere by themselves.
Kids don't go anywhere by themselves any more. They take busses to and from school and have 'playdates' the parents arrange. One parent picks up the kid(s) and takes then to her house to play with her child then takes them home.

Life sure is different these days.

Old 03-08-2013, 10:52 AM   #9282
Executive Chef

an interesting development here after a snow storm that left many thousands of people with no heat or utilities: this being a university town, there are more than 60 motels in the immediate area. many of these motels are offering their rooms at much reduced rates to folks without power. these motels are full up with families thankful for a warm place where to spend a comfortable night and recharge everyone's batteries and spirits....:)

Old 03-08-2013, 12:07 PM   #9283
Certified Cake Maniac

Woke up not feeling much better than when I went to bed - maybe a little worse. Cough and sore throat have set in, still have chills and sweats. Stomach is still unsettled, but other symptoms have stopped. Guess I will be laying low again today. I had so much planned, but with my immune system I have to be careful.

I had a very long conversation with my sister this morning. She is really down as not only does she have the tumor in her tailbone but they now believe she has ovarian cancer as well. The treatment of these two types of cancer separately are bad enough, but together.... She has to wait until after her surgery on her back for any surgery and/or chemo on the other because she needs all her strength to come through a complicated 12 hour procedure. And no date is set for the back yet. I am trying to console her but at the same time am devastated that every member of my family has had some form of cancer. I am not worried for myself in the least, just shocked and angry at this horrible disease.

So, I am planning to go curl up in my recliner with some ginger tea (soothing for my tummy) and watch curling. This is the last weekend for the men.

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 12:10 PM   #9284
Master Chef

Watching the snow falling and waiting for my dough to rise for Kaiser rolls.
Old 03-08-2013, 12:16 PM   #9285
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
Woke up not feeling much better than when I went to bed - maybe a little worse. Cough and sore throat have set in, still have chills and sweats. Stomach is still unsettled, but other symptoms have stopped. Guess I will be laying low again today. I had so much planned, but with my immune system I have to be careful.

I had a very long conversation with my sister this morning. She is really down as not only does she have the tumor in her tailbone but they now believe she has ovarian cancer as well. The treatment of these two types of cancer separately are bad enough, but together.... She has to wait until after her surgery on her back for any surgery and/or chemo on the other because she needs all her strength to come through a complicated 12 hour procedure. And no date is set for the back yet. I am trying to console her but at the same time am devastated that every member of my family has had some form of cancer. I am not worried for myself in the least, just shocked and angry at this horrible disease.

So, I am planning to go curl up in my recliner with some ginger tea (soothing for my tummy) and watch curling. This is the last weekend for the men.
{{{{HUGS}}}
Old 03-08-2013, 12:25 PM   #9286
Chef Extraordinaire

I am "continuing to hold".
It's a beautiful sunny day and I should be outside doing something, but here I sit... for the last 30 minutes... long enough I grabbed my laptop.
Old 03-08-2013, 01:27 PM   #9287
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
(((Hugs Laurie)))
Old 03-08-2013, 02:05 PM   #9288
Everymom

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
I am "continuing to hold".
It's a beautiful sunny day and I should be outside doing something, but here I sit... for the last 30 minutes... long enough I grabbed my laptop.
Ditto. Don't feel much like moving at the moment.
Old 03-08-2013, 02:37 PM   #9289
Chef Extraordinaire

I didn't get my call taken until about 1:45. All that for a ten minute conversation.
They should have one of those systems that calls you back when it's your turn.
Old 03-08-2013, 02:42 PM   #9290
Chef Extraordinaire

I cleaned the bottom sashes of my two windows in the main room. Snowing like a banshee out and I decide to clean windows. I can't reach the top sashes. The dang windows are two stories high. I am going to have to ask Spike to bring me a tall ladder. Don't worry. He won't let me climb up. He will bring the ladder and do it for me. If not, I will borrow one from maintenance and set it up just before he is due to arrive here to watch TV with me. Then when he sees me starting to climb, he will stop me.