"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 03-11-2013, 02:19 AM   #9341
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylie1969 View Post
Tom, the Adelaide Cup gets a holiday same as The Melbourne Cup...we dont mind a day off just because there is a horse race going on

The PVR is great...is a Personal Video Recorder, it records live TV to a hard drive

The one we bought mum has a built in hard drive, it has a twin receiver, it is a DVD player and a DVD recorder and also records live TV, 2 stations at once, it is pretty cool
Oh man do I miss my PVR
Just to be even more confusing BT, we had a HDPVR

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 03:42 AM   #9342
Chef Extraordinaire

Yep, mums is a HDPVR too

Where has yours disappeared to Snip?

Old 03-11-2013, 04:11 AM   #9343
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylie1969 View Post
Yep, mums is a HDPVR too

Where has yours disappeared to Snip?
Had to sell it. The monthly subscription was too much for our budget.
Paid cash for the PVR but it's useless without the DSTV subscription.

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 06:18 AM   #9344
Chef Extraordinaire

boy, i wish we got a day off for the kentucky derby. that would be nice.

we only get holidays when someone does something great, then dies.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 06:43 AM   #9345
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post

But we usualy have to wait a couple of hundred years. Hey, we get March and April 17th off.
Old 03-11-2013, 06:58 AM   #9346
Chef Extraordinaire

are the banks and post office in boston closed on those days, addie?

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 07:26 AM   #9347
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
are the banks and post office in Boston closed on those days, addie?
Only the state licensed banks. If it says Federal before or N.A. after the name, they are open. It is a state holiday. The Post Office is open I think. They just hold back the mail to businesses to be delivered the next day. Mailmen hate those days. It makes the next days work twice and heavy. All courts and state offices are closed.

We make a big deal out of those two days. After all, everyone's freedom in this country started in Boston. It was our discontent with all the new laws and taxes that England was placing on the colonies that set us off to rebelling. Then when the Boston Massacre happened, that really did it. We have in the Massachusetts Historical Society some documents that the rest of the country is not privy to unless they are willing to travel here and read them under the tightest security.

And you have to remember, John Adams, Hancock, Sam Adams, and Ben Franklin among others came from Boston. Yes, Ben Franklin. He was born and lived here until he was 17. His parents have the biggest grave marker in the Granary Burial Grounds.

March 17th - Remember, Boston was the only town that was blockaded by the British. By both land and sea. They were finally driven out of Boston Harbor on March 17th. Long before it was celebrated as St. Patirck's Day.

April 17th - The British went to Lexington and started the war there on the Town Green. And then they marched on to Concord. Most people think it all started in Concord. There is a plaque at the place in Concord where British soldiers are buried. On Ralph Waldo Emerson's property.

Yes, we take our history very seriously. Every where you walk in downtown Boston, there is a plaque commerating an event that led up to the war or where someone of interest lived.

I love Boston history. Get me started on it, and there is no stopping me. As you can tell by this missive.
Old 03-11-2013, 07:34 AM   #9348
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:

Bucky, I can hop on my scooter and be at Suffolk Downs in a matter of three minutes on Derby Day. That place is packed to the walls on that day. Would you believe I have lived here almost all of my life and have never been there to see a race. I have seen them running from the top of the hill where they filmed Six Bridges To Cross. I have served jockeys and other personnel that work there, (boy do they smell) as a waitress in a restuarant with walking distance of the track. But never been there. I have been to their large conference room when my GD was always competing in Miss East Boston and other pageants. Yes she always won. the conference room is totally separate from the track, yet part of it. I did practice driving in their empty parking lot as a teenager once. Everyone goes there to learn how to drive.
Old 03-11-2013, 07:49 AM   #9349
Chef Extraordinaire

I'm procrastinating. I have conf. calls all day. I should get off my butt, feed the dogs, feed the chickens, collect and wash eggs, take a shower, load files. Instead I'm on DC.
Old 03-11-2013, 01:43 PM   #9350
Chef Extraordinaire

I am getting ready to go out for supper tonight with my daughter and her husband. Have my hair done, makeup on, and clothes laid out. We are going to a local restaurant. Her husband teaches school tomorrow night so we can't go then. My daughter doesn't want to drive because of the weakness in her muscles from the chemo. She is afraid she wouldn't have the strength to step on the brakes if it was necessary. I think I am going to order Eggplant Parm. One of my favorite dishes. Definitely my favorite veggie.