"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 03-13-2013, 01:45 AM   #9371
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
Oh Snip I am so sorry to hear about Daniel's sleep patterns. Do you know if it is night terrors? Sounds like it. My friend's son had them and did finally grow out of them, but then he had something similar the last couple of years (he is now 17). They told her kids have them during growth spurts. I used to wake up with horrible pains in my legs and I grew tall quite fast - the doctor told my Mom that "growing pains" can be very real because your bones are literally growing over night. Maybe if you look these up on Google you might get some answers.

I had a rough night too - my side pain is back though they keep saying it isn't my kidney. I finally got into a solid sleep about 2:30 am but still woke at my usual 7, going back for an hour but then was awake for good.

I am trying to figure out my plan for the day. If I decide to enter a cake decorating contest I will be spending much of the day solidifying the design. I haven't done a cake in awhile and am both excited and a little nervous. It is just an online contest so not too strenuous but I am rusty.

If I decide not to do the cake, then my decision for the day turns to which room do I work on that needs a good spring cleaning - our bedroom, the storage room or do some work on my craft room.

Of course tiredness and pain may make all the decisions for me
Thanks I've survived almost 6 years of it so I guess I can handle it. Just gets a bit much sometimes. It is night terrors. I got them as a child too. They get worse if he was too excited during the day, regardless if the cause was good or bad.
I used to give him Californian Poppy tea. That helped but I haven't had any in a while. I've planted some, should get flowers in a month or 2.
He only woke up once last night but I had the worst sharp pain, didn't sleep at all.
Felt like a hot knife was stabbing me on my right side. Wish I knew what it was. It hurts too much to figure out if it's coming from my lower back or front. I won't be able to walk to the hospital but hubby will take me if it gets worse today.
He's gotto drive the CEO from America around all week and take him for dinner.

Sorry you weren't feeling well Get better soon!

Good luck with the contest!

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 01:57 AM   #9372
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
When my youngest was five years old, he hit a growth spurt. He would wake up in the middle of the night screaming "My legs, my legs Mommy, my legs." His pediatrician suggested that I give him Dimetapp just before he went to bed. Worked like a charm. That year he gained more than five inches. He now stands more than 6'. He was well over five feet by the time he was eleven.
Daniel gets growing pains but the night terrors keep him up most nights.
Sometimes he screams (spine chilling cries) and he doesn't always wake up. His eyes are still closed most of the time. I was told not too wake him so it's harder to calm him down if he's not actually awake.

He slept pretty well last night. I gave him an antihistamine for his cold and it knocked him out.

Daniel will more than likely be a tall man one day. My husband is 6.3 I'm 5.9. We are both the shortest in our families!
I've shrunken, used to be 5.10. Must have lost bone mass.
My cousins are all over 6.8.

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 03:04 AM   #9373
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I'm working on the luncheon list for the Danish Club lunch tomorrow. People are supposed to RSVP by 10h on Monday. I got the last changes at almost midnight and there still might be changes tomorrow morning.

I have to print it out so I know how much money to collect from each person - some have guests. It's also where I mark that I got paid. Then there's the name tags to print.
Old 03-13-2013, 03:58 AM   #9374
Executive Chef

Waiting for Dai the Rod our local chimney sweep, we had a chimney fire yesterday and picked ten popes before the Fire Brigade arrived (white smoke then black smoke and back to white).
Old 03-13-2013, 04:04 AM   #9375
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Not doing much. Waiting for some pork chops to thaw...
Life in the fast lane.
Old 03-13-2013, 04:13 AM   #9376
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonbaker View Post
Got word today. Biopsy scheduled for thursday morning. Next wed, the 20th is the appt. to go over all of the test results. The waiting is the worst! I just want to wish it away.
You are going to be fine. I know it is hard to do, but just stick to your everyday schedule. We are all here for support. And we do care. You are very important to this forum. Let us know how it goes.
Old 03-13-2013, 04:24 AM   #9377
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolas De Fraile View Post
Waiting for Dai the Rod our local chimney sweep, we had a chimney fire yesterday and picked ten popes before the Fire Brigade arrived (white smoke then black smoke and back to white).
Chimney fire, eek

Good to see you posting again.
Old 03-13-2013, 04:45 AM   #9378
Chef Extraordinaire

I supposed this should go under "What made you smile lately." But I am sitting here after checking my other email account. I received a Birthday wish from one of my grandchildren. She lives in Maine and is one of the children that were adopted after my daughter's death.

She was just an infant when she was adopted. And when she would hear her sister and brother talk about 'their mother', she would get confused. She had never been told she was adopted. She knew who I was and what relation to her I was. Her grandmother. But how? So one day she was snooping around and came across my phone number. She called me out of the blue and I told her if she ever had any questions, I would always tell her the whole truth. No matter how painful it may be for me or her. A year later when she was old enough to travel on her own, she came down from Maine and spent the weekend. We talked and talked. And I kept my word to her. I answered all of her questions with total honesty. She went back home with some anger in her because her mother had kept everything from her. After a few phone calls, she calmed down and understood where her adopted mother was coming from.

As a result, every Mother's Day, my birthday, Christmas and any other important day, she always sends me a card in the mail or an email. She is the only grandchild to do this. I love her so dealy. I wish I could post a picture of her. She is knockout beautiful. Enormous blue eyes, and natural blonde hair. In the sunlight with the wisps of hair blowing, it looks like a halo around her head.

I am a firm believer that every child has the right to know who their natural parents are and their personal history.
Old 03-13-2013, 08:43 AM   #9379
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Is that anything like watching grass grow? Or paint dry?
It's much worse, Addie.
Especially when you are hungry!
Old 03-13-2013, 08:50 AM   #9380
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
It's much worse, Addie.
Especially when you are hungry!
Pac,

Have you tried thawing meat on a stainless steel or aluminum pan?

Just unwrap the meat, set it on a non-stick pan. The metal pan acts as a heat exchanger absorbing heat from the air to thaw the meat.

They used to sell an amazing thawing tray on late night TV for only $19.95 but, it was just an aluminum tray with an attitude!