What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, I was going to strip the rotisserie chicken, but it was lunch time, and there was that whole other leg.... I stripped the skin off and heated it in the microwave.

This afternoon, I've been trying to catch up with the New Posts here, but it seems people are posting like crazy. I'll finally get them all read and new posts of my own made, go and check my emails and what's on TV, check back with DC and find another batch of posts. I'm not complaining. I like it when it's busy like this.

Come back at 3 a.m. It starts to slow down then. This place is one busy coffee klatch.:yum:

That's usually when I start, Addie.:LOL: Normally, I check back every couple three hours.

It's funny to notice that sometimes the busiest days are weekdays. Weekends can be pretty quiet sometimes. I've tried to figure out the pattern, but the pattern is that there isn't a pattern.:ROFLMAO:

On nights that I can't sleep, I am on the computer playing stupid games and checking back here. I have the TV on and am listening kind of. It is usually repeats, so I don't pay too much attention. :sleep:

I've been researching a Vietnamese recipe I began making various versions of a few years ago: shrimp rice paper rolls, a type of fresh spring roll that is made with a unique rice wrap which resembles a tortilla or crepe, except that you prepare it by a quick soak (about 30 seconds) in warm water. (Longer and they just fall to pieces.) You spread the quickly soaked rice paper wrap on a clean towel and assemble the ingredients, then fold over the left and right sides and roll it up. Shrimp is often used although tofu or even cooked meats are viable alternatives. It is usually served (in Vietnam or in my case in local Vietnamese restaurants) with nuoc cham dipping sauce, made from fish sauce, lime juice, sugar, sliced hot chili peppers, garlic, etc. One thing that makes them really delicious is the
contents of carrots, cucumbers, bean sprouts, mint leaves, Thai (or regular) basil, cilantro (AKA coriander tops in Asia), and some rice vermacelli or cellophane noodles complete the stuffing lineup. This recipe is served at room temperature. I've seen it served with spicy (hot) peanut sauce too, and I wouldn't dream of serving it without both spicy peanut sauce and nuoc cham sauce. The mint, basil and cilantro make the dish very fragrant, and is even good when served without any shrimp, tofu or other main protein.

The unique appearance of this dish is that the rice paper wraps are transparent or nearly so. It is the usual practice to assemble all but the shrimp and give the roll a partial turn, then add the shrimp (often halved) and continue rolling, so that the shrimps appear prominently as you view the finished dish through the translucent wrap. It's a really great appetizer to precede Asian foods. I suppose you should serve Vietnamese food but this is the only Vietnamese food I've ever cooked. At least I'll have the right continent.

Last edited:
I've had those shrimp rice paper rolls. It was in a vegetarian restaurant in SoCal. The "shrimp" were so convincing that I had to unroll the second one and check them out. It was really good.

They didn't have real shrimp? I don't understand that. I don't understand how it could be shrimp and be something else vegetarian. Although tofu is a viable and popular alternative, and of course tofu is a vegetable product.

I don't understand vegetarian or vegan at all. I wouldn't have any problem shooting a cow in the head and then hacking off a steak and cooking it, except maybe the blood, and maybe that they age beef to get better flavor. Probably not the best taste unlike corn which is best the sooner you pick and cook it, preferably within mere minutes.

But this Vietnamese rice roll recipe is good even without shrimp or anything non-vegetarian. Particularly with peanut sauce. With vegetarian peanuts...

Vegetarian friends took me there.

I didn't understand the part about shrimp but not shrimp looking like shrimp, not the part about why vegetarians would want to be vegetarians or take friends to vegetarian restaurants.

I used to have a few vegetarian restaurants I liked, not often because I want meat or fish, but oddly all the vegetarian places I used to frequent are now out of business.

I think vegetarian has a lot to offer but I think meat/fish eaters should have menu choices too, because evidently the scarcity of public who would frequent a restaurant with no meat or fish is too slim to base a business upon, successfully. Alas...

I didn't understand the part about shrimp but not shrimp looking like shrimp, not the part about why vegetarians would want to be vegetarians or take friends to vegetarian restaurants.

I used to have a few vegetarian restaurants I liked, not often because I want meat or fish, but oddly all the vegetarian places I used to frequent are now out of business.

I think vegetarian has a lot to offer but I think meat/fish eaters should have menu choices too, because evidently the scarcity of public who would frequent a restaurant with no meat or fish is too slim to base a business upon, successfully. Alas...

The "shrimp" looked like shrimp, and tasted like shrimp, but they were something not made of flesh.

I'm a meat eater. I don't go to vegetarian places, even with friends, any more. I'm not supposed to eat soy, so it makes it rather difficult.

After breakfast, I want to finish my car-washing job begun yesterday afternoon (ran out of gas - me, not the car). Still need to do the glass inside and out, then vacuum the trunk. I've been hauling home mulch in bags, which always seem to have a hole somewhere.

Back
Top Bottom