"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 03-15-2013, 01:02 AM   #9401
Chef Extraordinaire

I have been out in the garden most of the day as it is such a lovely day!

Been trimming back some trees and having a general tidy up

Old 03-15-2013, 09:53 AM   #9402
Executive Chef

This will be the first day of visible progress in my home building adventure. I am meeting at the house site with my builder, house designer/architect, sewer person, and landscape designer. The house footprint will be staked out, elevations shot and discussions started about how to proceed with my home water catchment system.

Old 03-15-2013, 11:33 AM   #9403
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethzaring View Post
This will be the first day of visible progress in my home building adventure. I am meeting at the house site with my builder, house designer/architect, sewer person, and landscape designer. The house footprint will be staked out, elevations shot and discussions started about how to proceed with my home water catchment system.
Whatever happened to pacing it off and driving a stake in the ground?

I am watching the snow come down sideways. By all accounts today was going to be cold, but decent. I was going to go shooting again, but I think I'll take a nap instead
Old 03-15-2013, 12:03 PM   #9404
Everymom

Well it stopped snowing here, but holy moly is it ever cold out there now! At least when its snowing its warmish.

I have to work this afternoon, so I will soon be prepping dinner for the family. Right now though, I'm going to make a cup of coffee and catch up on things around here.
Old 03-15-2013, 12:14 PM   #9405
Certified Pretend Chef

SO's car is in the shop and she took mine for work. I was planning on going out for an Italian sub for lunch, but that's out the door for now.
Old 03-15-2013, 01:37 PM   #9406
Certified Cake Maniac

Quote:
I am excited for your Beth! The closest I got to this was being part of the founding Board of a housing co-op in the mid 80's. We were out there all the time discussing, watching, trouble-shooting. Even though you aren't building it literally yourself, you feel a part of every step!

I am off to sit with my friends teen son as he does an exam at home. He is a great kid but suffers from tourettes and has a difficult time at school. I love it when I can do things to encourage him and I know his Mom really appreciates the time we spend together as well. I have known him since he was a day old and he and his brother are like my own kids!

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 01:40 PM   #9407
Executive Chef

Quote:

'visible progress' sounds good to me! i'm impressed that all of the building team plans to meet together at the same time and place today to start work on your house building project. are they working on both houses?
everything is so high tech today. you will probably get a whole new education working with your contractors in the coming weeks. what style and size house are you building? do you have an estimated completion date for it yet? i have no idea how long these things take with today's prefab capabilities. thanks beth, for sharing your exciting news. please keep us posted with new developments when you can....
Old 03-15-2013, 03:56 PM   #9408
Master Chef

Just got done helping DH put in a new kitchen faucet. Why oh why can't it ever be easy
Old 03-15-2013, 04:11 PM   #9409
Chef Extraordinaire

Just got home a while ago from my first experience volunteering in an elementary school with the Master Gardeners. The topic was Plant Parts Party and the extension agent taught fifth graders about plant parts by giving everyone a bag of mixed lettuces, spinach, a carrot and celery stick and a piece of broccoli. They also got blue and yellow corn tortilla chips, mixed root chips, ranch dressing, salsa and a couple strawberries. As she went through the plant parts, she had them identify and talk about which were the roots, stems, flowers and leaves. It was a lot of fun

Now it's 55F outside and my porch faces west, so I'm going to put my feet up and sit on the porch with a glass of wine. Happy Friday!
Old 03-15-2013, 04:24 PM   #9410
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Just returned from a 2 1/2 hour ride on the motorcycle. The first of the season and the first with my new knee. We had a blast and rode, first, to "our" Dairy Queen, which is only about 15 minutes from home. Sat outside at a big old wooden picnic table and ate our ice cream. Then, for fun and because it was just too nice a day to do anything else, we took the LONG way home, accounting for the remaining 2 hours. It was invigorating and I can't wait to get out again.