"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 03-16-2013, 09:54 PM   #9451
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta View Post
don't you guys have poly/cotton where you live? other than dress shirts, i have needed to do very little ironing for some twenty or thirty years. always hated ironing....:)
I have an old wooden ironing board and an iron that has a large water tank. I love to iron. Set up the board and stand in front of the TV. I am a happy person.

Old 03-17-2013, 01:32 AM   #9452
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta View Post
don't you guys have poly/cotton where you live? other than dress shirts, i have needed to do very little ironing for some twenty or thirty years. always hated ironing....:)
We do, but I cant stand anything but cotton...I love wearing cotton clothing, sleeping on cotton sheets etc

Poly and cotton blended ends up getting lots of lint/pilling (bitties I call them) and I cant stand the feel of it...so cotton it is

Old 03-17-2013, 06:32 AM   #9453
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylie1969 View Post
We do, but I cant stand anything but cotton...I love wearing cotton clothing, sleeping on cotton sheets etc

Poly and cotton blended ends up getting lots of lint/pilling (bitties I call them) and I cant stand the feel of it...so cotton it is
Kylie, because of a skin condition, I too have everything cotton. Even my sheets and tablecloths. The first thing I look at is always the label. I love the look of a nice crisp ironed crease down the front of a pair of slacks. My first husband was a pro chef. He had the option of having a professional laundry company do his uniforms. But he complained that they didn't iron them to his liking. And I didn't mind doing them at all. I like to iron.

When the kids were small, my sister hated to iron. She had a big box, like the kind a washing machine would come in. She would always toss her ironing in it. When the ironing got to the top, after the kids went off to school, I would head for her house with my iron in hand. She got a second ironing board for me. We would set them up in front of the TV and watch our soap operas all day until the kids came home from school. And we ironed, and ironed and ironed. But we got it all done. For some strange reason I always got stuck doing the difficult pieces. We even ironed her husband's boxer shorts.

I have an old wooden ironing board. The label is still on it. It was from the early forties. I found it many moons ago in a thrift shop brehind some dusty old bed springs. It cost me the grand sum of $.69. A couple of my kids have already started to fight over who gets it. When I got it, it had about 20 covers on it. I now am using the last one. Everytime a hole shows up or a wear spot, I get some old material I have, and with the Stitch Witchery, I cover it and just continue ironing. I have even covered some of the patches. I have had that board and cover for almost 40 years and I hate to give that cover up. So I will continue to patch it and patch it.
Old 03-17-2013, 08:47 AM   #9454
Master Chef

Happy Saint Patrick's Day!! Éirinn go brách (I'm Irish today LOL)

I would like to make some jalapeno bagels but not sure I will get to it.
Old 03-17-2013, 09:12 AM   #9455
Chef Extraordinaire

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

I hate ironing lol When DH was first in the Navy, he expected me to iron his uniforms. Uh, no way, Jack. I didn't join the Navy, you did. He even ironed my uniforms when I was in culinary school last year.
Old 03-17-2013, 09:58 AM   #9456
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post

I have an old wooden ironing board. The label is still on it. It was from the early forties. I found it many moons ago in a thrift shop brehind some dusty old bed springs. It cost me the grand sum of $.69. A couple of my kids have already started to fight over who gets it. When I got it, it had about 20 covers on it. I now am using the last one. Everytime a hole shows up or a wear spot, I get some old material I have, and with the Stitch Witchery, I cover it and just continue ironing. I have even covered some of the patches. I have had that board and cover for almost 40 years and I hate to give that cover up. So I will continue to patch it and patch it.
Ooh, I don't mind patches on lots of stuff, but not on an ironing board cover. Don't the edges of the patch make little lines in the stuff you iron on top of them?

I loved ironing as a kid. I still enjoy it if I have some company.

My mum hated ironing. When I would do a load of laundry that needed ironing and do the ironing, she would pay me $1. That was four times as much as my weekly allowance!
Old 03-17-2013, 10:11 AM   #9457
Chef Extraordinaire

I went ot Amazon to look at bathroom scales. There are 121 pages to look through. Are they crazy? Do they really think someone is willing to sit there and go through all those pages?

All I want is a simple scale. My present one is a digital. Step on it and if you already know your weight, it is pretty accurate. But if you don't like what you wiegh, move it an inch or two and you can lose up to 10 lbs.

They have scales that not only tell you what you weigh but whether you are hydrated, your BMI, what you should weigh, what your calorie intake should be, and a host of other stuff that I have no interest in. All I want to know is what do I weigh today. And I want it to be consistent each and every time I step on it. I looked at the first ten pages. There is only one company that consistently got five stars on all their products. And they are in my price range. I received $100 from my daughter for my birthday. So now I have to decide which scale to get. It will probably be the least expensive one with the least features. And it will have a large readout that I can see when I am standing up with a back light.
Old 03-17-2013, 10:16 AM   #9458
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Waiting for my surprise visitors to call and tell me they are ready for breakfast. My Mom and Brother showed up last night. Baby Brother drives truck and happened to get a load slated for Missoula. Mom hitched a ride.
Old 03-17-2013, 10:27 AM   #9459
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Ooh, I don't mind patches on lots of stuff, but not on an ironing board cover. Don't the edges of the patch make little lines in the stuff you iron on top of them?

I loved ironing as a kid. I still enjoy it if I have some company.

My mum hated ironing. When I would do a load of laundry that needed ironing and do the ironing, she would pay me $1. That was four times as much as my weekly allowance!
No. I use Stitch Witchery and make sure I get all the edges. It is just plain cotton material. Some patches have ballerinas on them. Other have palm trees and flamingo birds. Material I had left over from projects. I have had this ironing board cover for so many years, it will soon be an antique. I hate to get rid of it. It is like an old friend. Lesson from my mother. Nothing goes to waste. I swear, she will haunt me to my grave.
Old 03-17-2013, 10:45 AM   #9460
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I'm looking over the mountain of laundry we brought home from vacation. Yuck.