"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 03-19-2013, 08:03 PM   #9511
Certified Cake Maniac

Thanks, Pac. An outing and a 30 minute walk might not be much for most people but for me it is a real accomplishment!

I also just came back from a quick trip to the organic store to pick up some breakfast items for TB and me - Gluten free waffles, a GF pancake mix, goat yogurt, a chia/hemp mix to add to my yogurt with some flax seed (it has currants and cranberries in it too!), and a not-so-breakfasty treat - coconut gluten free "ice cream" sandwiches. They are expensive and tiny, but oh so tasty!

So I think putting my feet up tonight and catching up on some TV has been earned. We had a huge feed of chicken wings for lunch so I will probably just have a small salad for dinner later.

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:13 PM   #9512
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Good for you, LP!

Old 03-19-2013, 10:30 PM   #9513
Executive Chef

Sounds really fun L. P. Good for you and Violet too.

I'm baking some cookies for the guys. May need to chew some gum so I don't want to try one when they come from the oven.
Old 03-19-2013, 10:36 PM   #9514
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper View Post
Sounds really fun L. P. Good for you and Violet too.

I'm baking some cookies for the guys. May need to chew some gum so I don't want to try one when they come from the oven.
Gum should do the trick. Cookie crumbs in gum is yucky.
Old 03-19-2013, 10:49 PM   #9515
Chef Extraordinaire

I need to start getting ready for my last appointment with my eye surgeon tomorrow. But first I have to go out to the kitchen and put away all the clean dishes. I have absolutely no energy tonight. Spike was here and we watch Treasure Detectives together. It turned out that the Andy Warhol painting was not real but the Strad violin was and was worth 12M. It is on CNBC on Tuesday night. A little drawn out but I stay with it to find out if the treasure is real or not.

I am nervous thinking about what my daughter will hear from her oncologist tomorrow. She gets the results from her last MRI. I also need to ask her if she talked to her daughter about the big meeting at Hooters.
Old 03-20-2013, 12:28 PM   #9516
Master Chef

Went to the store this morning and bought a jar of Krafts Miracle Whip. I have tried the store brands and to me they just don't taste as good. I buy a lot of store brand food but on this item I will stick to Krafts.
Old 03-20-2013, 12:42 PM   #9517
Chef Extraordinaire

Some things there is nothing like the original.
Old 03-20-2013, 03:35 PM   #9518
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoAnn L. View Post
Went to the store this morning and bought a jar of Krafts Miracle Whip. I have tried the store brands and to me they just don't taste as good. I buy a lot of store brand food but on this item I will stick to Krafts.
I buy house brand veggies in the can for my cold veggie salad. But not peas. For them I only buy the LeSeur Petite Peas. I also only will buy brand names for cheeses. I would have to say 90% of my grocery order every month is house brand. That is probably why my cart is full to the top yet I still have a good amount of food stamps left for emergencies and items I forgot. Like my son says, "I not too proud."
Old 03-20-2013, 05:59 PM   #9519
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoAnn L. View Post
I hear ya. DH brought home a store brand of mayo, I haven't even opened it. Gotta have my low fat Hellman's.

I usually wouldn't go with store brand cheese, but surprisingly, Our Family low fat shredded cheddar is quite decent, melts well, and has a nice flavor. It's frequently on sale too. Oh, and store brand Velveeta is nasty....

I'm doing the pre-cleaning lady pickup. Always something I look forward to, not.
Old 03-20-2013, 06:13 PM   #9520
Certified Pretend Chef

I have made an effort to switch to store brands to save a buck here and there. Where we shop, the store brand products are almost always noticeably poorer quality. Their cheeses and frozen veggies are really awful and they are squeezing out the national brands and replacing them with store brands.