"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 03-20-2013, 06:27 PM   #9521
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Yeah, have noticed that here too. The only frozen baby peas we can get here is Our Family, which aren't bad, thankfully.

Old 03-20-2013, 06:41 PM   #9522
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I find the store brand cheddar is good. Of course I check the label that it's made of food and doesn't have any weird stuff in it.

Old 03-20-2013, 06:55 PM   #9523
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I have made an effort to switch to store brands to save a buck here and there. Where we shop, the store brand products are almost always noticeably poorer quality. Their cheeses and frozen veggies are really awful and they are squeezing out the national brands and replacing them with store brands.
Sounds like you have a DeMoula's nearby. We have the same problem in these here parts also.
Old 03-20-2013, 07:32 PM   #9524
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoAnn L. View Post
Went to the store this morning and bought a jar of Krafts Miracle Whip. I have tried the store brands and to me they just don't taste as good. I buy a lot of store brand food but on this item I will stick to Krafts.
I have to agree with this. DH loves Miracle Whip and I don't but I love Hellman's.

I've purchased store brands of both and been terribly sad that I did.

I figure it's better to spend a bit more on the real deal than to spend less on lessor quality and not enjoy your food or throw it away.

I do buy some things in store brand but very few .. for the same reasons .. poorer quality is not worth sacrificing my meals.

When I do find a good store brand I am all over it for life though !

We only have 2 stores in our town so when one or the other has a good sale on things like Miracle Whip or Hellmans I stock up. Same with coffee .. get it on sale that way I can still enjoy the products.
Old 03-20-2013, 07:44 PM   #9525
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsLMB View Post
I have to agree with this. DH loves Miracle Whip and I don't but I love Hellman's.

I've purchased store brands of both and been terribly sad that I did.

I figure it's better to spend a bit more on the real deal than to spend less on lessor quality and not enjoy your food or throw it away.

I do buy some things in store brand but very few .. for the same reasons .. poorer quality is not worth sacrificing my meals.

When I do find a good store brand I am all over it for life though !

We only have 2 stores in our town so when one or the other has a good sale on things like Miracle Whip or Hellmans I stock up. Same with coffee .. get it on sale that way I can still enjoy the products.

I agree and when people chastise me for not being thrifty or frugal I like to quote Ben Franklin who said The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten
Old 03-20-2013, 07:50 PM   #9526
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
I agree and when people chastise me for not being thrifty or frugal I like to quote Ben Franklin who said The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten
What a great quote. We know Ben Franklin was thrifty.
Old 03-20-2013, 09:26 PM   #9527
Chef Extraordinaire

Relaxing after a long day. Ready for bed soon.
Old 03-20-2013, 09:50 PM   #9528
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Trying to let the steam dissipate! I received the hospital's bill for my knee replacement in November. They have to have lost their mind. Some of the charges don't even apply, especially charging me for medications that were NOT dispensed to me.

The bill is 6 pages long and will require my complete scrutiny. I'm loaded for bear and will shoot if necessary.
Old 03-20-2013, 10:40 PM   #9529
Chef Extraordinaire

When I had my last baby, they charged me for the delivery room. I have had five kids and have never been in a delivery room. That came off the bill real quick. But the most rediculous charge was $1.00 for one cracker. That came off the bill also. Along with some other ghost charges. What started out as a four figure bill, ended up less than $50.00. I have often wondered what they charged the Mexican women who would come into the hospital at the very last moment, have the baby, then an hour after the birth, get up and go home. A common practice in that town at the time.
Old 03-21-2013, 03:54 AM   #9530
Chef Extraordinaire

Today I did the grocery shopping early this morning, got back before the rains started...it has been pretty cold today...love it!

Did some ironing and relaxed on the recliner most of the afternoon

Steve finished up at work today and is on holidays now..we are heading away for a few days on Monday YAY!!

I went and bought a wi-fi Access Point Modem yesterday, so now we can take our tablets away with us too..so I can still sign in here at night after we have been out and about all day on our getaway

Got to still be able to come here

« Petty Vents | - »