What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I just finished putting the rub on the Baltimore Pit Beef I'm going to make tonight for supper. Prior to that I ate a couple slices of last night's frittata and a couple slices of toast.

Oh, that said, yesterday a battery powered chainsaw that I ordered came in and I never saw something (lately) that had so little packaging. It was simply the chainsaw, a piece of folded cardboard to protect the battery and charger and it had no outer box.

It came like that in the mail? Wow.

I went to Winthrop this morning. It was going to be a quick in and out. Or so I thought. Took quite a while to find my vein. Then I went to PT to strength my legs. I also stopped by the nurses station to ask for a refill on my Vicodin. Unbeknownst to me, that is where I made my mistake. There used to be a pharmacy right in the building there. They closed it and are turning it into a gym. So I had to wait for it to be delivered from the other pharmacy at the other end of Eastie. In the meantime, it seems like I hadn't finished my six month review. So I went from person to person to answer all their stupid questions. The one that gets me the most though is the Quality of Life, and My Expectations for the Next Six Months. That questions is easy. Stay alive! I should have been home by noon, instead of 2:30 pm. I was tired and just wanted to get out of there. But I did sign up for weekly visits for PT. :angel:

I went to Winthrop this morning. It was going to be a quick in and out. Or so I thought. Took quite a while to find my vein. Then I went to PT to strength my legs. I also stopped by the nurses station to ask for a refill on my Vicodin.

Curious here----and if you prefer not to answer just ignore-----where you live do people have to sign a 'pain contract' to continue to get Vicodin?

Veins----- I'm a phlebotomists dream-----My veins just stand right up there even after having had IV for a year and a half. Makes life easy for them.

Oh, that said, yesterday a battery powered chainsaw that I ordered came in and I never saw something (lately) that had so little packaging. It was simply the chainsaw, a piece of folded cardboard to protect the battery and charger and it had no outer box.
Nothing covering the chain? And the teeth it's mounted on? Oh, I see an accident waiting to happen if I got that package. I'm a magnet for cuts. :LOL:

I'm sitting and goofing off. I do a little of that each day, but today seems like a do-nothing day. I'm feeling my age and then some, also feeling very grateful right now that I have enough leftovers so that I don't have to cook tonight, so "rummage" it will be. It will be leftovers tomorrow too if we don't hit our favorite Irish pub with the BIL. I've had a taste for their clam chowder and they offer it only on Fridays.

FWIW, I'm not a total slug. I do have a load of wash flipping around right now; I'll have to put things on hangers to dry when the washer is done.

Nothing covering the chain? And the teeth it's mounted on? Oh, I see an accident waiting to happen if I got that package. I'm a magnet for cuts. :LOL: ...

No, no, no... the chainsaw was in a box, the manufacturer's packaging, but it was not placed in an outer box of heavy brown corrugated cardboard like is typically done. And the manufacturer's box didn't have any foam or anything in it to keep the chainsaw from moving around.
I can see where I should have elaborated in my post.

Curious here----and if you prefer not to answer just ignore-----where you live do people have to sign a 'pain contract' to continue to get Vicodin?

Veins----- I'm a phlebotomists dream-----My veins just stand right up there even after having had IV for a year and a half. Makes life easy for them.

No. In fact I was told today, that as soon as my pain in my hips got worse to let them know if the Vicodin was not helping and they would give me something stronger.

I get a month's supply each time. I am supposed to take two, three times a day. But for eight years I have been taking just one and if I need another one an hour later, I will take it. Some days I wasn't taking any.

But a few months ago, the pain started to increase from my hips down to the femur bone in my thigh. And when the pain spreads to my spine, it is more intense than it used to be. In spite of being on Vicodin for the past eight years, I am not addicted to them at this time. But at my age, addiction is not considered a problem. They want my old age to be comfortable and pain free. My mind is still sharp. So they trust me to know when I ever feel that I am becoming addicted. And they know that I would never consider selling them. They know I have a son who is a recovering drug addicted. So I have seen what it can do to a family member and the family as a whole.

BTW, PF has yelled at me many times for trying to work my way through the pain, rather than taking my medication for it. So I now take my pills when the pain get too bad. When I feel it coming on, I take my pills immediately. I don't want her yelling at me anymore. She is scary! :angel:

BTW, PF has yelled at me many times for trying to work my way through the pain, rather than taking my medication for it. So I now take my pills when the pain get too bad. When I feel it coming on, I take my pills immediately. I don't want her yelling at me anymore. She is scary! :angel:

You got that right!! No pain on my shift!:)

Doing the head nod thing in the recliner and it's just barely 9PM. Time to close the laptop, turn off the light, turn on a movie, fall asleep before it's half over, wake up in the recliner at 2AM, and then go to bed. LOL

Night, all. :)

Just finished roasting a pan of summer squash.

I really have to work at liking that stuff! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Me, too! I find I like it better if it's mixed with other stuff. I slice summer squash and zucchini and saute them with garlic and roasted red peppers in olive oil, then hit it with a splash of white wine vinegar when it's done. When we're grilling outside, I'll do this on the side burner on the grill. Quick, pretty side dish :)

I'm just catching up on email and DC, finishing my coffee, thinking about getting ready to go out. The place where I take my writing class has a First Friday coffee club at 10:30 today.

Well I just re-read your post and you did say "to continue." What I was taking was was Percocet and did not have to sign anything to get a second script. When that was gone I called him for more and since Percocet could not be called in to the pharmacy, he prescribed Vicodin. But I only filled that one once. It sounds like Addie has a running prescription and also does not have to sign anything.

Addie, I'm not PF and I'm not scary. :) But when a person has pain, as you do, the experts say the best way to manage pain is to keep a constant titer of the med in the body.

1. Should I take pain medication only when I have a lot of pain?

No. Don't wait until pain becomes severe to take pain medication. Pain is easier to control when it is mild. You should take your pain medication regularly, just as prescribed. Sometimes this means taking medicine on a regular schedule, even when you don't feel pain."

Pain Management FAQ: Medication, Pain Scale, Dealing with Acute Pain, and More

2. "My prescription says to take my pain medication every 4 hours but I don't feel any pain. Should I take the medicine as prescribed or what until I have pain?"

Answer: It is always easier to prevent pain rather than treat it.

Pain Medication- How Often Should I Take Pain Medication

Waiting until the pain gets 'too bad' before taking pain meds is like being in a race but constantly having to start at the starting line over and over-------- and over. You won't win.

Well I just re-read your post and you did say "to continue." What I was taking was was Percocet and did not have to sign anything to get a second script. When that was gone I called him for more and since Percocet could not be called in to the pharmacy, he prescribed Vicodin. But I only filled that one once. It sounds like Addie has a running prescription and also does not have to sign anything.

It's interesting that different doctors (maybe different States) have varying requirements about receiving pain meds.

I take Vicodin for pain. I had to sign a very restrictive Pain Contract with my doctor. (He has one of the most Buttoned Up Butt Holes ever found in a doctor!)

I think it's more for protection for the doctors than for keeping me 'safe'.

The War on Drugs (Snort! What a joke!) should NOT be fought at the level of an individual who is in pain. I could probably get Vicodin a lot easier on the street!!!!!!

The Pain Contract IS a big PITA for me because I have to go to my doctor's office (just to the desk, not an appointment) during the last 4 days of each month, take the rx (for one month's worth) to my pharmacy then back again to my pharmacy on the 1st of each month to pick up the med!!

Now, for a person with health problems that can be difficult, as some of you realize. I can designate someone else to do that, but as long as I can avoid asking someone else to 'take care of me' I'll not do that unless I have the flu or something!

The site below has replies from different people about a pain contract (Read the comments):

A contract for pain management? What does that even mean . . . ?

I'm relaxing after my payday marathon shopping trips.

I got all the groceries put away, separated the hamburger, chicken leg quarters, turkey necks and drumsticks into freezer packages.

All the bills are paid, prescriptions filled and shopping completed for the most of the month.

I'm trying to keep myself from attacking the prep work on the broccoli, yellow squash, and green onions. I'm excited about the dishes I'm going to make.

First, as soon as I can make room in the fridge is oyster stew. I'm also going to make Sandra Lee's scallop and mushroom chowder.

Also on the menu (somewhere) is a mac & cheese casserole with turkey ham and broccoli, as well as broccoli soup.

So...I'm sitting here and reviewing my purchases to come with menu ideas for the near future and sipping on a beer. A good day done.

Aunt Bea, I love yellow squash. I make it with a sliced (half moon) onion, garlic and butter. It freezes well and reheats just fine. I season it with just seasoned salt.

How do you fix yours?

My prescription is good for one month. Then I have to phone in for a refill. I also have to sign for all my meds when they are delivered. The NP then phones in a new script. It is not a running script. :angel:

Addie, I'm not PF and I'm not scary. :) But when a person has pain, as you do, the experts say the best way to manage pain is to keep a constant titer of the med in the body.

Yup, that's the discussion Addie and I have had.

Yup, that's the discussion Addie and I have had.

Sure is. And I have gotten the message loud and clear. The first thing I do now in the morning, is take one pill, then follow up an hour later with the second one. Sometimes if I have been active, I will take two at a time. More so of late with the pain now going down into my femur. I know that this is going to be the norm as to the pain from now on. Lesson learned, loud and clear. :angel:

Back
Top Bottom