"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 03-22-2013, 09:33 AM   #9571
Executive Chef

Kicking myself for having paid Cooks.com $72.95 + $10.17 shipping for my purchase, six years ago, of a Lodge Logic 7 quart cast iron Dutch oven.

Old 03-22-2013, 09:54 AM   #9572
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by justplainbill View Post
Kicking myself for having paid Cooks.com $72.95 + $10.17 shipping for my purchase, six years ago, of a Lodge Logic 7 quart cast iron Dutch oven.
Why is that?

Old 03-22-2013, 10:47 AM   #9573
Head Chef

Changing my shoes to go work in the yard. I sort of painted myself into a kitchen corner yesterday with a couple of good buys in the meat department, so this morning I had to put together a couple of casseroles to properly use up those deals. Will freeze them for later on. Still have 10 chicken thighs to do something with, but will be thinking while I'm weeding and do them later.
Old 03-22-2013, 01:39 PM   #9574
Master Chef

I bought a new bread (sample size) this morning called Focaccia Asiago. Asiago is a cheese and it was sprinkled on top, I liked the bread but the cheese was a bit bitter tasting. One of my favorite breads is the Country Loaf from Panera. Do you have a favorite boughten bread?
Old 03-22-2013, 01:43 PM   #9575
Head Chef

I just got chased back into the house by a marauding band of ferocious ants that attacked my feet and legs and somehow made it all the way to my shoulder blade (well, one, did). I do try to watch while I'm working that the ants don't sneak up on me - their bites itch like crazy and leave blisters that scar. But I know when I'm beaten - I'm afraid the better 'man' prevailed. Again. Got out the itch cream, changed my clothes. Chicken thighs, here I come, to save the day! (Makes me think of Andy Kaufman, lip-synching to Mighty Mouse.)
Old 03-22-2013, 01:47 PM   #9576
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoAnn L. View Post
I bought a new bread (sample size) this morning called Focaccia Asiago. Asiago is a cheese and it was sprinkled on top, I liked the bread but the cheese was a bit bitter tasting. One of my favorite breads is the Country Loaf from Panera. Do you have a favorite boughten bread?
I love them all -- especially sourdough and rye, but I'm trying hard to limit myself to one slice and think whole wheat is probably a better choice. I try to find "artisan" bread that doesn't have the preservatives, etc. of regular off-the-shelf brands.
Old 03-22-2013, 02:18 PM   #9577
Executive Chef

i'm looking online to buy a small laptop pc. yes, again! it's my fourth pc in two years. the one i'm using right now i bought just last thanksgiving. as always, i have read through many customer reviews of all of the computers i am considering to buy. and so, now i come to my dc friends again for any advice you might have.:)

i realize that the main problem i have with my pc's breaking down has to do with my habit of choosing the low cost brands every time. i either can't afford, or am unwilling to spend the money for one of the reliable name brands.

right now i am on the verge of going with either ASUS or the HP brand. which would you choose and why? is there another brand i should consider? thank you for any input you have for me....
Old 03-22-2013, 02:29 PM   #9578
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta View Post
i'm looking online to buy a small laptop pc. yes, again! it's my fourth pc in two years. the one i'm using right now i bought just last thanksgiving. as always, i have read through many customer reviews of all of the computers i am considering to buy. and so, now i come to my dc friends again for any advice you might have.:)

i realize that the main problem i have with my pc's breaking down has to do with my habit of choosing the low cost brands every time. i either can't afford, or am unwilling to spend the money for one of the reliable name brands.

right now i am on the verge of going with either ASUS or the HP brand. which would you choose and why? is there another brand i should consider? thank you for any input you have for me....
I can't really tell you anything about ASUS or HP computers.

I have an "MSI" that's almost two years old and works pretty good. I almost always buy from a local store called MicroBytes. They have great tech guys and even their sales people are geeks. They will put a computer together for me according to my specs and the prices are decent.

If you could find a store like that in your area, that's what I would recommend.
Old 03-22-2013, 02:32 PM   #9579
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzie View Post
I just got chased back into the house by a marauding band of ferocious ants that attacked my feet and legs and somehow made it all the way to my shoulder blade (well, one, did). I do try to watch while I'm working that the ants don't sneak up on me - their bites itch like crazy and leave blisters that scar. But I know when I'm beaten - I'm afraid the better 'man' prevailed. Again. Got out the itch cream, changed my clothes. Chicken thighs, here I come, to save the day! (Makes me think of Andy Kaufman, lip-synching to Mighty Mouse.)
Fire ants?
I remember leaning back against a fence post while in SW FLA... I quickly learned to check the base for nests after that.
Old 03-22-2013, 02:34 PM   #9580
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Why is that?
I see what appears to be the identical pot on Amazon for less than $60 and with free shipping. That's some $23 less than I paid Cooking.com (erroneously referred to by me as cooks.com).