"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 03-24-2013, 12:06 PM   #9651
Chef Extraordinaire

Easter did come early this year.

I am sitting at the computer. I have several things I need to do, but am afraid of using my hand. A nice scab is forming over the top of the wound and I don't want to knock it off. Of course it is my right hand. I need to take a shower, do dishes, change my bed, and a host of other things around here. I am going to try to do laundry today. The hand will stay dry doing that. And I can do that with either hand.

Old 03-24-2013, 12:26 PM   #9652
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Mucking out the fridge. I found 3 jars of pickled beets, each with 1 beet in them; 2 large jars of Costo artichoke hearts, one half full and the other with 1/2 artichoke heart and a couple stray leaves; 3 jars of olives with about 1.5 olives in each; 3 half-full containers of cottage cheese set to expire next week, and that's just the top shelves. I figured out DH can only see the very front 3 inches of the shelves, so he opens a new container to replace what is beyond the 3 inch mark that he is unable to see.

I also hoard leftover packets of salad dressing, hot sauce, mustard, and soy sauce from takeout, and have discovered quite a collection.

Old 03-24-2013, 01:28 PM   #9653
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Mucking out the fridge. I found 3 jars of pickled beets, each with 1 beet in them; 2 large jars of Costo artichoke hearts, one half full and the other with 1/2 artichoke heart and a couple stray leaves; 3 jars of olives with about 1.5 olives in each; 3 half-full containers of cottage cheese set to expire next week, and that's just the top shelves. I figured out DH can only see the very front 3 inches of the shelves, so he opens a new container to replace what is beyond the 3 inch mark that he is unable to see.

I also hoard leftover packets of salad dressing, hot sauce, mustard, and soy sauce from takeout, and have discovered quite a collection.
I know it is extra work, but I always used to put the new foods way in the back. Even if you have to remove some foods to get them there. All leftovers were put right up front. Heaven help us if anyone moved stuff to find what they wanted. I never save the little packets. My daughter does and she could open a Costco's with what she has collected over the years. She has a very large side by side and it is always crammed full. Yet she claims she has to go shopping every week for just her and her husband. But since she has been on the chemo, she does very little cooking. And her husband doesn't do any. So where is the food going? I personally think her son who lives downstairs comes up to help himself so he won't have to go shopping. A good way to save money.
Old 03-24-2013, 02:08 PM   #9654
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post

I know it is extra work, but I always used to put the new foods way in the back. Even if you have to remove some foods to get them there. All leftovers were put right up front. Heaven help us if anyone moved stuff to find what they wanted. I never save the little packets. My daughter does and she could open a Costco's with what she has collected over the years. She has a very large side by side and it is always crammed full. Yet she claims she has to go shopping every week for just her and her husband. But since she has been on the chemo, she does very little cooking. And her husband doesn't do any. So where is the food going? I personally think her son who lives downstairs comes up to help himself so he won't have to go shopping. A good way to save money.
DH would not see beyond the 3 inch mark if I moved new stuff to the back. He'd just figure we were out, and open a new one.
Old 03-24-2013, 02:32 PM   #9655
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
DH would not see beyond the 3 inch mark if I moved new stuff to the back. He'd just figure we were out, and open a new one.
Shrek looks for stuff like that, too. "I thought you told me we had____!!" fill in the blank. I can find the missing item within three seconds of opening the fridge door.
Old 03-24-2013, 02:39 PM   #9656
Certified Pretend Chef

There must be a law that there is one of this type of person in each household. SO can't find anything. I spend a fair amount of time looking for her stuff.
Old 03-24-2013, 02:41 PM   #9657
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post

Shrek looks for stuff like that, too. "I thought you told me we had____!!" fill in the blank. I can find the missing item within three seconds of opening the fridge door.
Me too. Male Pattern Blindness? Andy being the exception.
Old 03-24-2013, 02:43 PM   #9658
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
DH does that, too. I just tell him to look a little further in and he will find ______. When I want him to eat something, I make sure it's front and center
Old 03-24-2013, 02:49 PM   #9659
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Me too. Male Pattern Blindness? Andy being the exception.
Old 03-24-2013, 02:50 PM   #9660
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
My mother was like that. "It is in the junk drawer on the left side under the playing cards. If I have to get up......" I usually found it real quick.