What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Nooo! I got dressed and went out. One of the old sticks has a couple green buds coming out. There is a lot of green down at the bottom of the plant, so it's still alive, but I don't know if it will get any actual flowers.

Like Dawg said, it depends on the variety you have. Some hydrangeas bloom on second-year wood.

You can cut a single branch and take it to your local Cooperative Extension office. A master gardeners or extension agent can identify it for you and give you a handout on how to take care of it. Or, this might help you identify it: http://www.usna.usda.gov/Gardens/faqs/hydrangeafaq2.html

...And we DO know that everyone here ALWAYS reads ALL the previous posts before commenting, right? ;););)
I'm not "everyone", but I'm guilty as charged. In fact, if an older thread resurfaces after I've deleted it from my Subscription list I'll skim through the entire thread from the beginning to refresh my memory. I make an exception to that though if the thread is pages and pages and pages long. After the second or third page most threads go OT anyway. We kinda do that around here...:ermm: :LOL:

My neighbor has a huge patch of rhubarb. Since his wife recently left him, I knew he wasn't going to do anything with it, so I asked if I could have some in exchange for some rhubarb jam. I now have a nice sink-full of rhubarb.

My neighbor has a huge patch of rhubarb. Since his wife recently left him, I knew he wasn't going to do anything with it, so I asked if I could have some in exchange for some rhubarb jam. I now have a nice sink-full of rhubarb.

Try making a rhubarb upside down cake and don't forget the whipped cream! :yum:

:yum: And rhubarb crisp! And rhubarb bars! I may need to bake for a change!

Definitely, oats and rhubarb are made for each other.

When I was a kid we had a dish of rhubarb sauce at every meal in the spring and rhubarb pie on Sunday. we also had rhubarb sauce over tapioca pudding! My grandmother called rhubarb "pie timber"! :ermm::ohmy::LOL: I guess pie timber is really any fruit that makes up the main filling ingredient in a pie.

Last edited:
Definitely, oats and rhubarb are made for each other.

When I was a kid we had a dish of rhubarb sauce at every meal in the spring and rhubarb pie on Sunday. we also had rhubarb sauce over tapioca pudding! My grandmother called rhubarb "pie timber"! :ermm::ohmy::LOL: I guess pie timber is really any fruit that makes up the main filling ingredient in a pie.

Hmm, rhubarb and tapioca sounds great! I grew up with constant rhubarb too, it was always on Grandma's table, she had a big patch of it. I'm a purist, no strawberries in my rhubarb. Can't get enough of the stuff!

An expat friend who lives in Mexico says they can't get rhubarb down there, I told her I'll bring her some jam when we go back.

I am doing a (careful) happy dance! We saw the doctor today and my iron levels are finally starting to go up! They are still on the lower side, but getting closer to normal. I am feeling it too. It is so nice not to feel like you are carrying 10 ton bricks around with you all the time!

TB didn't fare so well though. He needs to get his thyroid checked again and it is a bit low so another adjustment in his medication. He also now has a lung infection and is the one on anti-biotics.

I am still retaining fluid so she adjusted my medication for that, but all in all was very pleased by my recovery. I am too! :D

My daughter and I went to get out haircut today. Next to the hair salon is a massage parlor. They have been given notice by the Revere Police Department that the City Council has revoked their license and they have 30 days to vacate the premises. Let's just say they give services that leave you with a happy feeling.

So I am waiting for my daughter to be finished and I go outside for a cigarette. I am standing there looking at the items in their window display. Facial gel masks, special creams, etc. I start to walk away after I finished my cigarette and the door opens. "Did you want to come in here dear?" "No, no thank you. Just looking at your window display." I should have asked her if she was taking applications. On the line where it would ask, "When were you last employed?" Or, "Do you have any experience in this line of work?" I suppose I should feel flattered that she thought I might be employable in her line of work. As I was walking away, a customer came out the with a smile on his face displaying that happy feeling.

When I went back into the salon, I told them about her asking me if I want to go in. Let me tell you, we had almost an hour of constant laughter with all of the comebacks we thought of.

So if I go MIA, you will know I took her up on her offer of employment. :angel:

I wish we lived near each other I would give you your very own rhubarb plant. We have been trying to get rid of some, we just can't eat all that our plants produce. I've given 1 away but have another to give away.
Maybe you should ask your neighbor if he would divide his plant.

I wish we lived near each other I would give you your very own rhubarb plant. We have been trying to get rid of some, we just can't eat all that our plants produce. I've given 1 away but have another to give away.
Maybe you should ask your neighbor if he would divide his plant.

Thanks Bunny! I have a big division from their rhubarb plant here, but it didn't get prime real estate, and is much slower to grow than theirs. Over the years, I've crammed so many perennials and shrubs in around our property, there is no room for anything else. And our neighbor is such a nice guy that I don't mind helping him out, better than seeing it go to waste! He was very happy to have it go to use.

PF, don't tell my friend Dellie back home how it ends. They lost their cable service tonight with the storms rolling through NE Ohio.

I am doing a (careful) happy dance! We saw the doctor today and my iron levels are finally starting to go up!...
Glad to hear you're doing better LP. Now to get TB up to speed...

Here it is after four in the morning and I am wide awake. Both my hips were really hurting bad today. So I took two Vicodin. The worked like a charm. I usually only take one. But today's pain called for two. So about five hours later I noticed the pain was starting up again. So I took two more. Now I don't know about other folks, but one pill can send me on a cleaning frenzy. :wacko: Can you imagine what two has done to me? I have been awake since 10 a.m. yesterday morning. I started to get sleepy a couple of hours ago, but of course as soon as I laid down, I was wide awake. But I have a nice clean kitchen along with the shiny floor. The only thing I didn't get to do that I wanted, was empty the fridge and give it a really good cleaning. Just spill one drop on the glass shelves and it makes the whole machine look like it went through a war. That will be tomorrow's project. Everything out, and all shelves into the sink to be cleaned, dried off and placed back in the fridge.

The last time I asked for a refill on the Vicodin, the NP asked me if I wanted something stronger. Good grief, NO!! Can you imagine what I could accomplish on a stronger drug?

Most folks get sleepy when they take a narcotic. Does anyone here have the same reaction I do. Getting full of energy? This drives me crazy. :angel:

While Vicodin/Lortab does not give me lots of energy, it does keep me awake. I tend to not take it when I am on my way to bed. Same with Dilaudid. Haven't found a narcotic yet that will let me sleep. Probably why I don't like taking them, aside from other unpleasant side effects.

Huddled up in a blanket, waking up. Eating cherry scones, Shrek made, and a cup of coffee.

Question: have never had Double Devon Cream before, do you just spread it like butter? (Oh heavens, I think I just heard my cardiologist have an apoplectic fit!)

I've been wasting time, waiting for the clouds to roll in. I have to wash the ceiling in the sunroom before it gets too warm out there. If I wash it on a sunny day all I end up with is streaks on the glass. Plus, this is a two (or three) day job, what with moving some furniture and reaching up overhead for a few hours. Have to let the old muscles rest between rows.

I'm making rhubarb jam. Will try canning it in the Nesco roaster. I used 2 year expired pectin, hopefully it will set up, otherwise, I'm canning rhubarb sauce... ImageUploadedByDiscuss Cooking1400012359.794903.jpg

Last edited:
I've been putzing around outside today. I've got the back brush hogged and the AC units clear of winter debris and turned on. It feels like August today with all this humidity. I think I'll head out back shortly and do some shooting. Conditions should be right to shoot some one-holers with the .22 I built over winter.

Back
Top Bottom