"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 03-27-2013, 10:54 PM   #9741
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
We ended up putting steel poles with a T bar, in concrete embedded with river rock. DH is serious about feeding his birds I wire up whatever feeder we hang, otherwise it gets dragged into the woods, never to be found. I also have a squirrel baffle under each feeder, which is a stepping stone for the coons. We tried the shepherd's hooks, the coons just bent them to the ground. And the possums have joined them.
This is the one we use (the green one)

If they can shimmy up the post they can't get to the food.

It also comes this way ..

We have 4 feeders ... 1 in a tree the other 3 on shepherd hooks.

They liked climbing the pole on one of them so I searched and found a simple solution.

Bought a slinky. Attached it to the top of the post and let it hang down .. they could no longer get up but had a real fun ride

I don't have any kind of anything at the bottom.

We also have raccoons and possums but they don't make it up the posts so they settle for the stuff on the ground.

Have you looked at youtube at some of the contraptions people have made ... you will LOL

Now there is a feeder that spins when a squirrel gets on it as well as one where it closes .. both work based on the weight of the animal.

Good luck .. I know it's a challenge !

Old 03-27-2013, 10:54 PM   #9742
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by jharris View Post
No worries Kylie. Rest for a few days and post when it won't be a chore.
Agreed!

Old 03-27-2013, 11:14 PM   #9743
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsLMB View Post

This is the one we use (the green one)

If they can shimmy up the post they can't get to the food.

It also comes this way ..

We have 4 feeders ... 1 in a tree the other 3 on shepherd hooks.

They liked climbing the pole on one of them so I searched and found a simple solution.

Bought a slinky. Attached it to the top of the post and let it hang down .. they could no longer get up but had a real fun ride

I don't have any kind of anything at the bottom.

We also have raccoons and possums but they don't make it up the posts so they settle for the stuff on the ground.

Have you looked at youtube at some of the contraptions people have made ... you will LOL

Now there is a feeder that spins when a squirrel gets on it as well as one where it closes .. both work based on the weight of the animal.

Good luck .. I know it's a challenge !
We have to use metal baffles, the plastic ones get trashed in minutes. I'll have to take pics of all the contraptions we've had to use to thwart all the critters. The slinky sounds interesting, it's about the only thing we haven't tried. The shepherd's crooks go down in a couple of days! Our coons are the size of German shepherds here.

Love the pics!
Old 03-27-2013, 11:25 PM   #9744
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylie1969 View Post
I am about to bite the bullet and do some ironing....NOOOOOOOOOO
Kylie, if I lived near you I would do all your ironing for free. I love to iron. I always use it for some deep thinking and singing.
Old 03-28-2013, 01:10 AM   #9745
Chef Extraordinaire

Ads, your on...I will ship it all over to you now...thank you, your an Angel
Old 03-28-2013, 01:28 AM   #9746
Executive Chef

kylie, since you guys love your cottons so, and you have so much ironing to deal with every day, wouldn't one of those steamer machines make your job much quicker and easier?
Old 03-28-2013, 03:14 AM   #9747
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
We can learn to listen to our bodies and they will tell us what they need. You can learn to tell the difference between a craving for junk and "good cravings".
I agree 100%. If you know how "to listen to your body".

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 03:19 AM   #9748
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Not really. "If cravings were an indicator of nutritional deficiency, we'd all crave fruits and vegetables," says Karen Ansel, MS, RD, CDN. "The fact that we all want high carb, high fat comfort foods, along with the research, is a pretty good indicator that cravings aren't related to deficiencies."

Do Food Cravings Indicate Nutritional Deficiency?
Perhaps not all the junk food junkies out there but some of us are in tune with our own bodies.
I've been spot on every time. I always crave food that contain the nutrients that my body is lacking.
If you're craving hamburgers and fries it's common sense that your craving is not linked to a deficiency.

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 06:19 AM   #9749
Chef Extraordinaire

Do you bird feeders get strong winds? If I had thoses feeders with the funnels over them they'd be blowing sideways half the time, spilling the seed I imagine.
I've always wanted to set up some feeders. I used to have one mounted to a telephone pole and nobody bothered it. The seed got moldy though. It was the kind that looked like a cabin with glass sides.
Old 03-28-2013, 07:11 AM   #9750
Executive Chef

Made 8.5 quarts of Chili. Soaked 3 lbs of dried kidney beans overnight, cooked bean for about 1 hour while browning 5 pounds of beef with 8 cloves of minced garlic and 4 diced medium-large yellow onions, added 1.75 quarts of water, brought to a boil and reduced to a simmer, simmered for 4.5 hours; adding half the beans after 1 hour and the balance of the beans and bean cooking water after simmering for 2.5 hours. At 1 pint per serving, this batch should be enough for Chili for two, twice per month, for 4 months.