"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 03-28-2013, 07:28 AM   #9751
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Do you bird feeders get strong winds? If I had thoses feeders with the funnels over them they'd be blowing sideways half the time, spilling the seed I imagine.
I've always wanted to set up some feeders. I used to have one mounted to a telephone pole and nobody bothered it. The seed got moldy though. It was the kind that looked like a cabin with glass sides.
Yeah sometimes we get strong winds .. kind of goes with living in NE Ohio. Interestingly enough we really haven't lost that much seed during the wind storms.

We had one of those cabin style feeders with the clear sides .. the squirrels loved that one. They figured out that if they worked hard enough they could chew into the plexiglass and made a crack in it.

One day when I came home from shopping I saw a squirrel sitting inside of it .. he had pulled the plexi completely off.

They can be very creative and they are also super persistant.

Putting the dome over top actually serves a couple purposes .. keeps the squirrels from getting to the feeder, helps keep some of the weather out of the seed and gives the birds a wee bit of protection from the hawks that hang out here.

Old 03-28-2013, 07:30 AM   #9752
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Our coons are the size of German shepherds here.

Where the heck do you live that they are so huge.

Ours are the size of a very overfed cat .. guess we are pretty lucky !!

Old 03-28-2013, 08:12 AM   #9753
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by justplainbill View Post
Made 8.5 quarts of Chili. Soaked 3 lbs of dried kidney beans overnight, cooked bean for about 1 hour while browning 5 pounds of beef with 8 cloves of minced garlic and 4 diced medium-large yellow onions, added 1.75 quarts of water, brought to a boil and reduced to a simmer, simmered for 4.5 hours; adding half the beans after 1 hour and the balance of the beans and bean cooking water after simmering for 2.5 hours. At 1 pint per serving, this batch should be enough for Chili for two, twice per month, for 4 months.
PS- A quart of the chili weighs 2+ pounds.
Old 03-28-2013, 08:24 AM   #9754
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snip 13 View Post
I've been spot on every time. I always crave food that contain the nutrients that my body is lacking.
If you're craving hamburgers and fries it's common sense that your craving is not linked to a deficiency.
Have you had blood tests before and after the craving to confirm that? If not, how do you know you were deficient?

This started when you told Pac that his eating toasted cheese sandwiches frequently meant he had a deficiency. Based on what I've seen of his diet, I don't think he's deficient in protein or calcium. What do you think it is?
Old 03-28-2013, 08:26 AM   #9755
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by justplainbill View Post
Made 8.5 quarts of Chili. Soaked 3 lbs of dried kidney beans overnight, cooked bean for about 1 hour while browning 5 pounds of beef with 8 cloves of minced garlic and 4 diced medium-large yellow onions, added 1.75 quarts of water, brought to a boil and reduced to a simmer, simmered for 4.5 hours; adding half the beans after 1 hour and the balance of the beans and bean cooking water after simmering for 2.5 hours. At 1 pint per serving, this batch should be enough for Chili for two, twice per month, for 4 months.
I need to learn how to make good chilly, my wife loves it. I have been talking about making it for years. Personally I hate beans. She would be really happy if I did. But not now, maybe I'll talk to you after Passover to ask for lots of details.
Old 03-28-2013, 08:28 AM   #9756
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
We can learn to listen to our bodies and they will tell us what they need. You can learn to tell the difference between a craving for junk and "good cravings".
Do you have a source for evidence of that? I really am curious because I have serious chronic vitamin and mineral deficiencies because of a medical problem that makes it difficult for my body to absorb nutrients from food.
Old 03-28-2013, 08:32 AM   #9757
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Have you had blood tests before and after the craving to confirm that? If not, how do you know you were deficient?

This started when you told Pac that his eating toasted cheese sandwiches frequently meant he had a deficiency. Based on what I've seen of his diet, I don't think he's deficient in protein or calcium. What do you think it is?
Yes, I have had blood test to confirm many times before and after.

I said to Pac that it might be "a vitamin deficiency" Not I know he has one. This was not meant to be a medical debate. A few cheese sandwiches and tomatoes won't kill anyone regardless.

Some people do know their bodies well enough to be able to tell. Never said we all do.

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:54 AM   #9758
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snip 13 View Post

Yes, I have had blood test to confirm many times before and after.

I said to Pac that it might be "a vitamin deficiency" Not I know he has one. This was not meant to be a medical debate. A few cheese sandwiches and tomatoes won't kill anyone regardless.

Some people do know their bodies well enough to be able to tell. Never said we all do.
Sorry if my language was imprecise. I'm still curious to know what you think his deficiency might be.

Since I have complex medical problems and worked at a medical school, unsubstantiated medical claims are one of my pet peeves I really would like to see evidence that this is true because research I've done says otherwise.

To me, this is just like discussing different ideas about cooking. Some are true and some are not and sometimes people believe untrue ideas because that's they were taught.
Old 03-28-2013, 08:58 AM   #9759
Chef Extraordinaire

Actually, I just had a craving for toasted cheese sandwiches
I tend to not have (make/eat) things for a while, so when I do make something I hit it hard. I was still eating bread and cheese and other vegetables when I wasn't making toasted cheese sandwiches.
I'm pretty sure if I'm deficient in anything though it's chicken wings. I haven't made myself some chicken wings in probably 2-3 weeks
Old 03-28-2013, 09:10 AM   #9760
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
We can learn to listen to our bodies and they will tell us what they need. You can learn to tell the difference between a craving for junk and "good cravings".
How?