"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 03-30-2013, 10:11 PM   #9841
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
We'll want to hear all about how much it is appreciated tomorrow.
Ditto here. I always turn pound cake into the wedding dessert. A slice of cake, some berry juice, diced berries, a scoop of ice cream, chocolate syrup. Repeat. It has always been a hit. But I can eat a whole pound cake alone with no help from anyone.

Old 03-30-2013, 10:30 PM   #9842
Chef Extraordinaire

About to make some lunch

Old 03-31-2013, 12:08 AM   #9843
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta View Post
kylie, since you guys love your cottons so, and you have so much ironing to deal with every day, wouldn't one of those steamer machines make your job much quicker and easier?
We have thought of that V..then just forgot about it, may have to look into it again
Old 03-31-2013, 12:13 AM   #9844
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonbaker

... looking forward to seeing your pictures!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jharris View Post
Yes please!

No pictures, it never happened!

;)
They are all up for you to see Jeff

Kylie's Victor Trip
Old 03-31-2013, 12:19 AM   #9845
Master Chef

Trying to catch up on some posts and trying to wake up! I have to leave for Church in 1 hour to go to the Easter service. Looks like a thunderstorm is on it's way too. Hope we don't get caught in it when we walk to Church!

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 12:55 AM   #9846
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylie1969 View Post
We have thought of that V..then just forgot about it, may have to look into it again
I always wanted a mangle iron. One summer when my first husband was working in NH, I spent two weeks up there with the kids. Having nothing to do, I went downstairs and ironed the napkins and tablecloths on a mangle iron. Loved doing that. I thought it was fun.
Old 03-31-2013, 06:23 AM   #9847
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I always wanted a mangle iron. One summer when my first husband was working in NH, I spent two weeks up there with the kids. Having nothing to do, I went downstairs and ironed the napkins and tablecloths on a mangle iron. Loved doing that. I thought it was fun.
Oh, mangles...I've had a run in or two with those...ruined a couple of duvet covers when I was staying at a friend's apartment in Stockholm. I, too, was bored one day (happened to be the day the laundry facilities were booked for the apartment's use). So, I thought I'd be nice and press the duvet covers. After all, that's what mangles are really good for (we did this in Germany all the time). I guess I was a bit rusty. One of the covers got stuck in the mangle and started to scorch rather badly (had there been a smoke alarm, it probably would have set it off...). I ran down to the apartment and grabbed a knife. Ran back up to the laundry area, and hacked the duvet cover out of the mangle (I had the foresight to unplug it first). The other one got stuck as well, but I was able to extract it. I just couldn't get the scorch lines out. I haven't touched a mangle iron since. They did a really nice job (when used correctly and the cloth didn't get jammed). The take away from this story, should I ever come to visit any of you who have a mangle iron--hide it.
Old 03-31-2013, 09:46 AM   #9848
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I used to love the mangles at the laundromats in Denmark. The one near my mum's place had more than one. They had one or two of the normal size. One was huge. You worked the on/off with your foot. It was wide enough for a single sheet to go through without folding. I remember when they got it, because they gave demos to teach people how to use it.
Old 03-31-2013, 10:18 AM   #9849
Senior Cook

just made a batch of gooey, marshmallow-granola squares to take as dessert for a luncheon we've been invited to today.

Never worked with melted marshmallows before.....had to fight with the glob of stickiness in a stove top pot. Then got the brainy idea to finish melting 'em in the microwave, watching carefully.
As soon as the big puff rose up over the edge of the bowl, I opened the door and took it out.
Several more fights with the mess as I added granola and fruit to it, then smashed it down into a square pan. It's in the fridge cooling now....following a cookbook recipe (Looneyspoons).

I might have to bring some individual tubs of yogurt in case this is a failure.

My hubby keeps asking me why I try new things when I'm doing something for guests....he'd prefer if I stick to tried-and-true recipes. No fun, I tell him.
Old 03-31-2013, 10:49 AM   #9850
Senior Cook

Here's what it looks like, after 20 mins in fridge.

It eats more like candy than a dessert square, but is very tasty....the homemade granola contains many nuts, raisins, chocolate chunks, all held together with marshmallow. Looks like 'something the dog brought up' though, dang!