"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 04-06-2013, 04:44 AM   #9961
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Show us a pic of your garden. How big is big?
I started a garden once. I made it too big. I could not keep up with the weeds. Plus I only tilled it to break ground. I guess you are supposed to kill off the existing vegetation before tilling it under.
not necessarily. you just have to keep a light tilling gowing as they re-emerge until they stop when the summer's heat kicks in.

and there's better alternatives to weed tilling or manual picking:

Weed DragonŽ 400,000 BTU Backpack Torch Kit | A.M. Leonard, Inc.

a flamethrower for weeds. how cool is that? i've wanted one for years, but i just can't justify it for my tiny garden and a little kid around.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 05:38 AM   #9962
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
not necessarily. you just have to keep a light tilling gowing as they re-emerge until they stop when the summer's heat kicks in.

a flamethrower for weeds. how cool is that? i've wanted one for years, but i just can't justify it for my tiny garden and a little kid around.
Some farmers told me that is what they did, kill everything off so it can't reseed when it's tilled under. I guess it depends on the size of your garden whether you can keep tilling weeds under until they get choked out.

I have one of those torches. I bought it for two purposes; to burn weeds and to melt ice. Surprisingly, it doesn't work all that well on ice. Once you get a layer of water on top it pretty much won't keep melting what is underneath. And it does burn weeds, but any small pebbles close by heat up and explode. Enough to hit you.
That's my review anyway. Mine has been sitting for a few years. I've read they make good charcoal/fire starters though.

Old 04-06-2013, 07:43 AM   #9963
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Some farmers told me that is what they did, kill everything off so it can't reseed when it's tilled under. I guess it depends on the size of your garden whether you can keep tilling weeds under until they get choked out.
One of the instructors in the Master Gardener program suggested putting a sheet of dark plastic over the planting beds for about a month to kill weeds before tilling. I do know about men and their toys, though
Old 04-06-2013, 08:45 AM   #9964
Chef Extraordinaire

Yes, that works, too, GG. Whatever you can do to kill the existing foliage.
The garden I planted was about 25Y x 50Y. It was going good, too, until I just couldn't keep up with the weeds using my hoe. Way more work than I wanted, lol.
Old 04-06-2013, 09:43 AM   #9965
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Yes, that works, too, GG. Whatever you can do to kill the existing foliage.
The garden I planted was about 25Y x 50Y. It was going good, too, until I just couldn't keep up with the weeds using my hoe. Way more work than I wanted, lol.
Sounds like you should get: Gardening Without Work: For the Aging, the Busy & the Indolent: Ruth Stout, Robert Plamondon: 9780981928463: Amazon.com: Books or one of Ruth Stout's other books.

Someone here recommended it and I'm going to give her system a try this year, in my tiny garden. It involves mulching instead of weeding.
Old 04-06-2013, 10:03 AM   #9966
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Sounds like you should get: Gardening Without Work: For the Aging, the Busy & the Indolent: Ruth Stout, Robert Plamondon: 9780981928463: Amazon.com: Books or one of Ruth Stout's other books.

Someone here recommended it and I'm going to give her system a try this year, in my tiny garden. It involves mulching instead of weeding.
And I need to get that book back to you.
Old 04-06-2013, 10:06 AM   #9967
Chef Extraordinaire

I'm roasting chickpeas

http://wolfepit.blogspot.ca/2013/03/...hick-peas.html

I made a batch of these on Easter (ate them all). Now I'm roasting a batch using my friend's curry powder (about 2T) instead of the combination Wolfe used. I added some hot pepper flakes, smoked garlic powder, lemon zest. About 3.5 cups of chickpeas fit on my cookie sheet. I ate the rest with some chopped spinach.
Old 04-06-2013, 10:18 AM   #9968
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post

I saw one of those yesterday and had no idea what it was supposed to be used for. It was waaaaay overkill for yesterdays' use which was to heat a tip to disbud a baby goat. I am sure a bunsen burner would have been adequate. I also suspect the owner/operator of the torch wasn't using it correctly, the roar made it impossible to hear anything. But it was a cool device.

Anyway, I am off to clean an acequia, a water ditch.
Old 04-06-2013, 10:23 AM   #9969
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snip 13 View Post
I have a huge new garden. 3 pots of herbs on my balcony
Damn I wish we could move already!!
We plant about 3 acres...so we have a HUGE garden. It is all for us, the 4 dogs, and chickens--and some that we give away. I have an herb garden that is 4 ft x 8 ft. I'd have to take multiple pictures to show everything. But, we usually put in about 300 tomato plants, 50 pepper plants (hot and sweet), 400 ft of sweet corn, 200 feet of potatoes, 400 feet of beans, 100 ft of peas, I don't know how many feet of squash and pumpkin, broccoli, cauliflower, Brussel sprouts, cabbage and about 10 zucchini plants and several rows of kale, swiss chard, celery, carrots, beets, parsnips, rutabaga, eggplant, bok choy and other things. Oh, and lots of onions. The only thing we don't really have a lot of are blueberries, raspberries, and blackberries.
Old 04-06-2013, 10:40 AM   #9970
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
I'm roasting chickpeas

The Wolfe Pit: Spicy Roasted Chick Peas

I made a batch of these on Easter (ate them all). Now I'm roasting a batch using my friend's curry powder (about 2T) instead of the combination Wolfe used. I added some hot pepper flakes, smoked garlic powder, lemon zest. About 3.5 cups of chickpeas fit on my cookie sheet. I ate the rest with some chopped spinach.
OMG--these are yummy. I don't know that I'll be able to resist eating them all before my road trip (these are for snacking on while driving). OMG. I think the magic is in my friend's curry powder...but these are REALLY good (and will most likely turn my fingers yellow--but Cheetos turn one's fingers orange).