"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 04-06-2013, 06:13 PM   #9981
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I got the little credit card reader for my smartphone working. I'm all signed up and have accepted one payment. It isn't even as wide as the top of my phone. This is what it looks like:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20130406_173059.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	26.2 KB
ID:	17635  

Old 04-06-2013, 06:33 PM   #9982
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I got the little credit card reader for my smartphone working. I'm all signed up and have accepted one payment. It isn't even as wide as the top of my phone. This is what it looks like:

i just saw an ad on TV for the SQUARE, a similar device. They stated only 2.75% per transaction. Not sure if that's in addition to the charge from the credit card company or not.

Old 04-06-2013, 06:54 PM   #9983
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
i just saw an ad on TV for the SQUARE, a similar device. They stated only 2.75% per transaction. Not sure if that's in addition to the charge from the credit card company or not.
With PAYd, that's the rate, nothing extra. It's better than the one I'm paying now. It's 2.9% + $0.15/transaction if I key in the numbers instead of swiping the card. I also don't have to pay a monthly fee for this. If the money shows up quickly in my bank account, I'm going to cancel my other merchant account.
Old 04-06-2013, 08:23 PM   #9984
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
May I suggest that since you have a serious medical illness, you might want to consult your doctor before changing any meds - and OTC drugs and supplements are meds that can affect the way Rx drugs work. I imagine you're having lots of blood work done, so ask for a blood chemistry to see if you're deficient in any vitamins or minerals. Hope you feel better soon.
Thank you for your good wishes. Slept most of the day away, am feeling a little better, I will check with the doctor on monday, appreciate your concern.
Old 04-06-2013, 09:01 PM   #9985
Chef Extraordinaire

That's pretty cool, TL. Especially if you travel and need to accept cc's from your customers. And that's a pretty good rate. That was a pretty good rate you had before, too, for non-qual sales.
I read something a while back that wireless processing was the most compromised way to run a card. Are those subject to annual compliance teseting? I imagine they have to follow all the same rules.
Old 04-06-2013, 09:08 PM   #9986
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
That's pretty cool, TL. Especially if you travel and need to accept cc's from your customers. And that's a pretty good rate. That was a pretty good rate you had before, too, for non-qual sales.
I read something a while back that wireless processing was the most compromised way to run a card. Are those subject to annual compliance teseting? I imagine they have to follow all the same rules.
I assume they are doing the compliance testing.

The rates I listed are for use with this device. My other merchant account has higher rates. I phone up something they call IVR and punch in the info. I have to use one of those old fashioned imprinter things where you put the card and blank slip and slide a thing back and forth across the card and slip, then fill in the slip and have the client sign it. Now they sign my phone with a finger.

Yes, I do sometimes get paid when I'm not at home.
Old 04-06-2013, 09:26 PM   #9987
Chef Extraordinaire

Ahh, I see.
Old 04-06-2013, 10:02 PM   #9988
Chef Extraordinaire

Earlier today I took a walk over to the neighbor's house. A sure sign of Spring, he was outside changing his studded tires out for the regular tires. And I was surprised to hear that every vehicle around us, including one at the cop's house that kind of lives beside me, was broken into Monday night The light bulb's started coming on...
Tuesday morning as I opened the drapes I wondered what the police was doing so long at the house across from me, then next to them. Now I know.
And Tuesday I wondered how the heck my dome light in my truck got turned on. Now I know.
And then I remembered something waking me Monday night, it might have been my dog who prefers to sleep downstairs where it's cooler letting out a bark, I really can't say what the noise was that first woke me, but I definitely remembered my bedside dog trotting across the floor and looking at the bedroom door. Something woke him, too. And that's what really woke me up. Enough to say, Pierce, get back over here and lay down... And now I know. Talk about crappy situational awareness or maybe complacency. I should have gotten up and at least looked out the bedroom window. It looks right down on my truck with an area light to light things up on that side of the house. I might have been able to catch a glimpse.

And then the neighbor told me about the big heroin problem the local high school has Something that has not made the news or papers for obvious reasons...

So today I learned that life in the country isn't much different than life in the city. I think I'll be looking into some kind of monitoring devices.
Old 04-06-2013, 10:37 PM   #9989
Chef Extraordinaire

Good thing you have dogs, Pac.
Old 04-06-2013, 11:01 PM   #9990
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

+1. Yikes!