What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I just finished washing the kitchen floor and I'm sweating like a pig. Steve is off flying an Angel Flight mission, so I turned on all the fans and took my shirt off. Sorry about the "mind picture", it's not a pretty sight. :LOL:

I think what Andy is trying to say is "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!" LOL

Addie, I don't think kids realize that parents on retirement income just don't have the money to keep all their favorite foods in the house for when they come over. I was only 10 years old when my grandmother passed away, but I don't recall once ever eating a meal at her house. My grandfather's pension was so small. If we visited them, even on a holiday, we went after dinner.

I am surprised to hear that you spend all your food stamp money because I recall you saying that you often forget to eat or eat small amounts. I have heard people say that they have a hard time spending all their foodstamp money and if you don't use it all they will cut your amount back. Don't know if that's really true.

I am waiting for TB to wake up so we can go look at rings for our ceremony and a new TV/sound system.

I also have to pick up one of Violet's meds and return a bag of kitten food. We decided instead of getting a refund or exchange for adult food, we will donate it for when they get kittens dropped off. That is how we got Monkey and we are grateful for they care they gave her.

Do you just do taxes (I know corporate can go year round) or do you do accounting as well?
I used to do accounting, but can't be bothered any more. I just do the accounting for my biz clients. It's late taxes that I will be doing. Client got a letter from the CRA or the MRQ to get them done within 30 days.

Addie, I don't think kids realize that parents on retirement income just don't have the money to keep all their favorite foods in the house for when they come over. I was only 10 years old when my grandmother passed away, but I don't recall once ever eating a meal at her house. My grandfather's pension was so small. If we visited them, even on a holiday, we went after dinner.

I am surprised to hear that you spend all your food stamp money because I recall you saying that you often forget to eat or eat small amounts. I have heard people say that they have a hard time spending all their foodstamp money and if you don't use it all they will cut your amount back. Don't know if that's really true.

About every three months my freezer goes down to empty and like this month, I had to buy a lot of meats. They get broken down into single servings, and placed in the freezer. That is one reason I spent all my food stamps this month.

My kids are always sending me over a large plate of food. That is one reason I don't use all my food stamps in one month. And I do like to save some for the extra coffee cream, and other things I know I will run out of. And yes, if you fail to use any of your stamps, they will send you a letter before they stop your stamps. A lot of folks only get $10 a month. Now that may not sound like a lot, but it can buy a whole roast that can be cut down into single servings. There are a lot of things you can buy with that $10. A lot of the elderly consider it an insult that they only qualified for the $10. Some elderly figure that they will let that $10 accumulate month to month, and then go buy a small grocery order. By then you have already been red flagged and the FS Department is keeping an eye on your account. Use it or lose it!

I have worked with several residents in the building. You can apply on line here for them and since I have a computer (one of two residents that have one) I am only too glad to help them apply. A lot of the resident here think they have too much money. What really surprises me is when their kids refuse to allow their parents to apply for them. I guess they would rather see their parents go hungry. Really ticks me off.

I went from $168 down to $140 in stamps in less than a year. We have had two cuts this year. But that is fine with me. I figure I am still fortunate and very grateful to have what I have. :angel:

I used to do accounting, but can't be bothered any more. I just do the accounting for my biz clients. It's late taxes that I will be doing. Client got a letter from the CRA or the MRQ to get them done within 30 days.
I know about late tax notices. I was a bookkeeper for TB long before the relationship happened. He had a business with two partners - they were all programmers. Their taxes were three years behind. I got them caught up and ended up becoming a partner and eventually managing partner because programmers are not the greatest at business details or customer service. Once I took on these roles customers, vendors and the government were all much happier! :LOL:

Just finished checking all the fence boards around the house.
We don't want to ever see another repeat of what happened last night.

I've been dog sitting my neighbors dog.He's supposed to be home with his siblings,but has chosen to turn himself into "Houdini"Slips under the fence and comes running right back over to my house.

Last night I was sitting at the dining room table,at the cornet of my eye I see something moving around on the patio.Checked to see if all of our dogs were accountable.I no sooner turned around and saw that we had 4 stray dogs brazenly heading right to the doggy door.They were going to actually come in. I jumped up opened the door to shoo them off.When they saw me the took off around the house.Not without stopping and fighting with each other first.The had apparently found loose boards and come on in.

It's been a problem on this street for the past week with a pack of dogs running wild.You can't drive down the street or try and park your car while trying to avoid hitting them.

While we were fixing the fence they had ran back around to my street.
We had just finished when we heard one nasty dog fight out front.All 4 of them were at it under and around my car.They were in one vicious cycle.I've never seen dogs behaving like that.
They moved to the next yard,then the next fighting all the way.Working themselves up the street again.
My neighbor came out.So we did to.I thought she had been bitten or her kids mauled by them.They weren't.
I don't know yet anyways if those dogs hurt anyone.They were crazy!

She told me that she would call the police.Those dogs needed to be stopped.I didn't see a cruiser drive by.Hopefully they were caught and picked up on the next street over.

What's wrong with people who raise dogs to behave like that?
Don't they know the dog will probably be shot or put down?
I'm a little fed up with the ignorant dog owners like that.I'll be tossing the problem right back at them from now on.

Munky.

We've been invited to Glenn's son's home for a Fourth of July cookout/party tomorrow and I agreed to bring a bowl of my Cajun potato salad.

Well, it's taken me all day but I got it done. I'm still trussed up/splinted, etc. after having reconstructive surgery on my left hand last month and cutting stuff up is a very long process. It may have taken the bulk of the day, but I feel accomplished and I discovered some creative ways to approach and complete my task.

Just finished checking all the fence boards around the house.
We don't want to ever see another repeat of what happened last night.

I've been dog sitting my neighbors dog.He's supposed to be home with his siblings,but has chosen to turn himself into "Houdini"Slips under the fence and comes running right back over to my house.

Last night I was sitting at the dining room table,at the cornet of my eye I see something moving around on the patio.Checked to see if all of our dogs were accountable.I no sooner turned around and saw that we had 4 stray dogs brazenly heading right to the doggy door.They were going to actually come in. I jumped up opened the door to shoo them off.When they saw me the took off around the house.Not without stopping and fighting with each other first.The had apparently found loose boards and come on in.

It's been a problem on this street for the past week with a pack of dogs running wild.You can't drive down the street or try and park your car while trying to avoid hitting them.

While we were fixing the fence they had ran back around to my street.
We had just finished when we heard one nasty dog fight out front.All 4 of them were at it under and around my car.They were in one vicious cycle.I've never seen dogs behaving like that.
They moved to the next yard,then the next fighting all the way.Working themselves up the street again.
My neighbor came out.So we did to.I thought she had been bitten or her kids mauled by them.They weren't.
I don't know yet anyways if those dogs hurt anyone.They were crazy!

She told me that she would call the police.Those dogs needed to be stopped.I didn't see a cruiser drive by.Hopefully they were caught and picked up on the next street over.

I'm a little fed up with the ignorant dog owners like that.I'll be tossing the problem right back at them from now on.

Munky.

That's really scary. Are they strays? Years ago, we used to have problems with dogs traveling in packs and causing problems like that, but the city's Animal Control division has apparently picked them all up.

We've been invited to Glenn's son's home for a Fourth of July cookout/party tomorrow and I agreed to bring a bowl of my Cajun potato salad.

Well, it's taken me all day but I got it done. I'm still trussed up/splinted, etc. after having reconstructive surgery on my left hand last month and cutting stuff up is a very long process. It may have taken the bulk of the day, but I feel accomplished and I discovered some creative ways to approach and complete my task.

Glad you're feeling good about it, and hope you're not in too much pain :)

Glad you're feeling good about it, and hope you're not in too much pain :)

No pain actually and no swelling and the surgery was two weeks ago today. The arthritis pain before the surgery was far worse, and relentless, than any of the post-surgery pain. I'm way more comfortable. Just have to be very, very creative when it comes to doing day-to-day tasks. At least it's not my dominant hand.

Munky.
A local dog "obedience" (hollow laff) class meets at the stables on Tuesdays. I can't believe it when I see the dogs and their people arriving and leaving. They do all these exercises in behaviour on the leash, walking to heel, being quiet and all the other things a young dog needs to know but when they are out of the class and on their way to and from the carpark they let the dogs pull on the leash, try to throw themselves at the horses who are looking over their doors at the chaos, bark, growl and yap, and everything they are supposed to be learning goes out of the window.

A local dog "obedience" (hollow laff) class meets at the stables on Tuesdays. I can't believe it when I see the dogs and their people arriving and leaving. They do all these exercises in behaviour on the leash, walking to heel, being quiet and all the other things a young dog needs to know but when they are out of the class and on their way to and from the carpark they let the dogs pull on the leash, try to throw themselves at the horses who are looking over their doors at the chaos, bark, growl and yap, and everything they are supposed to be learning goes out of the window.
The best "dog training" does more more training of the human than the dog. :rolleyes:

Sounds delicious. Recipe please? When your hand feels beter.

Dog owner to dog:
Come here.

Dog owner to dog, a second time:
Come here.

Dog owner to dog a third (fourth or fifth) time:
Come here! I really mean it!

Finally the owner drags the dog over to his side.

What has the dog learned? It's o.k to pay no attention the first through fifth + times.

That's really scary. Are they strays? Years ago, we used to have problems with dogs traveling in packs and causing problems like that, but the city's Animal Control division has apparently picked them all up.

I don't think they are strays at all.Last night was the first time in ages that we didn't hear biting,snarling,yapping rats all night/day.

I think they live on the street behind me.The one who charged at me had a familiar snarl.The other sounded familiar to.I think it was the female in heat again the way the pack was chasing her around.

Never thought I'd see the day that my Golden Retriever would actually bow up and charge another dog.He did it.Meant it.Get out of my yard!
He beat me to the fence,chased them out.One turned around and came back at me.

We don't have animal control services here.It's on an occasion like that is when they come out.

You know, when people come to my house they are always astounded by how well behaved our dogs are.They've been well trained.We keep consistent with the do's and dont's. They've asked me to help train their dogs,so I do help.They fail to keep up.I guess it's It's easier to give up to them to let the dogs run the house.Keep them outside all the time.Who's just submitted to a 2Lb terrier? Wasn't me.

"Houdini" as we've nik named him will probably become our dog.
They won't be able to keep him from my house.He's loving the interaction with us and our other dogs.Has respected the discipline when it's needed.
I can't do much.I'm not the owner.He's got the idea no marking territory in my house.

Munky.

I am sitting here with my CD playing softly, the kids across the street like they do every year, are shooting off (illegal) firecrackers, and all of a sudden I hear the sounds of heaven. The skies opened up and it is POURING down. I looked out the window and can't even see across the street. The kid that races his electric scooter up and down the street had to have got caught in the downpour.

Now I don't mind the fireworks. It is only once a year and they have always stopped a reasonable hour. Now the kid that races his scooter all day and all night, well I would love to put my hands around his pearly white throat. It is an every day (night) occurrence.

Well, that was a quick downpour. Waiting for the next one. I am sure there is more to come. Lots of thunder far away. I just looked at my weather bug that I have on my screen. LOTS more to come. This is going to be an interesting night! Oh, oh. The rain has stopped (temporarily) and they are finishing off their firecrackers across the street.

No complaints though. After all, like most of us including Cat, they are all Americans and have every right to celebrate their birthday! :angel:

Back
Top Bottom