What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Supervising (leading by example) the removal of topsoil from some yellow turnips by dry brushing with a fine tampico brush. Soil is being added to our potted chive plants. Washing tampico brushes and sharpening a couple of cook's knives.

Are "yellow turnips" the same as rutabagas? I love rutabagas, just chopped and boiled, served with butter....or mashed into mashed potatoes.

Are "yellow turnips" the same as rutabagas? I love rutabagas, just chopped and boiled, served with butter....or mashed into mashed potatoes.
Wifey says they're the same. She'll be mashing them and we'll be eating with some butter and S&P. We got fresh unwaxed ones from our local CSA.
Think they may also be called Swedes.

Speaking of dw40, I have to hit the bathroom door with some. It's has been squeakin' horrible and woke me up around 1 am. It would be a great sound effect for a scary movie.

Finished day 5 of six this week. Daughter #1 is at work, #2 is going out later so Ken and I will be aaaaall alone. Wonder what we should do? :brows:

Movie night it is!!

just got home from marching with the scouts in a holiday parade. it's really great to be involved with a group of good parents and kids.

I just got done running around since noon and setting a pot on the stove simmering.

I picked up a meat grinder at my sister's house, practically in the next state (OK, I live relatively close to a couple state lines anyway ;)). Real old sucker, too. Then I hit Wegmans, since I was over that way. And also because they are apparently the only store around here that stocks steel cut oats. And I got their last container of them... whew... Then I butchered the heck out of a pork butt. Literally. I have no finesse when it comes to cutting raw meat off the bone and removing silver skin. And my town grocery store always removes the fat cap. Not so Wegmans :(

I also picked up dinner while I was there. And being Wegmans they had a wide variey of potatoes, so I picked up some weird kind of potatoes. Dutch golden butter or somethingorother :wacko: They beckoned me to purchase them and drown in duck fat tonight :chef:

Deciding if I really want to clean out and organize the hall closet...probably should, it's resembling Fibber McGee's closet.

Saturday morning is usually food shopping day. I also agreed to drive SO to the mall so she could "run in and out to buy something". "It'll just take a second".

I'm making stock from the turkey carcass and just finished the mise en plas for another small batch of stuffing.

In between, running outside to help SO with the exterior lighting display for Christmas while checking light strands and reindeer for functionality.

Speaking of reindeer :angel:
Last night my neighbor brought me over about ten lbs of venison sausage, some cased some not. I asked him to leave some loose for fatties. He makes good sausage :yum:

I did get the hall closet done. It's straightened and I got 1 1/2 bags of trash out of it. Lots of expired cold medicines, etc. Have a bag of towels and washcloths to turn into rags.

After about 20 years of stacking things in the linen closet, I just emptied it into 3 30 gallon trash bags. OMG, who'd figure that much stuff could be in ONE closet!

Now I have to sort it into want/need and trash.

Spent the better part of the day wrapping Christmas presents and packing the boxes that need to be shipped, printed out the USPS shipping labels and have the boxes by the door ready to take to the post office.

I was quite surprised at the difference in cost between USPS and UPS to ship these packages. I did everything online and was pleased to discover that the postal service offers a 15% discount if you pay for and print your postage using their online service. Well, there's no downside to this.

All said and done, instead to having to go to UPS and pay $40 to ship my boxes, I did it sitting in my comfy chair and paid $24 to do it. Yeah! I'm a happy camper.

Two more boxes to ship and there's no question which route I'll take.

Back
Top Bottom