What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Last winter we had a record number of deer in our neighborhood. We aren't in the country, not even in a subdivision. My husband joked with me as I came in, that he'd finally found the pet for us (he was thinking of adopting a dog), but he was afraid I thought she'd be too big. "She's out in the yard." I looked out the window and there was a doe who took up lonely residence for the afternoon. Eventually her group picked her up and she moved on. One morning I looked out the window to find two large stags walking down my street, looking for all the world like they owned the neighborhood. Much as I love looking at them, I don't like seeing them this far into town because it isn't good for THEM. It means foraging isn't going good out on the farmlands and wooded areas around the town. But they are beautiful to watch.

Last winter we had a record number of deer in our neighborhood. We aren't in the country, not even in a subdivision. My husband joked with me as I came in, that he'd finally found the pet for us (he was thinking of adopting a dog), but he was afraid I thought she'd be too big. "She's out in the yard." I looked out the window and there was a doe who took up lonely residence for the afternoon. Eventually her group picked her up and she moved on. One morning I looked out the window to find two large stags walking down my street, looking for all the world like they owned the neighborhood. Much as I love looking at them, I don't like seeing them this far into town because it isn't good for THEM. It means foraging isn't going good out on the farmlands and wooded areas around the town. But they are beautiful to watch.
Claire you reminded me of all the time I spend at my ex-MIL's in the Okanagan area of our province. She lived on the side of a hill and there was a treed area on one side and empty lot on the other. Deer used to walk through the yard to get from the safety of the trees to the good eats on the other side. They were there every year and while they were a beautiful site, they were also a nuisance because they ate foliage and stomped on plants in my MIL's and her neighbours below. They also became too used to humans around them which was not good for them.

This looks a lot like my Mom's recipe too. Thanks for sharing! I might just try it as well. :)

I have often gone to Hershey's site for recipes that call for cocoa or chocolate. For years they had the recipe for chocolate syrup. Then when I went to look for it, it was gone. And it was no where on its site. I sent an email, and they set me the recipe. Bless their chocolate hearts. I have found over the years that their chocolate cake recipe on the back of their cocoa can makes a really moist cake. My favorite cake recipe. When you are looking for a certain recipe, go to the maker of the most prevalent ingredient. Works for me. :chef:

I bought myself a solid oak work bench for Christmas and I really need to put it together and set it up in the garage so I can replace all my window screens with pet resistant screen.

img_1084254_0_b4c0d1d443cac7b9cabaedbfddce9dda.jpg

Fortunately, all three sliding screens are already pet resistant, and I only have four windows in the house with screens.

Last edited:
I bought myself a solid oak work bench for Christmas and I really need to put it together and set it up in the garage so I can replace all my window screens with pet resistant screen.
Fortunately, all three sliding screens are already pet resistant, and I only have four windows in the house with screens.
Never heard of pet resistant screen! We could really use it on our front screen door, one window and sliding patio door. Sir, can you give me some details?

^^^ Very nice wooden bench SLoB. My workbench has a lot of junk on it, every time I need to use it takes a while to clear the bench and within a few days it'll be full of stuff again. I wish my life in the garage was simpler than this.

Last edited:
I just took out chicken thighs to thaw for chicken-noodle soup. Even though I went for groceries yesterday, I still forgot a few things. So, I'm going out again in a bit.

Just got done making treat packages of Christmas candy for the grandkids. I took empty paper towel rolls and cut them in half, I put the candy inside and wrapped them with sparkling red tissue paper, then I tied the ends with red and green curling ribbon. They turned out so cute, I think the little one will like them.

Early dismissal day at the school. I just had 5 hungry teens descend upon me. 4 boxes of KD, two bags of chips, two fresh batches of cookies and several cans of pop later things have settled to a dull roar and they are playing Mario. LOL.

Tea and a book for me. UPstairs.

Early dismissal day at the school. I just had 5 hungry teens descend upon me. 4 boxes of KD, two bags of chips, two fresh batches of cookies and several cans of pop later things have settled to a dull roar and they are playing Mario. LOL.

Tea and a book for me. UPstairs.

What's "KD"?

That's the Canadian version of Kraft Mac and Cheese. They call it Kraft Dinner.

Over time, we have discovered American foods sold in Canada often have different ingredients. Not sure why.

Thanks Andy. I just figured that out for myself, except for the "Dinner" part. I thought the "D" was for Kraft Deluxe.

No way am I ever mentioning anything to do with Canada again on this site, after all the crap stirred up over mentioning their weather. Mums the word with me.

I'm getting a head start on the chicken soup and put the thighs with veggies in the oven. I forgot that Mark had a Christmas lunch today, provided by his employer. I don't know if he's going to want a BLT with the soup. If not, just crackers. When the chicken, etc are done, I'll put them in the small crock-pot. I have no idea what time he is coming home. This way, it will be ready whenever..... just have to boil some egg noodles.

Never heard of pet resistant screen! We could really use it on our front screen door, one window and sliding patio door. Sir, can you give me some details?

If you replace your own screens, you can buy pet resistant screen at just about any home supply place or hardware store (Canadian Tyre carries it). If you have someone else replace them, just ask the screen guy about it.

I had to switch after a neighbor's yappy dog came into my front yard and Tyson went right through the sliding door screen after it. Huge hole! No one plays in my yard without Tyson's permission.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom