What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We just got sad news. Our granddaughter-in-law was in a car accident and lost the baby. She is still in the hospital with internal bleeding. If I disappear, I'm off to Colorado.

We just got sad news. Our granddaughter-in-law was in a car accident and lost the baby. She is still in the hospital with internal bleeding. If I disappear, I'm off to Colorado.
PF, I am so sorry for your/their loss. Prayers are going up all round and I am sending you big love and hugs.

Thank you, LP. Hugs back!
Thanks, I could use them. My sore throat is at its worst again (third time), my fibromyalgia is in overdrive and Dad is really not doing well. He just wants to come home, but feels awful (nothing physical is wrong with him except he has no strength), is not able to walk far on his own and doesn't seem to be able to reason that if he can get positive and work at getting stronger he can come home.

He is in such a downward spiral and between this and my own health, not to mention my pain clinic (which is fabulous and helping after only three weeks!) and not sleeping because of coughing, I am really struggling. My sister had to go away this weekend but on the whole has been very good about helping with talking to nurses, getting him what he needs and visiting on the days I can't.

I am now going to have a wonderful hot bubble bath prepared by my awesome DH, with a cup of green tea, and then bed. Tomorrow I am going to take as much "me" time as possible.

PF, prayers are coming your way for you and your family. And to you also LP. There is going to be more sunshine today than clouds, so the prayers should travel rather quickly on their way up.

Now for those of you who refuse an offer from someone offering you a helping hand. When you say "No", you are denying that person that "Feel Good" feeling from doing a RAK. Just accept the offer with graciousness and say "Thank you." After all, they are only trying to be polite and thoughtful.

And for those of you who have canes, forget that pride and use the cane. You know the saying. "Pride goeth before the fall." Would you rather have your pride or embarrassment due to a nasty fall? Picture it. You fall. If you are lucky, you only have a bruised bone. Not so lucky, a broken bone. Or worse. A broken hip. By now a crowd has started to gather. You are laying there with everyone staring at you. Your clothes are in disarray, your packages strewn about, and you are trying to cling to your pocketbook. And I can tell you, by now you are crying more from embarrassment than pain. The medics arrive and the first thing they do is put a collar around your neck. An extremely uncomfortable contraption. Then you are strapped to a board. More painful discomfort. If you are lucky, some kind person has gathered your packages and they go with you along with your purse. If not, your packages are left behind. Money spent and lost. Then comes the ER. Because you fell, and if you are aged, they treat you like you have dementia.

If you are not hard of hearing, you will think you are. They will be yelling at you. There will be all kinds of uncomfortable tests. Xrays, CT's poking, prodding, calling your family. They rush in all upset. And lastly, your friends here at DC. We will be wondering where are you? All this because you didn't want to use your cane. Is your pride worth all that? :chef:

Addie, your advice is priceless. For heaven's sake, LET people help you! It makes them feel good, and you feel good. I have a blind friend (macular degeneration) who's had 3 hip surgeries. She only gets out once a week, when I help arrange it and get her to her bar-stool. When she first started needing help walking, I'd just help her myself. As the years go by, I've taken to asking any passers-by to give me a hand, holding doors open, etc. They (usually tourists) are always delighted to help! And they walk away feeling a warm-fuzzy, as do both my friend and I. I mean, I'll literally walk up to a stranger and say, "excuse me, would you hold this door open?" Everyone says yes, and everyone walks away with a smile. My friend would never have asked for help herself, but she's pushing 80 and needs it.

Addie, your advice is priceless. For heaven's sake, LET people help you! It makes them feel good, and you feel good. I have a blind friend (macular degeneration) who's had 3 hip surgeries. She only gets out once a week, when I help arrange it and get her to her bar-stool. When she first started needing help walking, I'd just help her myself. As the years go by, I've taken to asking any passers-by to give me a hand, holding doors open, etc. They (usually tourists) are always delighted to help! And they walk away feeling a warm-fuzzy, as do both my friend and I. I mean, I'll literally walk up to a stranger and say, "excuse me, would you hold this door open?" Everyone says yes, and everyone walks away with a smile. My friend would never have asked for help herself, but she's pushing 80 and needs it.

That smile has a thousands words in it. Their RAK will make the day so much happier for them and you. And more often the not, the other person will never say a word about what they did, yet carry that happy thought with them throughout the day. :chef:

Sleeping in after going to a big fund raiser last night. It was the first one like that I have ever been too. It was not like I expected it to be.

PrincessFiona60 said:

Oh no, so sorry, PF. Thoughts and prayers for you and your family, and for you and yours too, LP.

Last edited:
GDIL is out of the ICU as of 10 this morning. Grandson is home and sitting with her, she is barely awake, they haven't told her about the baby, yet. That will be when she is more alert this afternoon. Now it's down to if they need more people around. We will be deciding if we need to be there. I may just send Shrek down for a week.

GDIL is out of the ICU as of 10 this morning. Grandson is home and sitting with her, she is barely awake, they haven't told her about the baby, yet. That will be when she is more alert this afternoon. Now it's down to if they need more people around. We will be deciding if we need to be there. I may just send Shrek down for a week.
As you (and so many others) have said to me more than once, you do what you feel you need to do. We are all here for you and Frank and the gang can hold the fort. Take good care of yourself and your family! Work and DC will manage!

More hugs and prayers being sent over hill and dale and border crossings! :)

Oh no, so sorry, PF. Thoughts and prayers for you and your family, and for you and yours too, LP.
Thanks, Dawg.

I phoned and Dad had another bad night last night and is very down today. He said he doesn't want us to bother coming to see him like that but I know better. ;) We need to take some stuff up to him and DH hasn't seen him in over a week. The nurse said he coughed up some ugly stuff so they took a sample. This may mean back to the hospital if it is infection.

As for me, still no voice but the stabbing throat pain is a bit better. I got a much better sleep.

Today I am doing some paperwork for Dad, starting off on all our income taxes with what documentation I have so far, hemming more pants and prepping for DH's week (washing uniforms, boiling eggs, cooking bacon, etc.). Then we are going to watch a movie after dinner - either "The Transformers #3", "The Bridesmaids" or "A Dolphin Tale".

...in a good way, we hope?
It was good in the sense that it raised funds for the school & teacher salaries. But, it was very political & there seemed top be an uneasy stress about the evening. Not what I expected. I thought it would have been more about the community of people from church & school in a more social setting.

i just had a listen to your grandsons' band, babetoo. it's a good sound--nice vocals and some bluegrass flavor to it, too (who she is). do you go to see them perform? you must be proud of those boys and their girls, too.:)

no i don't go to see them. i generally don't go out at night. they often play out of escondido. i don't drive, so the whole thing would be a hassle. the singer, suzanne harper, is married to my youngest grandson. they have two children. both have full time jobs as does the drummer, my oldest grandson. i am proud of all my grandkids and great grandchildren. thanks for listening to them. they will be stoked. :cool:

few household chores. just have to wrap burger in small servings. maybe i will bake banana muffins. have a good book i am reading and that is on the plan for today. think i will finish knitting the scarf for my oldest granddaughter.

Off to watch the Superbowl with my Dad - all the other stuff can wait! I am sneaking him in another hot fudge Sundae!

LPBeier said:
Off to watch the Superbowl with my Dad - all the other stuff can wait! I am sneaking him in another hot fudge Sundae!

What a good daughter!

Back
Top Bottom