What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
PrincessFiona60 said:
I got it because I choked on coffee a couple days ago...now that is REALLY silly.

I'm still ambulatory, not doing too bad. Just have this nasty cough.

Oh no! No more coffee for you, PF! Get well soon!

Resting my back after scrubbing part of my %*$(#&^ white vinyl tile floor. I made the mistake of waxing it, and have been paying the price for 2 years trying to get it white again. Grrrrr!

Sounds like you need some wax stripper.

I haven't been able to find any. I'm limited pretty much to Walmart.

I got some Goo Gone and thought about trying it, but it's pretty hard to rinse off.

I'm just about to try online to see if I can find some there to order.

It's ridiculous the work and backaches I've gone through and it still looks like c**p.

I've covered most of the floor with scatter rugs, but they don't cover everything.

The thing is, it looks pretty good (not great) for awhile after scrubbing. Not mopping - hands and knees scrubbing. I rinse several times with a wet dish towel, but a few days later it's got gray areas that highlight the leftover yellow wax. This comes from smoke and dust, leaving another mess to scrub when I feel like tackling it again.

I just found and ordered Armstrong wax stripper. Finally, I found one I didn't have to buy by the case. It is 32 oz. and the shipping cost more than the product, but still less than $10. I just hope it works!

Resting my back after scrubbing part of my %*$(#&^ white vinyl tile floor. I made the mistake of waxing it, and have been paying the price for 2 years trying to get it white again. Grrrrr!

Z, when I lived in Tacoma, I moved into a house where the previous tenant used Mop & Glo. Remember that treasure? Never had to wash you floor again? The floor was a pretty black confetti tile. But you would never know it. It was grey wax. At least a quarter inch thick. I took a solution of ammonia and water, swabbed a small area, let it sit for about 10 minutes or so, and then took my heavy metal dustpan and scraped up all the wax. It was nice and soft by then. (Make sure the house is well ventilated.) That is how thick it was. And I had two rooms of it. Fortunately, it was warm outside and I had the doors and windows open. Sometimes I would have to do a second applicaton. Don't give up hope. My landlady thought she was going to have replace the floor. It looked like the day she had it installed. Fortunately, we no longer have to wax todays tiles.

I've tried ammonia. It didn't do much; and when I'm scrubbing on my hands and knees, the smell is too overpowering. With all the scrubbing I've done, you'd think it would be all gone by now, but nooooo.

My last several attempts have been using a pump spray version of bathroom cleaner.

My back wouldn't be hurting so much, but I decided to try rearranging the scatter rugs.

I haven't been able to find any. I'm limited pretty much to Walmart.

I got some Goo Gone and thought about trying it, but it's pretty hard to rinse off.

I'm just about to try online to see if I can find some there to order.

It's ridiculous the work and backaches I've gone through and it still looks like c**p.

I've covered most of the floor with scatter rugs, but they don't cover everything.

The thing is, it looks pretty good (not great) for awhile after scrubbing. Not mopping - hands and knees scrubbing. I rinse several times with a wet dish towel, but a few days later it's got gray areas that highlight the leftover yellow wax. This comes from smoke and dust, leaving another mess to scrub when I feel like tackling it again.

Remember the oil spill in Prince William's Sound in Alaska? Crude oil is nasty stuff. A rescue worker in desperation went home and got her bottle of Dawn Dish Liquid and found that it diluted the crude oil in the cold waters of Alaska. Enough that they could get it off the feathers of the wildlife. A few phone calls and cases and cases of Dawn were flown into the site. Dawn now donates their product to all oil spills to help the wildlife.

Go fast forward a couple of years. My BIL had a small boat that he loved to go out fishinig in. We had a bad Nor'easter and his boat got swamped while it was tied up at the dock. It sank. When they raised it, they took out the engine and were just let it going to sit and dry out for the rest of the summer. The only problem, oil was leaking everywhere. They needed to wash the exposed parts of the engine plus clean up the leaked spots. My sister called me in desperation. I told her about Dawn. Problem solved.

Moral of the story. Remember straight Dawn solves that greasy problem. And everytime you buy their product, they donate a dollar plus their product to saving wildlife when there is an oil spill. Use it to get rid of that greasy feeling that Goo Be Gone leaves.

Good idea, Addie. I'll try it on a couple of the worst areas. I need it looking good for inspection on Friday. I won't have the wax stripper for a couple of weeks. Thanks.

Good idea, Addie. I'll try it on a couple of the worst areas. I need it looking good for inspection on Friday. I won't have the wax stripper for a couple of weeks. Thanks.

Does Home Depot or Lowes or even your local hardware have a small container of wax stripper? Ask for the commercial strength. Tell them your 'contractor' asked you to pick it up for him. They don't want him coming back and yelling that they sold you the 'housewife' version. And you might just get the contractor's discount. :)

Just another quick thought. Your local floor store that sells tiles should have the wax stripper and will save you the shipping costs. I feel for you because I have been there and done that!!! It was no fun. Good luck! :chef:

I was going to recommend home improvement stores too. Also, see if there are any janitorial supply stores in your area. I suspect most cities need janitorial supplies for businesses who require such services.

I moved away from the big bad city for 3-4 months last year, to a small town in the Southwest, and I just couldn't handle the limited shopping. It just drove me nuts wanting stuff that I knew back in the BBC I could just drive over and get them, but none to be had in the small town. So here I am back in the BBC shopping for houses. Unfortunately in the BBC houses cost a lot more than in small town America. This just drives me nuts!

I was going to recommend home improvement stores too. Also, see if there are any janitorial supply stores in your area. I suspect most cities need janitorial supplies for businesses who require such services.

I moved away from the big bad city for 3-4 months last year, to a small town in the Southwest, and I just couldn't handle the limited shopping. It just drove me nuts wanting stuff that I knew back in the BBC I could just drive over and get them, but none to be had in the small town. So here I am back in the BBC shopping for houses. Unfortunately in the BBC houses cost a lot more than in small town America. This just drives me nuts!

I forgot about the janitorial supply stores. Great idea GG. Even better than home improvement stores. :)

I'm pretty sure any town with more than two horses has to have some place to buy janitorial supplies... I'm also fairly confident that Home Depot, Lowe's and other home improvement stores should have it.

In my old house I used some sort of acrylic product instead of wax, Future something? Combined with my not caring how shiny my kitchen floor was plus the acrylic stuff it just lasted years and years. I think I used Mop 'n Glow (?) to clean it occasionally. The acrylic directions said to remove with pneumonia (maybe that was ammonia) so I just made sure I never used that. It didn't look that bad as long as it was clean (linoleum).

In house hunting I'm looking for kitchen floors that don't need wax. Not sure what kind that is. Tiles? I guess I'm not really that good at homemaking skills other than cooking. I'm single and would probably make a good match for a woman who is obsessive about cleaning and hates to cook! :) (Talk about Jack Sprat and his wife!)

Back to work today, I have the office to myself and will be able to get a lot done. I usually have two computers working when I'm alone. Coughing up more crud this morning, but it's easier. No fever and I feel great!

...In house hunting I'm looking for kitchen floors that don't need wax. Not sure what kind that is. Tiles?...

Ceramic tile. Great stuff. Just needs to be washed. Make sure you have grout sealer applied to the grout to prevent staining. You have to reapply every 25 years or so.

Back
Top Bottom