What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'll be watching the other races as well. I don't know why I didn't remember the derby was on today. I have watched it with my Dad since I was little. I love horses and I too don't care who wins. Though I kind of like some of the jockeys and often route for them! :LOL: It is just such a regal sport. I love show jumping and have also been to the Cloverdale (here in BC) and Calgary Stampedes.

I used to barrel race...that was a couple of years ago.:LOL:

I was flabbergasted when I went to the Santa Anita Racetrack. It was gorgeous. I knew that thoroughbreds were pretty horses, but OMG, they were gorgeous (and frail looking). It was absolutely nothing like I expected. It was soooo much better.

I was flabbergasted when I went to the Santa Anita Racetrack. It was gorgeous. I knew that thoroughbreds were pretty horses, but OMG, they were gorgeous (and frail looking). It was absolutely nothing like I expected. It was soooo much better.
Wow, I would love to go to one of the big tracks. My Dad (and sometimes my Mom would come) would talk me to Hastings Park in Vancouver. They weren't heavy betters by any means, but they loved to watch the horses and had a table in the clubhouse. I loved watching from there and the food was incredible. But to see Santa Anita or one of the other big tracks would be amazing.

Wow, I would love to go to one of the big tracks. My Dad (and sometimes my Mom would come) would talk me to Hastings Park in Vancouver. They weren't heavy betters by any means, but they loved to watch the horses and had a table in the clubhouse. I loved watching from there and the food was incredible. But to see Santa Anita or one of the other big tracks would be amazing.
I was visiting my parents in California. We went with some of their friends. I had expected it to be kind of sleazy, you know, like bookies. But, it was nothing like that. I think I bet $2 in each race :LOL:

When we were on the road, we aimed to go for anything interesting. We arrived in Kentucky maybe the day of or after the Derby. You can't even get in unless you know someone. BUT, I'd never been to a horse race before. So we went to Churchill Downs the Sunday after. I don't even know how to gamble on a race, so we didn't. We just took our mint juleps and went and watched the races. I've been to car, hound, boat races and .... well, yawn! But I could get addicted to the horse races ... without gambling! The animals are wonderful, beautiful. And you can feel the earth move, literally, when they go by you. I loved it.

I see that I put my Derby thoughs in the wrong thread -- didn't see this one going. I always pick a horse, never bet, sometimes actually luck out just by chance. Didn't choose the winner this year, but felt the whole crowd's excitement at that dazzling finish. Wow.

We are deciding which showing of "The Avengers" we are going to and whether we are going to see it in 3-D or not. Since we've never been to a 3-D, we are leaning that way.

When we were on the road, we aimed to go for anything interesting. We arrived in Kentucky maybe the day of or after the Derby. You can't even get in unless you know someone. BUT, I'd never been to a horse race before. So we went to Churchill Downs the Sunday after. I don't even know how to gamble on a race, so we didn't. We just took our mint juleps and went and watched the races. I've been to car, hound, boat races and .... well, yawn! But I could get addicted to the horse races ... without gambling! The animals are wonderful, beautiful. And you can feel the earth move, literally, when they go by you. I loved it.

Claire, I love all equestrian events. Even horse racing. I think horses are so beautiful Dumb, but beautiful. For all the animals my 4H kids worked with, I think I gave special attention to the horse kids. There was a group of kids at the Fair every year. They would put their horses through their paces with just the movement of their knees. No reins, no harness, nothing. Just their knees. The kids were betweem 12 and 15. They were part of the Pre-Rodeo show every year.

I live just a stone's throw from Suffolk Downs. And I have never been to a race there. I have been to the banquet hall for functions. :)

We are deciding which showing of "The Avengers" we are going to and whether we are going to see it in 3-D or not. Since we've never been to a 3-D, we are leaning that way.
We went on Friday and went to the 3-D version. We had a choice of regular 3-D and Imax 3-D and chose the regular. It was good, though I did find that it didn't always make a difference. However, there were some really WOW moments (won't give any spoilers). DH said it was distracting for him at times.

But it was worth it and it was a really good movie! They did a great job of weaving the characters' personalities and stories together and Stan Lee got his little part in.....I always look for that in a Marvel Movie! :)

I'm trying to get myself ready to go pick up my new cell phone in an hour. Yes folk's, I have been fighting it for ages, but I am actually getting my first smart phone. DH has been wanting me to have one for awhile, so I can check and transfer account balances while out, always have my Michael's coupons handy, and a long list of things.

The one thing I held out for was a smart phone with keyboard because I can't type on those touch-pad ones with my arthritic fingers. My friendly neighbourhood Fido representative knew the perfect one but didn't have it yesterday so she was having it come from another store. :)

I'm trying to get myself ready to go pick up my new cell phone in an hour. Yes folk's, I have been fighting it for ages, but I am actually getting my first smart phone. DH has been wanting me to have one for awhile, so I can check and transfer account balances while out, always have my Michael's coupons handy, and a long list of things.

The one thing I held out for was a smart phone with keyboard because I can't type on those touch-pad ones with my arthritic fingers. My friendly neighbourhood Fido representative knew the perfect one but didn't have it yesterday so she was having it come from another store. :)
Which phone are you getting? I'm with Fido too. I had to insist that I only wanted 100 megabytes of data/month for $10, instead of the 1 gig they were recommending. After three months, I still haven't gotten to 50 meg in a month. Of course I download apps at home with our wifi network, which doesn't count for data usage. And if I want to use a map when I'm out, I usually load it and any directions at home too. Then there is less to load when I'm out on their 3G network.

Don't forget to download Our Groceries. It's extremely useful.

I think I will be the last one of this planet who has "just a cell phone." With the last cell phone, the minutes would roll over. I would get 60 minutes each month. When I gave it to Son #2, there were more than 2,000 minutes unused.

I have a free cell phone for elderly. I use it to call Son #1 to find out where in the store he is so we can meet up at a register. I do take it with me everywhere in case of an emergency. Son #1 has the same phone. I should have him sit down with me and show me how to use all the features. I don't even know how to txt. :ohmy:

Matt and I are going to see that at 2:30 today! I for one am very excited...and yes, I am Way past my teens!

Last night I got such a strong hanking, I made the scallopped potatoes. But by the time I had it put together, I was sleepy. So the first thing this morning, I got up and put it in the oven. It is so creamy. I used milk and half and half. Plus seasonings. S&P. I slice an onion and added that. One can never have too much garlic or onions. :yum::yum:

The last several days I've been reorganizing and redoing my lovely studio that Glenn built for me. So far I've done all the heavy moving and shoving and now it's down to the little, nit-picky stuff. That'll take me, probably, several weeks. That's fine because I'm going to need something gentle to do as I recover from anticipated hand surgery. I see the doc tomorrow and will learn when.

I love my studio because it's so nice and spacious (18' x 24'), has 5 huge windows in it and a high ceiling. It's so cheerful and I am always tended to by my kitties, Sally and Tumble. I can spend hours playing to my heart's content and listen to audio books as I create/design/make things.

Retirement is awesome!!!!

Back
Top Bottom