What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You milled the wood too?
I had mad respect for just doing the floor. I did it once with my grandfather and it sucked. My hands were numb for days. Dust it everywhere. Knowing you milled the wood too its pasted just doing a floor its a labor of love.
Either that or you're just plum crazy.
I'll stick with thinking it's a labor of love.

The finishing was done with a belt sander and then an orbital (orbit?) on my hands and knees...I could've rented one of those floor sanders, but the last time I did, it was like trying to control a bucking bronco...or maybe that was the edge sander...I'm done with the sanding, waiting for the floor expert to give me the go-ahead tomorrow to slap the first coat of finish on. TL, s/one who goes to the trouble of milling the wood, etc., do you really think that person would rent a floor sander?:LOL:
Actually, yes.

I know they are kinda hard to steer. They steer like those professional floor polishers. I learned how to steer one of those. It's not hard, once you get the hang of it. But, until you do get the hang of it, "bucking bronco" is a pretty good description. Just the tiniest extra pressure on one handle will make it take off in that direction (or is it the opposite direction? It's been a long time).

I cleaned out the top shelf of the pantry. I can only reach it standing on a chair so anything up there gets forgotten about.

I found more than 10 lbs of confectioners chocolate, mostly milk, some dark and some white. I have no idea what to do with it.

I don't know what to put up there. Right now it's less than half full of drink mixers, liqueurs, wine, and whiskey and spiced something. I put the cooking wine-burgundy near the front for when I cook with it. What can I put up there? What do you put on that shelf that is too high to reach without a chair?

The shelf above the fridge is too high. You have to grab the stool, we keep seasonal platters, extra vases, extra wine glassware, and the kitchen toys we don't use often like the waffle iron.

The shelf above the fridge is too high. You have to grab the stool, we keep seasonal platters, extra vases, extra wine glassware, and the kitchen toys we don't use often like the waffle iron.

Good idea, I have some things in the hall closet (which should be just used for clothes and vacuum), like a taco fry mold, cookie cutters, and kitchen gifts I've forgotten. This will force me to decide if I really need some of these things or not.

I'm off to the pool and then shopping before making lunch (our big meal). I am really looking forward to my pool time so maybe it is starting to become part of my routine instead of something I push myself to do.:)

This afternoon I am meeting my sister to exchange some paperwork regarding Dad's estate. It looks like we can file probate on Friday!

And finally, I am going to make and decorate cupcakes to take to my final pain management class tomorrow - mortar boards for the group, apples for the leader team. :LOL:

That's the sort of stuff I keep on shelves that are too high. When I had canning equipment, that went up there too, 'cause it only got used in summer/early fall.

Made some molasses, honey, vinegar drink for the week. Made granola from rolled oats and quinoa flakes, craisins, walnuts.

oh yeah, and I consolidated crystallized honey into one container and melted the honey into the honey serving container.

Last edited:
Trying to get my house ready for the next renter. Landlord is coming to do the walk through tomorrow, so of course the laundry sink overflowed when I did a load of laundry, and I keep coming across things that need to be done that I had forgotten about. Grr. Plus cleaning up messes my bf (who already started his new job in a new city) left for me. I hate moving.

Last edited:
i just heard that in addition to trader joe's and the fresh market, a wegman's will be opening up in our little university town. according to the newspaper article on this, i learned that wegman's only opens three new stores per year. so, lots to look forward to! they'll be competing with our existing whole foods store and foods of all nations already here. but i guess they've done their demographics research....still no costco for us, but i guess you can't have everything.... :)

oops, this was intended to go to the stray thoughts thread, sorry....

Last edited:
For a while now, there seems to be a food war going on here in my part of the country. We just had a Wegman's open here with plans to open another. It is getting out of control when a grocery store is as big as one city block. Whole aisles are devoted to just one product. the store I go to has one aisle devoted to just drinks. Water and soda. I have yet to go in that aisle. And another is devoted to just one brand. Goya. Another aisle I skip along with the international aisle unless I am going to be making something that calls for a sauce that I don't normally keep on hand. You can always tell what is on sale. You can find it not only on end caps, but in special bins up front and placed several places throughout the store. And when a new product is being hyped, everything but the marching band is there telling you to buy it.

My store has three different shopping carts. The BIG ones, when full are almost impossible to push. No wonder I see more women bringing their husbands along for shopping. They also now have carts where you can seat three small kids right along with the groceries. Grocery shopping is no longer fun. :(

I'm sitting here trying to figure out how I got this giant scratch down the back of my leg. Ouch.

I'm also contemplating whether or not ironing is required on the shirt I want to wear to work. I might be lazy and do the dryer - wet washcloth trick.

Just finished planting two more containers of this year's summer vegetable garden. These last ones were one each of cucumbers and zucchini.

It's just too, too dry to plant a full-blown garden out back and our arthritis is more restrictive this year, so containers are our method of choice.

I still have some Italian green beans to plant but, so far, everything else is going gangbusters. There are already blooms on the green and orange bell pepper plants and I noticed some on some of the Roma tomato plants this morning. Yeah!!!!

I'm really looking forward to having enough tomatoes to put some by. There are a total of 4 Roma plants, which should be enough to yield enough for canning a few jars. The pantry's getting low and I'd love to be able to replenish the slim supply if possible.

Everything seems to be doing so well that we might continue this form of gardening in the future. Jury's still out, though.

spent a lot of time on the phone. re a ride to the doctor, making dr. appointment. called books by mail and placed an order. called in refills for meds. now just have to call ride back and tell him what time. right now taking a break, then clean up kitchen, change sheets on bed. and clean up cat water and food area. now if all that isn't boring then i don't know what is.

Just finished planting two more containers of this year's summer vegetable garden. These last ones were one each of cucumbers and zucchini.

Everything seems to be doing so well that we might continue this form of gardening in the future. Jury's still out, though.

Kate here in the city, gardening space is at a minimum. Row on row of triple deckers with very small plots for backyards leaves very little room to plant a garden. So a most popular way here is container gardening. Restaurants at the beginning of planting season save all of their five gallon containers that pickles, and other food items come in, then sell them to the highest bidder. Five tomato plants placed around the perimeter of those buckets can yield a good amount of produce. Vine growing plants are the most popular. Tomatoes, cukes, pole beans, etc. It is this way that the three families living in one building can grow their own garden and still have room for sitting out and enjoying the yard. And a safe place for the children to play. A bonus is that during this drought, any water goes directly to the plants. The down size is that it does take a lot of dirt. Most of the folks here put rocks in the bottom to not only to require less dirt, but to hold the buckets down in a high wind. Also container gardening lets you move the plants out of harms way if a storm comes your way. Glad you found a way to enjoy your summer. :)

I cleaned out the top shelf of the pantry. I can only reach it standing on a chair so anything up there gets forgotten about.

I found more than 10 lbs of confectioners chocolate, mostly milk, some dark and some white. I have no idea what to do with it.

I don't know what to put up there. Right now it's less than half full of drink mixers, liqueurs, wine, and whiskey and spiced something. I put the cooking wine-burgundy near the front for when I cook with it. What can I put up there? What do you put on that shelf that is too high to reach without a chair?

I put my paper towels (buy them by the case at Costco) They are light enough to pick off the top shelf with a grabber stick and don't hurt when they hit me on the head.:)

PrincessFiona60 said:
I put my paper towels (buy them by the case at Costco) They are light enough to pick off the top shelf with a grabber stick and don't hurt when they hit me on the head.:)

Sigh. Costco.

Soon.

Back
Top Bottom