What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks for your post. It reminded me to do an incremental weekly backup of my critical data. I'm running under Vista 'Ultimate' on my main machine but use Win '98, Win 7 and Win XP- SP3 on my other machines. The way I figure it, the data is about the only thing that requires frequent backup; since I hope to be able to process that data on my other machines when the main machine's disk fails. In the old days ( back in 1995), this was referred to as a disaster recovery plan and I had the 'pleasure' of participating with such planning with an organization that was housed in the North tower of the World Trade Center in NYC.
Yeah, data is all I am interested in backing up. I either have the disks or I can download the software. Receipts for software are data. ;)

Anytime I need to backup, my son runs a virus scan and spy-ware check first. Sure enough he found a couple of viruses the last time. The viruses weren't a problem in and of themselves. But if they went with the backup, and I needed later to use the backup, the viruses would have became active and destroyed the files. Sure was a surprise to me. :ermm:

Looking into a Nutrition course i'd like to take, with a 'herbal' type course (remedies, recipes..ect)... thinking, thinking!

Today we both had the day off together. I was determined to get out of the house, so we made an impromptu trip to Wilmington NC, beautiful day with very low humidity. We went to the arboretum, which would have been peaceful if there wasn't a wedding going on, and a DJ playing really bad music didn't help (play that funky music white boy, brick house, LOL). It was beautiful anyway. We went to a great little bakery that we discovered a couple years ago, and then walked the historic district.

Beautiful day, glad we got out of the house!

Today we both had the day off together. I was determined to get out of the house, so we made an impromptu trip to Wilmington NC, beautiful day with very low humidity. We went to the arboretum, which would have been peaceful if there wasn't a wedding going on, and a DJ playing really bad music didn't help (play that funky music white boy, brick house, LOL). It was beautiful anyway. We went to a great little bakery that we discovered a couple years ago, and then walked the historic district.

Beautiful day, glad we got out of the house!
Sounds like a fun day. It sounds like something we would do some afternoon in Omaha.

What am I doing? Hmmm...I'm wrapping up what has been one of the worst weeks of my life. As you know, my boss is out with surgeries and I am running the office in her absence, one more week and she will be back.

Last Sunday Shrek, "just don't feel good, stomach feels icky." Blood sugars were excellent, not running a fever, actually felt cool to the touch. But he was able to eat. Monday morning he felt a bit worse, but again, everything was good and he wasn't having any pain. At 10 AM I get a call from him asking to be taken to the ER. 6 hours later he was being wheeled into the OR for an appendectomy.

Three hours later he was still in surgery...his appendix had burst and he had to have a foot of his large intestine removed. He spent two days in the ICU and as soon as they moved him to the surgical floor, he became completely confused and was pulling all his tubes out, because the TV told him too and the cats in the picture kept staring at him...it was a picture of a field of daisies. Friday, he was mostly back to his right mind.

He will be discharged tomorrow, he's ambulatory, antibiotics are done, but he still has a big open wound that they do not want to suture in case there is still some infection, so he has a vacuum wound closure system that is changed every three days. Shrek will be going to my facility, so he won't be calling me at work telling me he can't find this or that, etc. He'll be at work so I can keep an eye on him and know he is still getting first class care.

I almost lost the old fart, friends! Much as I complain about him...I sure would miss not having him around.

So...that was my week, how is yours going?

OMG, PF, and you didn't tell us until NOW? I am glad to here he is on the mend, but what an ordeal! And, it is great that he can go to your facility--some of your co-workers can help keep him in line and keep you from smothering him with a pillow...HUGS!

Good lord that makes my week look like paradise, thanks for the perspective, at least something good came out if it!

Glad that he's on the mend and can recover where you can be close to him and you won't have to worry about him!

OMG, PF, and you didn't tell us until NOW? I am glad to here he is on the mend, but what an ordeal! And, it is great that he can go to your facility--some of your co-workers can help keep him in line and keep you from smothering him with a pillow...HUGS!

Thanks CWS! I've been at work and the hospital for the past week...maybe 4 - 5 hours at home at a time and then back into the fray. Also been a total wreck and wanted anytime here at DC to be relaxing, not reliving each day.

Good lord that makes my week look like paradise, thanks for the perspective, at least something good came out if it!

Glad that he's on the mend and can recover where you can be close to him and you won't have to worry about him!

I have to worry about him having more nurses to chase...:LOL: Thanks, Bakechef!

I am just so thrilled that he will be at your facility! What a good way to keep track of Shrek AND the nurses! :LOL:

Seriously, I can't believe it worked out so well. Hope you both can get some much deserved rest and peace.

I am just so thrilled that he will be at your facility! What a good way to keep track of Shrek AND the nurses! :LOL:

Seriously, I can't believe it worked out so well. Hope you both can get some much deserved rest and peace.

Thanks, Dawg!

He only had one nurse I wanted to throttle:angel: What a ditz! Overall, while not a wonderful experience, it was good to see the excellent hospital staff in action.

Okay...I'm off to bed!

Last edited:
Right, except that Frisbee is a brand of discs :) It's great exercise because the best courses are all up and down hill. It's actually how my bf and I met- on the disc golf course!

Yep, most of us call all discs Frisbees though. Sort of like calling all tissue, Kleenex. It was the easiest way to explain it.

Thanks, Dawg!

He only had one nurse I wanted to throttle:angel: What a ditz! Overall, while not a wonderful experience, it was good to see the excellent hospital staff in action.

Okay...I'm off to bed!

There has to be at least one ditzy nurse. I think that is a requirement. So glad things are going better.

Oh, Princess Fiona, I am so sorry. Having spent a month dealing with it all my heart goes out to you. At least you're in the know with medical stuff. Sometimes I want to scream when I have to deal with medical staff and throttle a few people because they won't let me know what is going on.

happy endings, pf. you and shrek have been playing out love story in the real word for us fans. we always root for both sides (you and shrek) and always, always, wish you well.... :)

Sure you complain about Shrek PF. But it is always done with love. And that comes through. When your boss comes back, take a four day weekend Fri-Mon and shut off the phone. You can baby Shrek. And we all know how men love to be babied when they have even just an ingrown hair. Just remember to take care of yourself also.
You both are in my prayers. :angel: :flowers::kiss::wub:

He will be discharged tomorrow, he's ambulatory, antibiotics are done, but he still has a big open wound that they do not want to suture in case there is still some infection, so he has a vacuum wound closure system that is changed every three days. Shrek will be going to my facility, so he won't be calling me at work telling me he can't find this or that, etc. He'll be at work so I can keep an eye on him and know he is still getting first class care.

PF I am sorry to hear about Shrek, I will keep both of you in my prayers!

It is nice that you will be able to keep an eye on him at your facility.

Ya better throw a couple of bedpans in the freezer! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

PF I am sorry to hear about Shrek, I will keep both of you in my prayers!

It is nice that you will be able to keep an eye on him at your facility.

Ya better throw a couple of bedpans in the freezer! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

When I worked in a small community hospital, and there weren't any babies in the nursery, I was on the floor. I loved it when males came in for AP surgery. The next morning or even sooner it was necessary to get them up and out of bed as soon as possible. Now we all know how short those lovely hospital gowns are on men. I would go in and throw the blankets back to the bottom of the bed. They would immediately try to cover their genitals and reach for the blanket at the same time. The whole idea was to get them moving. And it worked. Then when you told them they had to sit up and dangle, then get up and into a chair, :ohmy::ohmy:. You would have thought that we wanted them to die right there. We were trying to kill them. The incentive to get them to cooperate was to have a pair of PJs on the chair to put on. That was their prize for being a good boy. :angel:

I'm awfully sorry to hear of Shrek's illness. Good grief, what a week! I think this calls for administration of chocolate to the Princess. Lots of chocolate. Sending many wishes for Shrek's speedy recovery.

PF, what a week for you! I hope shrek continues to heal. Take good care of yourselves. I'm thinking of you both.

Back
Top Bottom