What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Relax.

It probably wasn't a cockroach. It was probably a beetle. Time to do some Googling ;)

Thanks for helping me calm down :wacko:

I've been googling for littlebit already. And you're right, it might be a waterbug or something. But.. I still kinda think it looked more like a tan cockroach. But I don't think it had those "whiskers".
Too bad the dog ate it..

So will that mean that since I haven't seen one during the 4 months I've lived here, it's not likely that I have roaches in my walls?
I keep the house very clean, but ofc dogs are dirty creatures.

Oh man, scary. I've seen horrific things on tv...

Thanks for helping me calm down :wacko:

I've been googling for littlebit already. And you're right, it might be a waterbug or something. But.. I still kinda think it looked more like a tan cockroach. But I don't think it had those "whiskers".
Too bad the dog ate it..

So will that mean that since I haven't seen one during the 4 months I've lived here, it's not likely that I have roaches in my walls?
I keep the house very clean, but ofc dogs are dirty creatures.

Oh man, scary. I've seen horrific things on tv...
No guarantee you don't have them in the walls. They mostly come out when it's dark. If it is a cockroach, it could have come home with the groceries.

It doesn't really matter if the kitchen is clean. What cockroaches need from people, is water. That's what the exterminator told me. He said that cockroaches can live off eating your curtains and carpets :ohmy:, but they need a source of water.

Addie, why don't you slice the bread and put it in the freezer then just take out the slices that you want - it lasts a long time this way. Dad, DH and I all had different types of bread and I did it this way. DH's gluten free bread wouldn't last a day if I didn't freeze it. And it tastes as fresh as the day it was made (even bought stuff!!).

I hope it goes well for you with your blood. I get worried about you, you know. :angel:

Thanks for the concern. Again no blood today. They just can't find a vein. Two people tried. I will drink plenty of water over the weekend. Then I will go back Monday and they will try again. This is nothing new for me. I am not a person to get depressed. I get mad and fight back. So anytime I have a health problem, I fight back. With the doctor or even my body. But I will come out the winner. Right now I have a whole bunch of hematomas on both arms from the tourniquets on Tuesday and yesterday. So most of them will be gone by Monday. Then maybe they can see a vein. Being slightly dehydrated doesn't help. Thus I need to drink more water.

Right now I don't have room for my breath in the freezer. I have done that in the past with bread. But with bread that I am will to eat more than once. Like rye swirl. I buy a small loaf of white bread at the beginning of the month. Make a sandwich minus the crust. At the end of the month, the bread is still sitting there, fresh. I do wrap it well. But I can't help but wonder what chemicals are in that loaf that keeps it fresh that long. That makes me not want to eat it at all. Bird Feed. I never buy artisan bread. You are lucky if it lasts a day. More bird feed. I am just not a bread eater. Never have been. As a school kid, my mother would pack a lunch for me. I would peel off all the bread and leave just enough to hold the sandwich with two fingers and eat the inside. When I was dating my second husband, we would go to a sub shop for lunch. I would order an Italian sub hold the bread. They would just give me the filling with a plastic fork and knife so I could cut the cold cuts. It never occurred to me to take the bread home. I love to make bread. Just not eat it.

When my daughter is having a pool party I will bake a couple of loaves of Italian. There is never any left. Sometimes I get it to her still warm. She only lives a block from me. :)

Oh my blob! I think I just saw a cockroach on the kitchen floor!
What do I do now?! Am I gonna have to tear the house down??

Bought the house in February. Never seen one before. Never seen a cockroach ever actually, until today.
I had my dog eat it. Is that ok? Do they carry rabies or mad cow decease? :ohmy:

I know nothing!! There are no cockroaches where I'm from.

Breweries are notorious for roaches. So when you bring in a bag from a liquor store, it is very likely that a roach could be in the bag. When I lived in Texas, at night you would walk out the door and hear, Crunch, crunch. There was a carpet of roaches across the grass sipping off the dew on the blades. You should call an exterminator. They now have chemicals that have no odor and are quick to exterminate them. They do live in warm places, like the motor of your fridge. And they do come out when the lights go out. I have a saying that goes, "He disappeared faster than a roach when the lights go on." Home remedies do not work. They multiply fast. :)

Breweries are notorious for roaches. So when you bring in a bag from a liquor store, it is very likely that a roach could be in the bag. When I lived in Texas, at night you would walk out the door and hear, Crunch, crunch. There was a carpet of roaches across the grass sipping off the dew on the blades. You should call an exterminator. They now have chemicals that have no odor and are quick to exterminate them. They do live in warm places, like the motor of your fridge. And they do come out when the lights go out. I have a saying that goes, "He disappeared faster than a roach when the lights go on." Home remedies do not work. They multiply fast. :)

Oh gooosh.. And I keep he house at almost 80 degrees! They probably flew the neighbors houses and came here..

Oh well, thanks y'all. Hubby gets home tonight, I'll see what he thinks we should do.

I totally understand about the drawing blood. I used to have to have it done every three months for medication checks. They can only take from one arm and there are hundreds of "track marks" there. When I can stay at a lab over a period of time they don't worry about it. But if I go somewhere else they get whispering and glaring. I tell them "no, I am not a junkie, just TRY to find a vein elsewhere.

I have had to go for outpatient IV therapy on three different occasions during the past 4 years. The nurses get in tears for me and I apologize to them because they have an awful time finding veins and then the ports are only viable for a few days. So, they have to keep poking and prodding.

So, you will be in my thoughts and prayers over the weekend that the hematomas will heal and that Monday they will get it first try! :)

Sitting here trying to wake up. My daughter had planned a day in the yard with BBQ. "Come around one Ma. " I was so lookinig forward to it. I called her in a panic almost crying. She had cancelled it because it was so cold outside. So Monday is supposed to be really hot. She has rescheduled. YEA! :)

taking it easy today. passed out in the bathroom, yesterday a.m. so off to the e.r. we went. three staples in the top of my head, lots of blood, lots of tests. they decided i must have gotten up to quickly. anyway, slight headache , sore neck and shoulders. at least this time when the ambulance got here i was dressed. each time before was naked. dr's appointment end of next week. to remove staples and discuss the causes if possible. kids all in an up roar over yet another fall. i am home and here is just where i am staying. my medi alert worked like a champ. worth every penny i pay for it.

taking it easy today. passed out in the bathroom, yesterday a.m. so off to the e.r. we went. three staples in the top of my head, lots of blood, lots of tests. they decided i must have gotten up to quickly. anyway, slight headache , sore neck and shoulders. at least this time when the ambulance got here i was dressed. each time before was naked. dr's appointment end of next week. to remove staples and discuss the causes if possible. kids all in an up roar over yet another fall. i am home and here is just where i am staying. my medi alert worked like a champ. worth every penny i pay for it.
Oh no! (((hugs)))

I hope the doctor finds something easy to take care of that caused it. Thank goodness you have the medi alert. Do you have to push a button? Do you talk to someone?

Oh babetoo, you must learn to move more slowly now. We are not young anymore. Our body wants to slow down. I know it is a hard lesson to learn. It is akin to giving up. But it is just the opposite. It is a whole new learning curve as we get older. It just makes us smarter with more knowledge. And it gives us more wisdom that we can share with the youngsters.

One day the doorbell rang. I jumped up too fast and my legs were not happy. I knew I was going down. So I leaned against something and slid down. I couldn't get back up. The person at the door was the pharmacy delivery. He came in after I didn't answer his knock. Saw me on the floor and immediately called 911. When they came, I told them what happened and they helped me get up again. Imagine what would have happened if I insisted on trying to walk when my legs said "No." I could have broken a hip or worse. Even more bones. And the same goes for you. And this is not your first fall. That was my first and only fall. I do not plan on having any more.

A broken hip is no fun. There have been a number of residents here who have broken hips from falls and they failed to be able to return to independent living. They ended up in rehab and never fully recovered. They never did learn to walk with a walker or other medical hardware. You don't want to end up in rehab.:huh:

Last edited:
babetoo, I'm glad you're here to talk about it. Take care of yourself and let's hope the Dr. has a simple answer.

Oh no! (((hugs)))

I hope the doctor finds something easy to take care of that caused it. Thank goodness you have the medi alert. Do you have to push a button? Do you talk to someone?

i wear it around my neck. push button, a human person comes on and asks what assistance i need. they stay on til the ambulance gets here. i have a door key hidden that they know about so fireman don't have to break down the door. then they call people i have listed to be notified. son was out in boons working, daughter couldn't leave her business. now the last to be called was my granddaughter zesty. she came right to the hospital and stayed with me, also a grandson came with her. he is an adult. so i got stapled, tested and they brought me home. pretty rocky for a while last night. but fine today, slight head ache shoulders and neck are sore. when i got home was phone call from the medi alert office to make sure all went well. i am so glad i got it.

A broken hip is no fun. There have been a number of residents here who have broken hips from falls and they failed to be able to return to independent living. They ended up in rehab and never fully recovered. They never did learn to walk with a walker or other medical hardware. You don't want to end up in rehab.:huh:

Hey now! I am "rehab" in a nursing home! I send a lot of people home! :cool: You are right though, a lot also do not go home, a broken hip isn't fun and no.. you do not want to go to rehab! :LOL:

Glad you are ok babetoo, I was thinking about you!

I am "Rehab" too...most of the others are not Ogres...

Please be careful, Babetoo! I miss you when you are not around. {{{{Babe}}}}

babetoo said:

Eeeks! {{{{{Babe!}}}}}

I've got a lot of appreciation for rehab workers. Both of my parents have been in and out of rehab a couple of times with knee replacements in the last 5 years. Last July 19 Dad had his second replacement on his right knee. Things seemed to heal OK until he spiked a high fever the first of September. Turns out hehad resistant staph in that knee. They had to remove the replacement and put in spacers. After lots of antibiotics and a couple weeks in hospital he was moved to a rehab facility. When insurance ran out they stepped him up level of care & moved him to a different facility. He finally got the OK to get the knee back in & then spent 3 weeks in rehab post surgery. He came home right before Christmas. He still gets visiting therapists every week. He has to go for water therapy now. He's not getting strength back and is starting to lose in the other leg. Not being able to get out and do things on his own is driving him nuts. He's 85 yo & up to the infection he worked at a local food pantry 3 to 5 days a week. He was always out about doing things for people at church or for one of us kids. Fortunately my brother is retired & physically able to takeout parents (& both their wheelchairs ) wherever they need to go. I do a lot of shopping for them. We're all going to Ruby Tuesday's for Father's Day tomorrow. 9 people, 3 wheelchairs. It's going to be a tight fit. Lol

I've got a lot of appreciation for rehab workers. Both of my parents have been in and out of rehab a couple of times with knee replacements in the last 5 years. Last July 19 Dad had his second replacement on his right knee. Things seemed to heal OK until he spiked a high fever the first of September. Turns out hehad resistant staph in that knee. They had to remove the replacement and put in spacers. After lots of antibiotics and a couple weeks in hospital he was moved to a rehab facility. When insurance ran out they stepped him up level of care & moved him to a different facility. He finally got the OK to get the knee back in & then spent 3 weeks in rehab post surgery. He came home right before Christmas. He still gets visiting therapists every week. He has to go for water therapy now. He's not getting strength back and is starting to lose in the other leg. Not being able to get out and do things on his own is driving him nuts. He's 85 yo & up to the infection he worked at a local food pantry 3 to 5 days a week. He was always out about doing things for people at church or for one of us kids. Fortunately my brother is retired & physically able to takeout parents (& both their wheelchairs ) wherever they need to go. I do a lot of shopping for them. We're all going to Ruby Tuesday's for Father's Day tomorrow. 9 people, 3 wheelchairs. It's going to be a tight fit. Lol

Most of the time when we get patients it is because of an infection. Time to see if they will let him work at the food pantry from a wheelchair or using a walker. Give him some incentive to get back into it.:)

Father´s Day 2012: Bruce Springsteen Concert Tonite

Buon Giorno,

Though we have been celebrating Father´s Day on March 19th for years, the Gals always send a special gift to us for the USA holiday ... Tonight we are going to Bruce Springsteen´s Concert, as he has always been one of our faves ... He is truly a cool performer and great dude ...

Happy Father´s Day.
Margi.

Buon Giorno,

Though we have been celebrating Father´s Day on March 19th for years, the Gals always send a special gift to us for the USA holiday ... Tonight we are going to Bruce Springsteen´s Concert, as he has always been one of our faves ... He is truly a cool performer and great dude ...

Happy Father´s Day.
Margi.
Have a great time.

Yes, The Boss is a cool dude. I've been a fan of his since the late '70s

Back
Top Bottom