What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was going to walk to the end of the street and see if I could see any fireworks they have going on out at the fairgrounds, but couldn't get past the front porch and the beautiful sunset this evening. :wub: So I took a few pics and just came in and uploaded a few. Better than fireworks. :)

img_1157205_0_3e18dcf05e3d8bd339a72ba959e9deea.jpg

I was going to walk to the end of the street and see if I could see any fireworks they have going on out at the fairgrounds, but couldn't get past the front porch and the beautiful sunset this evening. :wub: So I took a few pics and just came in and uploaded a few. Better than fireworks. :)

Very nice, thanks for sharing.

I barely woke up during the Mall Fireworks show, but at about 12:30 there was a very loud one just outside that woke me for about an hour. Headed into work early so I can take Shrek to his appointment later this morning.

Thanks, Addie! It actually is my birthday today. I spent the day with my parents. Took them (& 2 wheelchairs & a walker) to see "Brave" then to Olive Garden for lunch. By the time we got home we were stuffed & ready for a nap. An evening of TV fireworks, a little reading, then I'll be off to bed. Hope everyone stayed cool today (warm for you, Kylie). :grin:
Happy Birthday Cindercat!!

We had a 4th of july party at our house yesterday. We had it mostly outside & it was incredibly hot, 107F, but there was always a nice breeze once in awhile. Good food, good friends made to be a greatr afternoon. Drove down to fairgrounds to see the fireworks later.

i'm trying to motivate myself into going out in this 95 degree heat and do some gardening and clean the pool.

dw went to a friend's house with the boy for the afternoon, so i have the rest of the day to myself. i could just realx, but it's july already and i've yet to get the cuke trellis built and the cuke seedlings in the ground, as well as get all of the herbs into the raised herb bed.

does work ever end?

i'm trying to motivate myself into going out in this 95 degree heat and do some gardening and clean the pool.

dw went to a friend's house with the boy for the afternoon, so i have the rest of the day to myself. i could just realx, but it's july already and i've yet to get the cuke trellis built and the cuke seedlings in the ground, as well as get all of the herbs into the raised herb bed.

does work ever end?

A man's work is from sun to sun. A woman's work is never done. ;)

it must be nice to be able to grow your own pineapple, tl. doesn't it take a pretty long time (or so i've heard)?

Yesterday I put the top inch of the fruit with the spikey crown into a pot of dirt, covered the fruit part with soil, so here goes -- that last one was just the top from a grocery-store pineapple and took several years. It's really not worth the effort, just the novelty of it. Dawgluver's mention (thank you, Dawg) of her friend in Mexico who grows them was encouraging.

I had a couple of coconut palms in my previous yard. They produced coconuts, which was also a novelty to me, but the effort to get the coconut out! I used a meat cleaver with a cement patio underneath - it's a wonder I didn't chop something off besides the coconut husk - to get at that $1.50 little nut. :wacko:

I'm in the house cooling off after some yard work and hoping for a rain shower.

Last edited by a moderator:
...I had a couple of coconut palms in my previous yard. They produced coconuts, which was also a novelty to me, but the effort to get the coconut out! I used a meat cleaver with a cement patio underneath - it's a wonder I didn't chop something off besides the coconut husk - to get at that $1.50 little nut...

In Aruba last winter, our grand kids gathered up a couple of coconuts. A worker doing some landscaping with a machete peeled back the outer husk and the inner nut so they could drink the coconut water. It was a big hit.

In Aruba last winter, our grand kids gathered up a couple of coconuts. A worker doing some landscaping with a machete peeled back the outer husk and the inner nut so they could drink the coconut water. It was a big hit.

I've seen pictures of those guys who brazenly hold the green coconut in one hand and whack the top of the coconut off with a machete. Crikey! Surely that's impossible when the husk is brown and toughened up.

I wonder if there is coconut meat inside at that "young" stage.

oops, i think we have some quotation issues.

i've always been amazed at the guys in tropical climes that open a coconut on a simple metal spike stuck in the ground. they impale it on the spike, twist, do it again, twist, and the husk peels away. easy peasy. :huh:

Last edited:
Owwwww! Sciatica is killing me! Woke up with severe pain in the middle of the night. Can't find a comfortable position laying down. Sitting intensifies the pain & adds a touch of nausea. Walking or bending over the sink helps with the pain a little so I've been doing that occasionally. Ibuprofen, Biofreeze, ice pack, pelvic exercises, 2 sessions with my Tens unit - none gave any significant relief. I finally remembered I had some Ultracet. That took the edge off but not enough that I can function. Simon the cat tries to make me feel better by smuggling up to me but I can't stay still very long. As I'm writing I felt a disk move a few minutes ago & the pain is letting up a bit. I still have to come up with an excuse not to go to Mom & Dad's for our Thursday night movie. I don't want them to know I hurt today because they'll feel guilty about me lugging the wheelchairs yesterday. I'll take some more Ultracet in an hour & maybe I'll be able to sleep & come up with an excuse later.

I've seen pictures of those guys who brazenly hold the green coconut in one hand and whack the top of the coconut off with a machete. Crikey! Surely that's impossible when the husk is brown and toughened up.

I wonder if there is coconut meat inside at that "young" stage.

The 'hairy' hard brown shell is inside the light green outer husk with fiberous material between.

Attachments

• index.jpg
    index.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 56
  • images.jpg
    images.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 50
  • indmmmmex.jpg
    indmmmmex.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
Nice graphics. Thanks, Andy M. The coconuts I had to work with were the ones that fell from the trees -- no way am I gonna shinny up a palm tree -- and had really tough brown outer husks. And the little hairy nut that was the prize was usually cracked by the time I got the husk off and all the water leaked onto the cement. The meat was good, but I shoulda left it to the pros. :)

I have been led to believe that people in places that grow coconuts call the hard white meat copra and don't eat that - it's dried up coconut meat. The fresh coconut meat is soft and can be scooped out of the shell with a spoon.

Owwwww! Sciatica is killing me! Woke up with severe pain in the middle of the night. Can't find a comfortable position laying down. Sitting intensifies the pain & adds a touch of nausea. Walking or bending over the sink helps with the pain a little so I've been doing that occasionally.
Cindercat, I know exactly how you feel. I get Sciatica on both sides (thankfully never both at once). I still think that the pain I have now is sciatica but the doctors say no...they just don't know what it is. But I have all the same symptoms you mentioned and that I have previously had.

Take care, and I am sure your parents will understand if you just tell them you are a bit tired and sore. I will be thinking of you!

ok, got the herbs done.

i now have rosemary, sage, pineapple sage, italian flat leaf parsley, english thyme, lemon thyme, greek oregano, garlc chives, and sweet basil.

the cukes will have to wait. i'm tired. time to rinse ofc the dirt and pass out in the pool.

Picked up a beef roast at the grocery store, put it on the grill to sear it off, put a few baked potatoes in with some corn on the cob. Picked up a srawberry/ruhbarb pie with some lemon/berry sherbet for dessert. The neighbors lost their AC this week so plans to invite them over too.

Not a good night last night

At about 9pm Steve started getting those really bad pains in his stomach again. After a couple of hours of walking around the house, we propped up on the recliners with a quilt, tried everything but his pain got worse, so off we went to the hospital again

We got there at about 12.30am and luckily only had to wait about 30 minutes as Steve was in really bad pain, I felt so bad for him

They were doing all these tests and they gave him 2 shots of Morphine to try to settle the pain.

The doctor and the nurse both said he should of had this looked at since he has had it happen so many times, I did tell them I tried to get Steve to go and have an endoscopy.

This time, we will be finding out exactly what is wrong!

The nurse said he will be at the hospital all night so I left the hospital at about 2.30am this morning.

I did not go until I could see the morphine working and he was drifting in and out of sleep.

I came home and managed to get about 2.5 hours sleep. I then went back this morning and stayed there for about 1.5 hours but have come home again.

Steve is drifting in and out of sleep and I was just basically sitting there in the dark falling asleep on the chair, so we thought it best I come home and wait for a phone call.

I just had to see him again first thing this morning.

They gave him more morphine overnight and his pain has gone from a 9 to a 3 out of 10 Steve says. He is still feeling pain and discomfort and they have offered him more morphine when I was there this morning but he preferred not to take it as it makes him feel really numb and awful.

He has had some urine tests, some blood tests and he has been fasting.

When I got there this morning, he was still waiting on an ultrasound.

At least this time they will hopefully get to the bottom of this and work out what the problem is. They are at least doing x rays and ultrasounds this time, which is great! It is free too since it is a public hospital

The doctor has said it could be anything, even could be gallstones or an ulcer, of which I told Steve ages ago, could be the issue

I feel like a zombie, dying for some sleep :LOL:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom