What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh Sweetie, how awful! Hoping for some relief, good news, and sleep for you!

Last edited:
Oh no, Kylie.....thoughts and prayers going out for you both. Be sure to keep us informed when you're able. Hugs to you.

it must be nice to be able to grow your own pineapple, tl. doesn't it take a pretty long time (or so i've heard)?

Yesterday I put the top inch of the fruit with the spikey crown into a pot of dirt, covered the fruit part with soil, so here goes -- that last one was just the top from a grocery-store pineapple and took several years. It's really not worth the effort, just the novelty of it. Dawgluver's mention (thank you, Dawg) of her friend in Mexico who grows them was encouraging.

I had a couple of coconut palms in my previous yard. They produced coconuts, which was also a novelty to me, but the effort to get the coconut out! I used a meat cleaver with a cement patio underneath - it's a wonder I didn't chop something off besides the coconut husk - to get at that $1.50 little nut. :wacko:

I'm in the house cooling off after some yard work and hoping for a rain shower.

For coconuts, I use a large clean nail and hammer to pierce a couple of holes in the top, pour off the milk (to drink) and use the hammer to gently (!) crack the shell so I can get the meat out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not a good night last night

At about 9pm Steve started getting those really bad pains in his stomach again. After a couple of hours of walking around the house, we propped up on the recliners with a quilt, tried everything but his pain got worse, so off we went to the hospital again

We got there at about 12.30am and luckily only had to wait about 30 minutes as Steve was in really bad pain, I felt so bad for him

They were doing all these tests and they gave him 2 shots of Morphine to try to settle the pain.

The doctor and the nurse both said he should of had this looked at since he has had it happen so many times, I did tell them I tried to get Steve to go and have an endoscopy.

This time, we will be finding out exactly what is wrong!

The nurse said he will be at the hospital all night so I left the hospital at about 2.30am this morning.

I did not go until I could see the morphine working and he was drifting in and out of sleep.

I came home and managed to get about 2.5 hours sleep. I then went back this morning and stayed there for about 1.5 hours but have come home again.

Steve is drifting in and out of sleep and I was just basically sitting there in the dark falling asleep on the chair, so we thought it best I come home and wait for a phone call.

I just had to see him again first thing this morning.

They gave him more morphine overnight and his pain has gone from a 9 to a 3 out of 10 Steve says. He is still feeling pain and discomfort and they have offered him more morphine when I was there this morning but he preferred not to take it as it makes him feel really numb and awful.

He has had some urine tests, some blood tests and he has been fasting.

When I got there this morning, he was still waiting on an ultrasound.

At least this time they will hopefully get to the bottom of this and work out what the problem is. They are at least doing x rays and ultrasounds this time, which is great! It is free too since it is a public hospital

The doctor has said it could be anything, even could be gallstones or an ulcer, of which I told Steve ages ago, could be the issue

I feel like a zombie, dying for some sleep :LOL:
Hope & pray the doctors can get to the bottom of steve's issues. Just remember to take care of yourself too. Do not run yourself down as it will begin to compromise your health. Take care!

Kylie, I'm glad you got him to the hospital. They'll take good care of him.

Make sure you take care of yourself as well. You need your strength.

Thank you so much for your lovely words and thoughts guys :)

I went and collected Steve from the hospital at about 11am. I called the hospital and they let me talk to Steve, he told me I could come at about 11am

Steve has to have his gall bladder removed :ohmy:

The ultrasound revealed that he has heaps of gallstones in his gall bladder so the doctor thought it best and easier to remove the whole thing

We have to cut out on a lot of fried or deep fried foods too...which doesn't bother me as we never used to deep fry foods till we bought our deep fryer....so back to oven chips for us ;)

We stopped off at the chemist and I got some tablets that the doctor suggested Steve have if he gets the pain again before his operation, which will be day surgery we think, it is Outpatient.

The hospital will be phoning us with a day and date.

So Steve is home now and we are just relaxing and having some lunch, then I think a little nap for the both of us later

Thanks again everyone :heart:

Oh, Kylie, you just knew it was something like that! Thankful that Steve got the right diagnosis, you get him back, and the pain will soon be gone. Please keep us posted!

Thank you DL :)

Yes we are so pleased that we now know what it is as he had these pains about 4 or 5 times in just over a year, I knew something wasn't right :rolleyes:

Steve will have to take a week off work apparently after the operation to recover, I will have to be Nurse Kylie :cool:

Thank you so much for your lovely words and thoughts guys :)

I went and collected Steve from the hospital at about 11am. I called the hospital and they let me talk to Steve, he told me I could come at about 11am

Steve has to have his gall bladder removed :ohmy:

The ultrasound revealed that he has heaps of gallstones in his gall bladder so the doctor thought it best and easier to remove the whole thing

We have to cut out on a lot of fried or deep fried foods too...which doesn't bother me as we never used to deep fry foods till we bought our deep fryer....so back to oven chips for us ;)

We stopped off at the chemist and I got some tablets that the doctor suggested Steve have if he gets the pain again before his operation, which will be day surgery we think, it is Outpatient.

The hospital will be phoning us with a day and date.

So Steve is home now and we are just relaxing and having some lunch, then I think a little nap for the both of us later

Thanks again everyone :heart:

I'm glad things have worked out, the worst part is not knowing. Take care, both of you!

steve will have no gaul bladder?

that's horrible. now he can't eat ancient french food...

(sorry about the history joke, but i hope a bunch of university nerds are snickering.... alone.)

For coconuts, I use a large clean nail and hammer to pierce a couple of holes in the top, pour off the milk (to drink) and use the hammer to gently (!) crack the shell so I can get the meat out.

Heat the coconut in the oven. It forces the meat of the nut away from the husk and is easier to remove. Just make sure you have punched those holes in the top or the nut may explode. :)

We had a nap on the recliners this afternoon, all rugged up, it was nice, although I thin it has made us even more tired now :rolleyes:

Early night for us I think, I am sure we wil be feel refreshed and a lot better in the morning :)

Hope everyone is having a lovely day/night

I am in a quandry. Son #3 is out of state at a conference and is flying home today. When he lands, hewill be coming here to pick up the paddle and bowl for his wife's KA. The problem is I don't know what time and I am supposed to go into Boston for preop blood work. I am going to cancel and set it up for Monday or later today down at the health clinic here in Eastie. It all depends what time he arrives. And I have no way of contacting him. This really screws up my day and plans. :ohmy:

Leave the bowl and paddle on the counter with a note telling him you are sorry you missed him, but you had a better offer with a guy with more money, so you have run off for the blood test...

I have been led to believe that people in places that grow coconuts call the hard white meat copra and don't eat that - it's dried up coconut meat.

Seems like I recall a movie referring to 1700's European ships returning from the tropics carrying a cargo of breadfruit trees and copra - maybe Mutiny on the Bounty. I'll have to check with Capt. Bligh.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom