What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yesterday I went to the library where I saw the Bloodmobile bus parked in the lot. On impulse I went in and donated blood. The nice lady said there's no age limit, and all went well until afterwards when I walked to the library a few yards away. Boy. Suddenly I felt the stuffin' knocked out of me. Dizzy, sweating profusely. I found a place to sit in the nice, cool library and after about 30 minutes felt able to drive home. Glad I didn't try immediately or I might have come a cropper. It was hot and humid yesterday and will be today, so I'm going to just sit around and fill back up with lots of water.

Dawgluver said:
My dad had dozens of hummers when he lived in Arizona. He would just mix up sugar and water, no boiling, and pour it in the feeders. I do NOT recommend doing that! His feeders were all black with mold, and I don't think it was good for the hummers!

My dad just mixes sugar & water without boiling. The birds empty his feeders every day so the food doesn't have time to sour & he cleans the feeders regularly. The birds get mad at him while he does but they stay healthy. At the beginning of the season he starts with just one partially filled feeder and adds as the birds show up. It doesn't take long to get to his limit of 5 feeders. I'll have to watch his birds again. I know he has the red-throated hummers & the green ones (I don't know names of varieties of hummingbirds. ) I can't remember the third kind but remember Mom & Dad talking about that there were 3 kinds.

I am sitting at the dining table with my DH, leisurely sipping a cup of tea and discussing the plans for the day.

We are officially on holidays for 11 days!:clap:

This is the first paid vacation my wonderful hubby has ever had in his life! He was a computer programming instructor and owned his own businesses, as well as doing casual jobs, but of course none of those accrued vacation. :)

We have no plans except to relax and enjoy. We may take a ferry to the Sunshine Coast next weekend or go camping but nothing for sure.

Last edited:
tinlizzie said:
Yesterday I went to the library where I saw the Bloodmobile bus parked in the lot. On impulse I went in and donated blood. The nice lady said there's no age limit, and all went well until afterwards when I walked to the library a few yards away. Boy. Suddenly I felt the stuffin' knocked out of me. Dizzy, sweating profusely. I found a place to sit in the nice, cool library and after about 30 minutes felt able to drive home. Glad I didn't try immediately or I might have come a cropper. It was hot and humid yesterday and will be today, so I'm going to just sit around and fill back up with lots of water.

If you donated blood often your body would probably get used to the blood volume fluctuation, but since you're not used to it I'm not surprised you got dizzy. Good for you for donating!! I hate needles, and I think you have to be at least 120 lb (is that right?) so I can't donate. I don't even know my blood type. My aunt is O- so she donates as often as they let her.

If you donated blood often your body would probably get used to the blood volume fluctuation, but since you're not used to it I'm not surprised you got dizzy. Good for you for donating!! I hate needles, and I think you have to be at least 120 lb (is that right?) so I can't donate. I don't even know my blood type. My aunt is O- so she donates as often as they let her.
Skittle is right, Lizzie. I am surprised they didn't make you stay longer and give you some juice and a cookie. I know that used to be standard practice here in Canada.

I started giving at age 17 (the minimum) and gave every three months. I was also considered a "universal donor" so when I worked in the city I was put on a list and was called in on about 3 separate times when they needed blood for a specific patient. That felt really good.

I got a 50 donations pin and was very proud that I could give until the restrictions were beefed up. I was fine for the first few years of this, but then was put on some medication (which I need for life) that disqualified me. That was in my early thirties and I haven't been able to donate since.

When my Dad needed blood my sister donated but I couldn't. But I guess I gave to him in other ways.

Anyway, I digress. Lizzie, thank you for caring enough to give. You will find if you continue it will get easier. Maybe if they don't have anything for you to have after, you should take a small snack yourself.

LPBeier said:
Skittle is right, Lizzie. I am surprised they didn't make you stay longer and give you some juice and a cookie. I know that used to be standard practice here in Canada.

I started giving at age 17 (the minimum) and gave every three months. I was also considered a "universal donor" so when I worked in the city I was put on a list and was called in on about 3 separate times when they needed blood for a specific patient. That felt really good.

I got a 50 donations pin and was very proud that I could give until the restrictions were beefed up. I was fine for the first few years of this, but then was put on some medication (which I need for life) that disqualified me. That was in my early thirties and I haven't been able to donate since.

When my Dad needed blood my sister donated but I couldn't. But I guess I gave to him in other ways.

Anyway, I digress. Lizzie, thank you for caring enough to give. You will find if you continue it will get easier. Maybe if they don't have anything for you to have after, you should take a small snack yourself.

I agree, the snack after is very important. I too give blood on a regular basis. They love my rare A- blood. They always have a wonderful brownie and cookies and crackers for me to choose from. And...always a choice of juice or water. They make me stay until I have had a little snack and sat for a bit, but I have never had any problems with being light headed. I also take a water bottle with me and drink it while donating. That may help. BTW, I don't know what the cookies or crackers they offer taste like because I have always had the brownie. :D

An aloe I planted last year has put out a flower stalk, which I didn't expect. Do they make usable seeds? How do you get sprouts -- I'd like to have some more plants. TIA.

Mine have never flowered. They send up suckers much like a lilac does. Mine propagate like bunnies! Could be you have a different type of aloe. I'll try and post a picture or two for you to show you what I mean. I suspect neglect will get your aloe to propagate. I am notorious for not watering things very often, so my african violets are my barometer for watering. If they wilt, I water everything! Seems to work with the plants I have left.

I was surprised by the no "juice and a cookie" too.

Sorry to mislead. They did give me o.j. & cookies --- just don't seem to have worked. Good cookies, too. The nice lady said I could give a "baby bag" next time if I liked. Maybe the smaller volume would do the trick.

I've always had great admiration for the regular donors. So many people give time after time without asking any return. So deserving of praise - like you, LP - belated kudos to you all. :flowers:

I'm an O negative, too. Could have caused some problems during having-baby times - can't even remember why now.

Mine have never flowered. They send up suckers much like a lilac does. Mine propagate like bunnies! Could be you have a different type of aloe. I'll try and post a picture or two for you to show you what I mean. I suspect neglect will get your aloe to propagate. I am notorious for not watering things very often, so my african violets are my barometer for watering. If they wilt, I water everything! Seems to work with the plants I have left.

Oh, I don't think mine would propogate like bunnies. They're right out there in the front yard where everyone can see.

tinlizzie said:
Sorry to mislead. They did give me o.j. & cookies --- just don't seem to have worked. Good cookies, too. The nice lady said I could give a "baby bag" next time if I liked. Maybe the smaller volume would do the trick.

I've always had great admiration for the regular donors. So many people give time after time without asking any return. So deserving of praise - like you, LP - belated kudos to you all. :flowers:

I'm an O negative, too. Could have caused some problems during having-baby times - can't even remember why now.

O- can be given to every other blood type, but can only receive O- so if they don't have any on hand and you need it, you're in trouble. O+ can be given to all the positive blood types, but can only receive O- or O+. Anyway, that's probably why they said it could be a problem.

O- can be given to every other blood type, but can only receive O- so if they don't have any on hand and you need it, you're in trouble. O+ can be given to all the positive blood types, but can only receive O- or O+. Anyway, that's probably why they said it could be a problem.

Aside from my obvious health problems, I have never been able to donate blood. I have perfectly round red blood cells. As a result, they have a problem rounding corners as the blood flows. I have known for years about the round blood cells. Just didn't know what the reason and problem was. But I have had more than my share of blood transfusions. First one when I was born. I have always been anemic and needed to get new blood every so often. Still do. I don't tolerate iron very well. :(

Sitting here relaxing after shopping and figuring out meals to make with the food I bought. Decisions, decisions...

Even though I had plenty of food on hand I still bought another $111 more - and I live alone!

Just got back from the pool, no rugrats (yay!), and it was a refreshing 86° outside after all the miserable heat!

I cut up a watermelon, blended up some, plan to dehydrate a bunch as Fluffy Angel suggested.

Last edited:
Sitting here relaxing after shopping and figuring out meals to make with the food I bought. Decisions, decisions...

Even though I had plenty of food on hand I still bought another $111 more - and I live alone!

I hope some of that was stocking up. :)

Its the RH factor (the negative bit) that is the problem when you have babies. Usually not an issue with the first baby, but if there is any blood transfer (and there often is during birth) then the Mom's body produces antibodies against the positive factor and subsequent pregnancies can be spontaneously aborted. They usually give you gammaglobulin or something about week 30 and then immediately after giving birth to avoid that issue. Its only a problem if your DH is positive though. If you're both negative then its all hunky dory.

I'm O- too so I had the full gamut of blood tests and stuff when giving birth.

It's only a problem if the baby isn't Rh-, and then it's a problem with the next Rh+ child, not the first one. If both parents are Rh-, the baby will be too. The baby might be Rh- even if one or both parents are Rh+.

Good morning everyone :)

I had a lovely sleep in this morning!

Steve and I are going for a walk later this morning and a relaxing afternoon in later :)

Back
Top Bottom