What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ouch, sorry to hear about your pinched sciatic nerve, msmofet!...do you know of anything which gives relief, or helps heal it? I have a neighbour with the same thing this week. Hope it's not contagious....

Sitting here with a PITA literally. I have had a pinched sciatic for a week+.
Hoping I can get some help making a chocolate pound cake.

Oh, Ms M, I really feel for you. I have had scatica problems for years. Not fun at all. Wish I was close and would happily make your pound cake! :)

Thank you so much

My sciatica is caused by my shoes. I started wearing the Sketchers Tone-Ups, no more sciatica.

I can always tell when I'm wearing the wrong shoes for my activity. A lower heel than the front of the shoe is better, at least for me.

My sciatica is caused by my shoes. I started wearing the Sketchers Tone-Ups, no more sciatica.

I can always tell when I'm wearing the wrong shoes for my activity. A lower heel than the front of the shoe is better, at least for me.
My sciatica is triggered by repetitive motion. When I was apprenticing at a catering company my main job was the sandwich station. At the beginning and end of my day I had to make sure all the meat and cheese were stocked up and this could mean being at the old and stiff meat slicer for at least an hour at a time. Then I would be doing my sandwich orders which would start coming in at 9 am and would need to be done before 12. We did them assembly line style and so more repetitive action involving the back (leaning over and lifting up). Now, anything I do regularly can trigger it on either side.

My sciatica is triggered by repetitive motion. When I was apprenticing at a catering company my main job was the sandwich station. At the beginning and end of my day I had to make sure all the meat and cheese were stocked up and this could mean being at the old and stiff meat slicer for at least an hour at a time. Then I would be doing my sandwich orders which would start coming in at 9 am and would need to be done before 12. We did them assembly line style and so more repetitive action involving the back (leaning over and lifting up). Now, anything I do regularly can trigger it on either side.

36 years of standing on concrete...now that I have a mostly desk job I can switch out shoes a bit more often for variety. But, if I was back on the floor, passing medications, I would have to wear the right shoes every day.

Got up, made brekkie in bed for my honey, had a bath and now I'm ready to head to a yoga class to deal with my ouchie back. I didn't get there a couple of days ago and I think my body is in rebellion!

When I get home I think I'll pop over to a friends house to see how her new kitchen looks. Then I'm going to laze about the house and pretend there are no chores beckoning me! ;)

36 years of standing on concrete...now that I have a mostly desk job I can switch out shoes a bit more often for variety. But, if I was back on the floor, passing medications, I would have to wear the right shoes every day.

Yes, this was on concrete as well. And I really needed new work shoes. The doctor said also that 25 years of working in an office and wearing 3" heels didn't help either! Now it is flats with orthotics.:ermm::LOL:

I am getting ready to meet my best friend at a local tea room for morning tea and crumpets! We love the place because we can just go and gab and the atmosphere is great with old teapots and cups! I really need this!

I am getting ready to meet my best friend at a local tea room for morning tea and crumpets! We love the place because we can just go and gab and the atmosphere is great with old teapots and cups! I really need this!

I wish there was a place like that around here. Have fun!

PrincessFiona60 said:
...and index cards...especially for Medical Terminology...they make perfect study materials, flash cards.

I have a French press, and a large double wall insulated cup :) I'll need it!! My classes start at 6:30 am. Never been a big highlighter user. I've never gotten the concept of highlighting the important stuff. Isn't it all important?? Also, I did some medical terminology back when I took my nurse's assistant course, so hopefully at least some of it will be review, and I have a flash card app on my phone. It has thousands of pre-loaded flash card sets that you can download and edit to make sure they are correct and have everything you need. Although again, writing stuff down helps me memorize, so I might go back to the home made cards. We shall see. I have 14 credits from doing college classes in high school, which miraculously all count toward the prerequisites I need for the ultrasound program. AND I even got A's in those classes, which is just perfect. They only take 12 people a year into the program, so it's very competitive. You get points for your grade point average, 2 points for a nursing assistant class, 3 points for an AA degree, etc. If I get 4.0's in the rest of the prerequisites I have a chance of being accepted, but if I don't, it should only take one more semester to get my AA, and then I will apply again. I can look at how many points I have on the scale, and know exactly what I need to do to be more competitive. It's going to be a challenge keeping my grades that high and working at the same time. That's the part that makes me nervous I think :) if I can't get A's in all my classes I pretty much screw myself. Another thing to be nervous about is that my physics class from high school expires in two years. So if I don't get in, and that one expires I'll have to take it again before I apply again. If I can get my AA by taking summer classes I just might to make sure I get in the first try... That would take away the issue with my physics class.

Last edited:
Wow, Skittle, you go girl!

I pureed a seedless watermelon. DH usually doesn't care for WM, but loves the juice. Go figure. Other than that, I'm being extremely lazy.

Last edited:
Dawgluver said:
Wow, Skittle, you go girl!

I pureed a seedless watermelon. DH usually doesn't care for WM, but loves the juice. Go figure. Other than that, I'm being extremely lazy.

Huh, I'm not a fan of watermelon either, but I like the flavor. Go figure...

I have a French press, and a large double wall insulated cup :) I'll need it!! My classes start at 6:30 am. Never been a big highlighter user. I've never gotten the concept of highlighting the important stuff. Isn't it all important?? Also, I did some medical terminology back when I took my nurse's assistant course, so hopefully at least some of it will be review, and I have a flash card app on my phone. It has thousands of pre-loaded flash card sets that you can download and edit to make sure they are correct and have everything you need. Although again, writing stuff down helps me memorize, so I might go back to the home made cards.

That's why I suggested Index cards, it's the best way to keep that knowledge and once you learn the root words, you are able to understand other words you come across. I don't know Latin, but now I can at least get the gist of it by what I do know as root words.

LPBeier said:

Laurie, care to share where that tea room is? Would love to take a dear friend.

Trying to get Shrek moving so we can go shopping...he's been "showering" now for almost an hour...and he says I'm slow.:LOL::ROFLMAO:

That's why I suggested Index cards, it's the best way to keep that knowledge and once you learn the root words, you are able to understand other words you come across. I don't know Latin, but now I can at least get the gist of it by what I do know as root words.

Same here. I took Latin in H.S. and can see the root word in so many words we use daily. And for medical knowledge, the root words are right there. Such as Derm. The Latin word Derma means skin. Index cards are a great way to remember. Keep them in alphabetical order, and you will find yourself going back to them often. :)

Sliced up a bunch of cukes. I had to taste a slice of each cuke individually before I put it in the FP, as we've had some really bitter ones due to the heat. Didn't matter the size, large or small had equal chance of being bitter. What a nasty taste! Was able to salvage 2/3rds of them. They're salted and ready to be rinsed and drained, I may do pickles or just freeze them as is.

Cut up a bunch of tomatoes, will make some salsa cruda.

Ordered some jeans for DH and me from Eddie Bauer, buy one, get one half price, free shipping, free returns, and a Rewards coupon. Can't get better than this!

Good morning everyone :)

This morning we are heading out to Bunnings, which is a hardware/garden store over here...need to get a few bits and pieces :)

Then we are going to the supermarket to get some nice crusty french sticks to make garlic bread tonight

Laurie, care to share where that tea room is? Would love to take a dear friend.
Bunny It is Applewood Country Gifts and Tearoom in the heart of Delta/Surrey, probably easy for you to get to from the border. I hope you can bring your friend there sometime. You will love it. You can pop in or reserve a time for a real "afternoon tea" with sandwiches and goodies. We just had tea and scones!

Maybe some other time you can come and meet ME there. :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom