What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Not just luck. Statistically, someone with a happy marriage who gets widowed (male or female) is very likely to remarry and remarry into a happy marriage. :)

I like your statistics taxlady. However it turned out, I have been blessed beyond measure...twice! I hope I have 32 years with Glenn. We only have 29 more years to go.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

We'll definitely be old farts by then, but we already have matching rocking chairs.

It will be 3 years for us. I was a widow before Glenn and I got married.

Before that, I was married to Buck, also a DC member, for 32 years before he died suddenly in 2008. He was awesome and so is Glenn, so I've been a lucky lady twice in a row.
That you are Katie, one lucky lady. I'm so happy for the two of you. May you have many more happy years together. I know how special the years can be. hugs to both of you.
Enjoy that special day.
cj

I'm making beef stock, using Julia Child's instructions. I roasted the bones and meat and vegis in the oven and now the house is too warm. Stock is on the stove in my new stockpot with the insert. I'm making it this late at night because I got the urge.

I defrosted the stuff in my "for beef stock" bag. I like the new microwave's "Inverter Turbo Defrost". I tell how much the thing I want to defrost weighs, and then it figures out how long and at what power level to defrost it. It's much more along the lines of what I was hoping for with my first microwave: a way to turn rocks from the freezer into food. :LOL:

My daughtere bought me a new zapper a couple of years ago. It has all those nice little extras. The problem is that I still can't figure out how to use them. And the booklet is of no help. I use it mostly for heating up. I have made popcorn in it. All I have to do for that is press the popcorn one. :angel:

Good afternoon everyone. Last night Son #3 and i exchanged some long emails. I found a picture of a panoramic view of the Boston skyline at night. My daughter saw it years ago and never saw it again. She had fallen in love with it. So I sent it to my son and asked him if he could print it out on legal paper and then send it to me. I wanted to take it to Kinko or Copycat to have it enlarged, mounted and framed as a present for my daughter. Her wedding anniversary is this month. My son said he would take care of it for me.

Then we got into a long conversation of how I was handling my daughter's health problems. We both came to the conclusion that I cannot do this alone. So I am going to speak to my social worker at Winthrop and see where I can go from here. Some days I am good and then there are days when just wiping down a counter is too much effort. That is so not me. I don't get depressed. I get angry and fight back. Only this time there is nothing to fight back at. It is not like I can go scream at the doctors to fix this problem right now!!! My child is sick and I can't help her. I can't even give her an aspirin. She is 5'8" tall and I am only 4'8" tall. I no longer can hold her on my lap and tell her she will be all right. So I have to get some help in dealing with all of this.

This is one of the problems of the elderly when they live alone. I so understand what babetoo is going through. But I will come out of this. My biggest problem and help is that I have too much medical knowledge.

I received some news Saturday night from my girlfriend in Atlanta. Her ex husband was diagnosed last year with a type of cancer that that the survival rate is even less than that of my daughter's cancer. He came up to Boston, they made up the recipe for his chemo and sent him back to Atlanta for his doctors there to administer it. Then in August he came back up here for his radiation treatment. He was half way through it, when he hit a couple of hiccups. He had to have three emergency surgeries. So once he recovered from all of that, they took another look at his tumor. When he came up in August it was the size of a golf ball. They took another look after the surgeries and it is now the size of a small pea. In the words of his doctors, "Let's kill this baby once and for all." They started the radiation from the beginning. He has beaten all the odds. I wouldn't have given you two cents for his survival. So if he can beat his cancer that has less survival rate than my daughter, there is hope. They both oddly enough have the same team of doctors at Massachusetts General Hospital. :angel:

Last edited:
My thoughts and prayers are with you Addie. Nothing worse than the feeling of not being able to help your child.
I almost lost my son 3 years ago when he got a bad hernia in his groin. They did the surgery just in time. Thank God he is ok now but it was the worst thing I've ever been through. There is always hope. Just be strong and believe she'll be ok.

That is wonderful Katie :)

You sound as happy with your Glenn as I am with my Steve :)

I am so glad you both have such happy marriages. Katie, I remember Buck so well and your relationship with him so when you got so "giddy" about this new man in your life I was both happy and wary... Will he treat her okay? Will she find the happiness she had and deserves again? As you talked about Glenn I knew everything was better than okay! :)

TB (my new name for my DH because he doesn't want his name public and I have been LP all my life and he is a TB by name and as in Teddy Bear :angel:) is my "reward" after a very wrong marriage. TB and I were friends, boss/bookkeeper and eventual business partners for 10 years (to the day) before we got married. We have had some really tough times through our 11 years of marriage but we have and continue to learn and grow from our mistakes. This one's a keeper! :wub:

Addie, I am thinking of you xxx

+1

It isn't just Mothers and their children. I sat by so many days during the last three years helpless as my Dad dealt with pain, delusions, loss of abilities, etc. It sure isn't easy. Addie, I hold the most respect for you (and babetoo) for fighting through. :flowers:

Good afternoon everyone. Last night Son #3 and i exchanged some long emails. I found a picture of a panoramic view of the Boston skyline at night. My daughter saw it years ago and never saw it again. She had fallen in love with it. So I sent it to my son and asked him if he could print it out on legal paper and then send it to me. I wanted to take it to Kinko or Copycat to have it enlarged, mounted and framed as a present for my daughter. Her wedding anniversary is this month. My son said he would take care of it for me.

Then we got into a long conversation of how I was handling my daughter's health problems. We both came to the conclusion that I cannot do this alone. So I am going to speak to my social worker at Winthrop and see where I can go from here. Some days I am good and then there are days when just wiping down a counter is too much effort. That is so not me. I don't get depressed. I get angry and fight back. Only this time there is nothing to fight back at. It is not like I can go scream at the doctors to fix this problem right now!!! My child is sick and I can't help her. I can't even give her an aspirin. She is 5'8" tall and I am only 4'8" tall. I no longer can hold her on my lap and tell her she will be all right. So I have to get some help in dealing with all of this.

This is one of the problems of the elderly when they live alone. I so understand what babetoo is going through. But I will come out of this. My biggest problem and help is that I have too much medical knowledge.

I received some news Saturday night from my girlfriend in Atlanta. Her ex husband was diagnosed last year with a type of cancer that that the survival rate is even less than that of my daughter's cancer. He came up to Boston, they made up the recipe for his chemo and sent him back to Atlanta for his doctors there to administer it. Then in August he came back up here for his radiation treatment. He was half way through it, when he hit a couple of hiccups. He had to have three emergency surgeries. So once he recovered from all of that, they took another look at his tumor. When he came up in August it was the size of a golf ball. They took another look after the surgeries and it is now the size of a small pea. In the words of his doctors, "Let's kill this baby once and for all." They started the radiation from the beginning. He has beaten all the odds. I wouldn't have given you two cents for his survival. So if he can beat his cancer that has less survival rate than my daughter, there is hope. They both oddly enough have the same team of doctors at Massachusetts General Hospital. :angel:
I bet that picture willbe a nice suprise for your daughter & she will really appreciate it. You sound like the best mom ever.

Keep the faith addie! Keep thinking positive that will help keep her up as well. I will be keeping you in my prayers. Take care.

Thank you to all of you. I have an appointment in Winthrop Thursday morning and I am going to set up some meetings with my social worker. I know I can't handle this all alone. This is one time when I don't have all the answers. Then in the afternoon I have an appointment for my pre op workup for my eye surgery. I need to be concentrating on that. This has been going on since March. :angel:

Thank you to all of you. I have an appointment in Winthrop Thursday morning and I am going to set up some meetings with my social worker. I know I can't handle this all alone. This is one time when I don't have all the answers. Then in the afternoon I have an appointment for my pre op workup for my eye surgery. I need to be concentrating on that. This has been going on since March. :angel:
Best of luck and good thoughts going your way.

Thinking of you! Loads of love and hugs xoxo

Had the car washed today. They got rid of all the leaves too. :)

Now I'm going to buy some baguette and onions for tonight's supper and potatoes for tomorrow's supper. Really went through that last bag of potatoes quickly

My thoughts are with you Addie!

Good morning/evening guys :)

The weather has changed and we have a lovely cool day today YAY!!

Have just got up, had a nice hot shower and ready to go grocery shopping soon.

Then we will be planting our little seedlings..it is raining at the moment, but that is fine...planting with some showers never hurt anyone :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom