What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have just done the most stupid thing I could possibly do. I just finished watching "Dark Victory" with Bette Davis and George Brent. I have seen it before and it is one of my all time favorite movies along with "Twelve Angry Men". Or at least it was. I couldn't change the channel. There weren't even any commercials. And it was uncut. What in heavens name was I thinking. Needless to say, I have allowed myself to get really upset all over again. If I bend over, will someone kick me all over the place? :angel::angel::angel:

Trust me, you don't want that gene!!! I'm totally OCD and it's soul distroying and very tiring! You can have my clean gene anytime :LOL:

People that look past perfection are lucky, I can't go to bed no matter how tired I am without my home being spotless :wacko:

I am a bit OCD on cleaning too Snip...I like everything to be just right and very clean

Trust me, you don't want that gene!!! I'm totally OCD and it's soul distroying and very tiring! You can have my clean gene anytime :LOL:

People that look past perfection are lucky, I can't go to bed no matter how tired I am without my home being spotless :wacko:
But, the Scandinavian gene for that isn't OCD. Maybe it would have kicked in if I had had any children. Looking past perfection isn't my problem. I just want my house clean enough that guests are comfortable.

I hope they appreciate all your hard work! :)
Well, they seemed to appreciate the financial reports. They really liked the layout and amount of information.

As to the cleaning, I doubt they noticed. But, I got all the cat hair off all the sitting surfaces. There weren't any dust bunnies tigers and the guy who took off his shoes at the door didn't get crumbs and whatnot stuck to his socks.

There was still a bunch of dirty crystal glasses next to the kitchen sink. I have been feeling too clumsy to wash crystal. I used to put it in the dishwasher, but one of my glasses broke in the dishwasher without hitting something else. I think the water sprays pretty hard.

no sorrys, snippers, your own rule: no saying sorry for being yourself. we love you just the way you are, snip. no matter how we may feel about it, we all still must play the hand we are dealt. some days we do it better than others. :)

Thank you V and Laurie and PF and Kades!! Was having a nasty day :LOL:
Just had pain from hell and was sweating and feeling severely irritated by everything. All better now :angel:

I'm not Scandinavian but +1!

I solved that problem when I moved here five years ago. It is a studio and even though I have one of the larger apartments, there is no room for company. So I have and still do tell folks that I have no chairs for anyone to sit on. They can visit and stay for tea or coffee, but the will have to stand. Actually I do have two folding chairs, and my youngest son bought me a lovely chair with a foot stool to sit in and do my sewing. But no one knows that except family. So I don't care if I don't do any cleaning today. And family doesn't care. There is always later or tomorrow. I am not out to impress anyone. :angel:

Addie, I love your attitude to life - you remind me of my paternal grandmother whom I adored. :)

After a full day of cooking, cleaning and visiting with our company yesterday, today will be a day of rest. I am very sore and feel a slight cold coming on so snuggling in my recliner under my blanket with a good book or the TV remote is the game plan. I have an important football game to watch! :)

We had a lovely extra-special Sunday breakfast, which I what I try to plan each Sunday.

After breakfast I made 6 dozen cookies and a dozen and a half cornmeal pan yeast rolls. I'm trying to stockpile stuff for Glenn to enjoy while I'm the in the hospital this week getting my right knee replaced. The rolls are in his top 5 of the bread-type goods I bake.

I scored a HUGE bulls eye with the cookies. Glenn has been talking about some cookies he used to eat at a lot of the elderly ladies' homes when he was a child. He's described them to me as best he can and, hooray, there was an article in the November issue of Southern Living magazine about what he remembered as "tea cakes."

Well, lo and behold, I made the cookies this morning and they were just as he remembered. Yeah, yeah, yeah! He said the 6 dozen might last him a couple of days.:LOL::ohmy:

At the moment, I'm sitting up with my knee elevated and trying to get my second wind so I can get some ironing done and bring my outside plants indoors. The temps are supposed to dip waaaay down while I'm in the hospital and I don't want any of them to suffer. I have a Wandering Jew, several peace lilies, a huge alovera, a massive schiffelera, three oxalis plants, and assorted other "babies." I have discovered places to winter all of them in the house.

Once those tasks are done and I make our evening meal, everything will be as done as I can make it. What things don't get finished aren't important.

I solved that problem when I moved here five years ago. It is a studio and even though I have one of the larger apartments, there is no room for company. So I have and still do tell folks that I have no chairs for anyone to sit on. They can visit and stay for tea or coffee, but the will have to stand. Actually I do have two folding chairs, and my youngest son bought me a lovely chair with a foot stool to sit in and do my sewing. But no one knows that except family. So I don't care if I don't do any cleaning today. And family doesn't care. There is always later or tomorrow. I am not out to impress anyone. :angel:
:angel:

I only want to impress myself and Stirling. For other people, clean enough to be comfortable, is good enough for me. I don't want them to be afraid to eat food at my house. I don't want to have to move a pile of junk, so they have somewhere to sit. I want them to be able to walk barefoot without having stuff stick to their feet or socks.

That would impress a lot of my friends, because they know what a mess my house usually looks like unless we are having a party. :ermm:

I have decided that as far as most cleaning goes, I will forget the adage, "If a job is worth doing, it's worth doing well." It's better to do a poor job of cleaning than not to do it. Okay, that doesn't go for dish washing or cleaning counters in the kitchen, but a crumby job of sweeping is better than no sweeping.

Addie, I love your attitude to life - you remind me of my paternal grandmother whom I adored. :)

After a full day of cooking, cleaning and visiting with our company yesterday, today will be a day of rest. I am very sore and feel a slight cold coming on so snuggling in my recliner under my blanket with a good book or the TV remote is the game plan. I have an important football game to watch! :)
See that you stay put and rest misssy. I plan to much the same it's cold here and I can't handle it. so warm jammies a blanket, wood stove and a game plus catalogues to peruse.
take care
ma

Katie, Yay! for tea cakes. That's wonderful that you found the right recipe.

Good vibes going in your direction for successful surgery and healing.

Katie, Yay! for tea cakes. That's wonderful that you found the right recipe.

Good vibes going in your direction for successful surgery and healing.

Thanks, taxlady. I INTEND to do well. Just the stubborn Irish in me.

As for the cookies, I'm over the moon. He's described them many, many times and each time he talked about them I saw a wonderful memory reflected in his face. I so wanted to find the right recipe. I am completely confident that there will be only crumbs left when I get home.

Good morning everyone :)

It has been so warm overnight, so sleeping was not the best :rolleyes:

This morning I have some grocery shopping to do

It is so nice and cool outside as the change has come through...have the house all opened up letting all the cool air through :)

:angel:

I only want to impress myself and Stirling. For other people, clean enough to be comfortable, is good enough for me. I don't want them to be afraid to eat food at my house. I don't want to have to move a pile of junk, so they have somewhere to sit. I want them to be able to walk barefoot without having stuff stick to their feet or socks.

That would impress a lot of my friends, because they know what a mess my house usually looks like unless we are having a party. :ermm:

I have decided that as far as most cleaning goes, I will forget the adage, "If a job is worth doing, it's worth doing well." It's better to do a poor job of cleaning than not to do it. Okay, that doesn't go for dish washing or cleaning counters in the kitchen, but a crumby job of sweeping is better than no sweeping.

Had a visitor once look in my oven and comment on the pots and pans I had not gotten to. I had put them there because she barely gave me notice she was coming over. She was sitting there with her friend on my sofa and I asked her sweetly if she planned on checking out my medicine cabinet, too. Her face turned red.

Advice to visitors, if a door is closed, leave it that way. In my house there are booby traps for people who poke their noses in.

Last edited:
Had a visitor once look in my oven and comment on the pots and pans I had not gotten to. I had put them there because she barely gave me notice she was coming over. She was sitting there with her friend on my sofa and I asked her sweetly if she planned on checking out my medicine cabinet, too. Her face turned red.

Advice to visitors, if a door is closed, leave it that way. In my house there are booby traps for people who poke their noses in.
Good for you. I can't imagine someone, other than a mother or MIL, doing that. I think it's incredibly rude. I consider the commenting more rude (unless the comment was something to the effect of "I do that to.") than the peeking.

On the other hand, I assume people will look in my medicine cabinet and in the cupboards in the bathroom, while the door is shut. They are welcome to look. I keep the spare toilet paper in the cupboard under the sink in the washroom. Most people figure that out.

Thank you LP. The only person responsible for my happiness is me. I don't understand folks who go through life with a miserable attitude. How unhappy they must be.

Right now I am a happy, happy person. :clap::clap:The skating season is here. My favorite sport to watch. I got interested in it when a 14 y.o. Dorothy Hamill broke down and cried because the audience was booing the judges score of the skater before her. She went on to win the Gold at the Olympics. I will make it a point to be home every weekend to watch it and follow American and Canadian skaters. Canada and England have given us some very strong competitors to go up against over the years. :angel:

We just got home from visiting some old friends this weekend. It was great to see them again. I ate & drank way off my eating plan, it all tasted so good but I am feeling pretty quilty. Tomorrow night we need to leave again to go to my aunts wake in Minnesota.

Thanks, taxlady. I INTEND to do well. Just the stubborn Irish in me.

As for the cookies, I'm over the moon. He's described them many, many times and each time he talked about them I saw a wonderful memory reflected in his face. I so wanted to find the right recipe. I am completely confident that there will be only crumbs left when I get home.

Were they Russian tea cakes, with ground almonds, covered with confectioner's sugar? I love those, too. DH doesn't like almonds, so I get to eat them all :mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom