What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Taking a quick break on the computor before I have to go back to the continual, dreaded baking.

Today at work we did up toiletry(soap, shampoo, combs, washcloths, bandaids, etc) backpacks with blankets, coats, hats and gloves for the local homeless shelter. They will be distributed on Thursday. It felt really good doing this.

This morning I am heading out to do the last lot of grocery shopping before Christmas...going to leave soon, get there nice and early to avoid the crowds ;)

I just did a mad dash shopping run. I went to Costco and got the meat for the party and some other stuff. I got some fabric napkins at Zellers to go with a table cloth I already have. I was going to buy another, identical table cloth, but they were out and Zellers is going out of biz, they have been sold to Target. I got a gorgeous, dark red table cloth at Sears with matching napkins. I had a heck of a time finding one in polyester. For most stuff I prefer natural fibres, but I don't want to care if my guests spill on the table cloth and the polyester ones I have used don't stain.

Then I dashed off to Benix and bought some crystal wine glasses 4 for $9.99 and 50% off of the second box, so $34.46, tax included, for 16 crystal glasses. w00t!

After that, it was a stop at the health food store for pita, potatoes, whipping cream, celery, garlic, scallions, lettuce, dried apricots. I accidentally got all purpose, unbleached white flour, when what I wanted was whole wheat, pastry flour. Phooey. I think I have enough pastry flour, but I wanted to make sure.

And now I'm pooped. I picked up a rotisserie chicken at Costco, 'cause I don't figure I'll have energy to cook supper tonight.

i do so enjoy a good, successful shopping story, with unexpected bargains and fortunate "finds". i know your 'dressed up' table will be looking prettily festive, taxy!:) and we already know that you have some very lovely dishes to choose from....:)

Just got back from the gym. I only had 45 minutes tonight, had to stop & get the piano teacher a gift, she collects angels. Tomorrow night the daughter & i have definite plans to finish Christmas shopping. Leaving soon to bring the daughter to piano lessons.

You have had a good day then Taxy ;)

The glasses were a good bargain :)

I just did a mad dash shopping run. I went to Costco and got the meat for the party and some other stuff. I got some fabric napkins at Zellers to go with a table cloth I already have. I was going to buy another, identical table cloth, but they were out and Zellers is going out of biz, they have been sold to Target. I got a gorgeous, dark red table cloth at Sears with matching napkins. I had a heck of a time finding one in polyester. For most stuff I prefer natural fibres, but I don't want to care if my guests spill on the table cloth and the polyester ones I have used don't stain.

Then I dashed off to Benix and bought some crystal wine glasses 4 for $9.99 and 50% off of the second box, so $34.46, tax included, for 16 crystal glasses. w00t!

After that, it was a stop at the health food store for pita, potatoes, whipping cream, celery, garlic, scallions, lettuce, dried apricots. I accidentally got all purpose, unbleached white flour, when what I wanted was whole wheat, pastry flour. Phooey. I think I have enough pastry flour, but I wanted to make sure.

And now I'm pooped. I picked up a rotisserie chicken at Costco, 'cause I don't figure I'll have energy to cook supper tonight.

I went to do the grocery shopping this morning, it was not busy at all, which is great...all done now, dont need to go near the shops till after Christmas YAY!!

The Steve and I will go to some after Christmas sales ;)

I lucked on two jars of Tahini (1 pound each) Regular price was $12 a jar, they were on clearance for $5 each. Then I had two jars...I don't eat it that fast, so gave a jar to a friend. She tried to pay me for it and I had to get grumpy with her.:)

Tahini is sesame seed butter, like peanut butter only made with sesame seeds. I use it to make hummus. This was a killer price for that much of it.

That's a great price. We go through a lot because TB loves hummus. I started making the tahini from scratch as well because of the cost and the great mini processor I have that makes quick work of it - great peanut butter too!

I am procrastinating here and on FB instead of folding laundry and getting back to my very frustrating crochet that I have to have done by Friday so I can pack it up to take to the Beier family Christmas on Saturday. :angel:

Zellers is going out of biz, they have been sold to Target.
I am going to miss Zellers, even though half the time they were out of stock on sale items. I liked that they were Canadian. Our store closed its doors 2 weeks ago. Three young women from our church lost their jobs.

I am going to miss Zellers, even though half the time they were out of stock on sale items. I liked that they were Canadian. Our store closed its doors 2 weeks ago. Three young women from our church lost their jobs.
I'll miss Zellers too. I just ignored their ads. Half the time out of stock? More like 80% of the time. :LOL: But, they had good enough prices that the sales weren't important.

Tahini is sesame seed butter, like peanut butter only made with sesame seeds. I use it to make hummus. This was a killer price for that much of it.

Tahini seems to get ugly if you don't use it fast enough, so I use some toasted sesame seeds and some sesame oil in my hummus. I mean, you only need a tablespoon or so of it, then you have a jar that turns into concrete. So I guess you could say that I make my own tahini (not really, I just toast sesame seeds, put in a little of the oil, and then blend it with the beans).

I usually don't bother making it, just adding seed, too. But I do use it often enough that this won't last. Of course I have to get the oil stirred down first.:) I'm going to use Addie's trick of turning it upside down for the day.

Can't believe its my last day off before Christmas! Sheesh! I didn't get anything accomplished in the last couple of days. Between having a sickie in the house, having to run to work to fix some paperwork, and having Ken home on holidays, I'm WAY behind on everything I need to finish before the big day.

I'm sitting on my butt right now, but today's list will need to include:
- gingerbread making
- shortbread baking
- maple cookie baking
- nuts and bolts toasting
- present wrapping
- decision making on the desserts for Christmas

Alix said:
Can't believe its my last day off before Christmas! Sheesh! I didn't get anything accomplished in the last couple of days. Between having a sickie in the house, having to run to work to fix some paperwork, and having Ken home on holidays, I'm WAY behind on everything I need to finish before the big day.

I'm sitting on my butt right now, but today's list will need to include:
- gingerbread making
- shortbread baking
- maple cookie baking
- nuts and bolts toasting
- present wrapping
- decision making on the desserts for Christmas

I'll be doing some of the same things if I hurry and get my butt into the shower. Add to that doing errands and cleaning the house for a party tomorrow night. Ahhhh!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom