What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
thanks, all. this call from the 'windows man' was my first time hearing a scam such as this over the phone. he must have been new at the game, because he had not gotten very far in the ten long minutes i stayed on the line. i was supposed to search google for www.showmy....which is when i recognized the 'show my pc now' prompts, as a way to connect to my computer.

if there is a next time, i will know to ask if they have my ip address. (btw, what is ip, a pin number?)

i do not have a cell phone, or caller id on my land line phone. i am basic everything--basic phone service, basic cable and basic network tv.

My pleasure :)
Don't worry about the calls, just don't give them any information!!!
Your IP pin is just like a password you use to access your IP address. If you want to prevent people from being able to hack your PC I would suggest you do the following.....

Clear your "cookies" and cache every time you log off the net.
Make sure all your ports are closed.
Update your antivirus.
All your passwords should consist of letters and numbers.
For ex. apple 49 but never obvious choices like your name followed by 123.

Today's been a rough one. It started with my flank pain doubling in intensity and my doctor telling me (later in the day) that until I get my renal ultrasound on Saturday there isn't much she can do (and I know she can't) so I should go to the hospital, which I won't.

Then TB's brother called to say he was stopping by (in the middle of his work day which caught us off guard). We were right to worry. He is in construction and a semi rear-ended his pick-up and moved it 25 feet! Thankfully my BIL had left the vehicle 10 minutes before or he would have been very hurt. He was on his way to the place where his truck was being towed to assess the damage. TB drove him there and took pictures. OUCH!

Then Joie got sick (Pets thread)

And on and on it went.

Now in the middle of this I sat in a big lump of pain cuddling my sick puppy and wondering what to do. So, I went for a walk. Mind you this walk was very short for most standards, just around ours and the next building, but I haven't done that in a long while and it got me outside for some air and light exercise.

So looking back on my day I am going to dwell on that one little positive thing I did - That's what I am doing! :)

Come on tomorrow, bring it on! :LOL:

Today was a good/crap day. Started off well. Caitlin phoned in for a TV breakfast show spelling contest this morning and won a school suitcase filled with beautiful stationary and everything else she needs for school and a voucher to spend at their shop.
I started feeling a bit bloated last night, weighed myself and again this morning. I gained 4 kgs overnight.
Then I went to buy milk and on my way home I gotten bitten by a dog. Blue leg, broken pants. The only pair that fits me right now. I'm not a happy camper!

Last edited:
thanks, all. this call from the 'windows man' was my first time hearing a scam such as this over the phone. he must have been new at the game, because he had not gotten very far in the ten long minutes i stayed on the line. i was supposed to search google for www.showmy....which is when i recognized the 'show my pc now' prompts, as a way to connect to my computer.

if there is a next time, i will know to ask if they have my ip address. (btw, what is ip, a pin number?)

i do not have a cell phone, or caller id on my land line phone. i am basic everything--basic phone service, basic cable and basic network tv.

Hi, vit. If there is a next time, don't continue the conversation once you realize what the call is about. No need to ask if they know your IP address - there's nothing for you to gain from it. Just hang up.

Your IP pin is just like a password you use to access your IP address.

I'm a former web technologies manager. There is no such thing as an IP pin. An IP address is what taxlady said - a number that identifies your computer on the internet. A block of IP numbers are assigned to an ISP, which then assigns one to your computer when you connect.

Make sure all your ports are closed.

Clearing your cookies and cache doesn't protect your computer from hacking. It makes visiting websites more of a chore because they store your preferences and make web pages come up more quickly.

Most people don't know how to close ports and most people don't need to worry about hacking. Hackers want a bigger payoff than just access to a single person's computer. Phishing is different, and that's what happened with vit.

Today was a good/crap day. Started off well. Caitlin phoned in for a TV breakfast show spelling contest this morning and won a school suitcase filled with beautiful stationary and everything else she needs for school and a voucher to spend at their shop.
I started feeling a bit bloated last night, weighed myself and again this morning. I gained 4 kgs overnight.
Then I went to buy milk and on my way home I gotten bitten by a dog. Blue leg, broken pants. The only pair that fits me right now. I'm not a happy camper!

Oh dear! How deep was the bite? Are you all right? Do you know who owns the dog? Do you have a reporting system for dog bites like we do here in the States? I hope you are all right. Get that leg looked at. :angel:

I'm a former web technologies manager. There is no such thing as an IP pin. An IP address is what taxlady said - a number that identifies your computer on the internet. A block of IP numbers are assigned to an ISP, which then assigns one to your computer when you connect.

I misread the question. I'm fully aware of what an IP address is. My husband has a password on his. Thought this was what V meant.

Clearing your cookies and cache doesn't protect your computer from hacking. It makes visiting websites more of a chore because they store your preferences and make web pages come up more quickly.

Clearing cookies may not prevent hacking but it prevent hackers from accessing your information once they have hacked into your computer.
I have had a bad problem with a certain "hacker" and ended up paying a fortune to fix everything.

Most people don't know how to close ports and most people don't need to worry about hacking. Hackers want a bigger payoff than just access to a single person's computer. Phishing is different, and that's what happened with vit.

Once again I did not say everyone knows how to close ports but V said that this person tried to hack her computer. I just responded to what she said. Our computer technician is the person that told me to do all of the above. Thank you for your lesson but I was only trying to help and I'm certainly not going to apply for a positition as a computer technician anytime soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh dear! How deep was the bite? Are you all right? Do you know who owns the dog? Do you have a reporting system for dog bites like we do here in the States? I hope you are all right. Get that leg looked at. :angel:

I'm fine thank you Addie :) Just bruised. The bite left a nasty blue mark. I was wearing very strong cargo pants so he only managed to tear my pants and not my skin. The owner was standing outside of his home and saw the dog bite me. We exchanged details and if he pays for the damage I will leave it but if he doesn't do something by tomorrow I'm going to the police.
Our laws are not as strict here, so I can't do much but I will take this further if need be.

I'm fine thank you Addie :) Just bruised. The bite left a nasty blue mark. I was wearing very strong cargo pants so he only managed to tear my pants and not my skin. The owner was standing outside of his home and saw the dog bite me. We exchanged details and if he pays for the damage I will leave it but if he doesn't do something by tomorrow I'm going to the police.
Our laws are not as strict here, so I can't do much but I will take this further if need be.

Here in the States it varies state to state. Here in my town of Boston, you have to report it to the police immediately. The owner has to surrender the dog for testing for rabies. It is assumed that the reason the dog attacked you is because of rabies. He also has to pay the kennel costs while the dog is being held for 14 days. He is also liable for any and all medical costs for me. If the police deem it necessary, the owner could be taken to court to decide if the dog is a danger to the public and should be put down. If that is the ruling, the owner can go through the appeal process, but the dog has to stay at the kennel at cost to the owner. He also has to pay to have the dog put down should he lose his appeals.

We have very strong leash laws here. I can't tell you the last time I saw a loose dog running the streets. There is a costly fine if you let your dog run free. :angel:

Ship, I know you were trying to help. I was just trying to clarify a few things :) What I wrote was not just to you, but to everyone reading this thread.

Re cookies and cache, you said:

Your IP pin is just like a password you use to access your IP address. If you want to prevent people from being able to hack your PC I would suggest you do the following.....

This does not prevent hacking; I just wanted to make that clear.

I misread the question. I'm fully aware of what an IP address is. My husband has a password on his. Thought this was what V meant.

Your husband likely has a password on his router, which connects the computer to the Internet. The router has an IP address and password so people can access it and change settings. That's different from the IP address the ISP assigns to the computer, which, as taxlady said, usually changes each time you connect. Since it changes frequently, there's no way to have a password on it.

It's also important to remember that the U.S., Europe and probably other places sometimes have different laws and regulations regarding how technologies like cookies are used. When they contain user IDs and passwords, for example, they are usually encrypted, so if someone did hack a computer or intercept a transmission, they wouldn't be able to read it.

A great place for information on computer security is the U.S. Computer Emergency Response Team website.

If anyone wants more information on Internet cookies, here is more than you ever wanted to know ;) AllAboutCookies.org - FAQ Section

Ship, I know you were trying to help. I was just trying to clarify a few things :) What I wrote was not just to you, but to everyone reading this thread.

Re cookies and cache, you said:

This does not prevent hacking; I just wanted to make that clear.

Your husband likely has a password on his router, which connects the computer to the Internet. The router has an IP address and password so people can access it and change settings. That's different from the IP address the ISP assigns to the computer, which, as taxlady said, usually changes each time you connect. Since it changes frequently, there's no way to have a password on it.

It's also important to remember that the U.S., Europe and probably other places sometimes have different laws and regulations regarding how technologies like cookies are used. When they contain user IDs and passwords, for example, they are usually encrypted, so if someone did hack a computer or intercept a transmission, they wouldn't be able to read it.

A great place for information on computer security is the U.S. Computer Emergency Response Team website.

If anyone wants more information on Internet cookies, here is more than you ever wanted to know ;) AllAboutCookies.org - FAQ Section

I appreciate your help, try make me feel less stupid next time though. Perhaps our IT guy was an idiot. I paid him a lot of money so I prefer to think he wasn't.

"Cookies" is not encrypted on my PC. Perhaps that is why I was told to clear it on exit.

I don't doubt your knowledge. I'm no computer geek. I thought the info I was given was correct.

P.S Not picking a fight, just saying how I feel. I speak my mind and if you hurt my feelings I will tell you.
I'm going to go and nurse my dog bite wound and I'm not speaking to you for at least 5-7 minutes :rolleyes:

:flowers:

You know, I think the moral of this story is like I said in the beginning. If anyone gets a call from anyone claiming they are from "Windows" and saying your computer is in danger they should hang up before the guy gets to say another word. THEY are the ones trying to hack and are very tricky at it.

I too have a computer/web background (10 years co-owning a hosting/design business). But the average person is pretty safe if they have sufficient protection on their computer.

Don't keep these guys on the phone for any length of time and don't go to your computer or give them any personal information!

Everyone who has contributed information on this has been very helpful but it can just keep going on in circles! :)

(I apologize if anyone takes offense to this. If you know me you know that is never my intention).

Here in the States it varies state to state. Here in my town of Boston, you have to report it to the police immediately. The owner has to surrender the dog for testing for rabies. It is assumed that the reason the dog attacked you is because of rabies. He also has to pay the kennel costs while the dog is being held for 14 days. He is also liable for any and all medical costs for me. If the police deem it necessary, the owner could be taken to court to decide if the dog is a danger to the public and should be put down. If that is the ruling, the owner can go through the appeal process, but the dog has to stay at the kennel at cost to the owner. He also has to pay to have the dog put down should he lose his appeals.

We have very strong leash laws here. I can't tell you the last time I saw a loose dog running the streets. There is a costly fine if you let your dog run free. :angel:

By us the owner only has to pay for damages caused and a rabies shot. I don't want to have the dog put down. They will put him down without asking questions. It was not the dogs fault.
He lives in our block so I'll make sure he pays up. I've taken pictures and I have 24 hours to go to the police.
I just wish people would be more careful. If it was one of my kids they would have been hurt more than me since they always wear shorts in summer.
I'm ok, just angry :)

Snip, I am so sorry. Dog bites of any kind are not fun. I had a nasty one several years ago. I think you should at least go to the doctor and have it checked out. Even if the skin isn't broken, you still may need a tetanus shot. Take good care of yourself. :flowers:

I appreciate your help, try make me feel less stupid next time though. Perhaps our IT guy was an idiot. I paid him a lot of money so I prefer to think he wasn't.

"Cookies" is not encrypted on my PC. Perhaps that is why I was told to clear it on exit.

I don't doubt your knowledge. I'm no computer geek. I thought the info I was given was correct.

P.S Not picking a fight, just saying how I feel. I speak my mind and if you hurt my feelings I will tell you.
I'm going to go and nurse my dog bite wound and I'm not speaking to you for at least 5-7 minutes :rolleyes:

:flowers:

I'm sorry if I made you feel stupid. It wasn't my intention. :flowers:

I hope your leg feels better soon.

Snip, I am so sorry. Dog bites of any kind are not fun. I had a nasty one several years ago. I think you should at least go to the doctor and have it checked out. Even if the skin isn't broken, you still may need a tetanus shot. Take good care of yourself. :flowers:

Thank you Laurie :) Didn't realise a dog that small could bite so hard. It's blue and there is some blood under the skin but I think it will be fine. I'll go to the pharmacy tomorrow. The Dr's are far and I walk in the week. My husband uses my car. My aunt loves animals and she had her finger bitten off a few months ago. She make clothes for a living so it was really hard for her. This was not so serious.

i was in my favorite pair of army green cargoes, shooting a basketball, when i was hit/bit by a neighbor dog in my back yard. we were both after the ball, and the dog came flying onto our property, crashing into my leg and knocking me down. that heavy gauge denim saved me from a nasty dog bite, but i was left with a huge bruise on my leg and and thigh. the pants, with their designer rips and holes, are even more cool now than they were before my one-on-one with the dog.:)

snip, i hope your leg feels better real soon, and that your pants can be saved. dog attacks can and do have disastrous results, every day. i'm sure you don't exactly feel lucky right now, but you are, and you will see it again, soon. you have an exceptionally smart girl, who is already showing you daily and in multiple ways, just how very special she is--earning consistently high grades, collecting awards, and helping with her school expenses as a contest winner today! :)

besides which, there isn't much in daily life that can keep our snip down for very long!:) be sure to get some extra attention and tlc from your hubby though--you have earned it, cash it in.:)

the payoff i got for my dog bite was when after the incident, the neighbors gave away their dog to a good home. they had kept that poor animal tied to a tree, night and day, unmindful of the weather. they were rarely home, and their treatment and neglect of their pet amounted animal abuse. it felt good to see him freed from that deplorable environment....

Last edited:
i was in my favorite pair of army green cargoes, shooting a basketball, when i was hit/bit by a neighbor dog in my back yard. we were both after the ball, and the dog came flying onto our property, crashing into my leg and knocking me down. that heavy gauge denim saved me from a nasty dog bite, but i was left with a huge bruise on my leg and and thigh. the pants, with their designer rips and holes, are even more cool now than they were before my one-on-one with the dog.:)

Cargo pants have saved me from injury many times :LOL: I know why they use them in combat now! I can't sew to save my life but they look ok, I'll just say Catlin sewed them ;)
I should fit into all my other clothes in a few days, just have 4 kgs of water to lose that I myteriously gained since last night :rolleyes:

snip, i hope your leg feels better real soon, and that your pants can be saved. dog attacks can and do have disastrous results, every day. i'm sure you don't exactly feel lucky right now, but you are, and you will see it again, soon. you have an exceptionally smart girl, who is already showing you daily and in multiple ways, just how very special she is--earning consistently high grades, collecting awards, and helping with her school expenses as a contest winner today! :)

Thank you :) I'm pretty good with pain but this burns like fire and it's annoying!
Caitlin is a star, always makes me proud. So does my little Daniel The Menace :)
Just had a bad day, I'll be my usual self tomorrow.

besides which, there isn't much in daily life that can keep our snip down for very long!:) be sure to get some extra attention and tlc from your hubby though--you have earned it, cash it in.:)

Hahahahahahah, and pigs will fly :rolleyes:

the payoff i got for my dog bite was when after the incident, the neighbors gave away their dog to a good home. they had kept that poor animal tied to a tree, night and day, unmindful of the weather. they were rarely home, and their treatment and neglect of their pet amounted animal abuse. it felt good to see him freed from that deplorable environment....

I don't want anything to happen to the poor dog, just hope the owner gets a cramp somewhere awkward :angel:
Night, night!

Last edited:
What the heck have you guys been doing? Getting hacked and bitten and all :LOL:

I've never gotten a call from a phisher before, but I would probably play around with the caller for a while just to waste their time. Give them some bogus information or something. That's just the way I am. I can't begin to tell you how many times I've told someone I was dead who called my business and asked for the owner :whistling Talk about a pause on the other end :LOL:

I'm glad your bite wasn't worse, Snip. It was bad enough, but not too bad considering. And good for you for doing the moral thing. Over here a lawyer would be involved already.

I spent waaaaaay too much time on the computer today shopping.
The weather is absolutely horrible and surfing for a new milsurp (military surplus) seemed like the thing to do to brighten my day. But as Murphy would have it, the Fedex guy walked into the dealer as I was placing my order, so my 2-day shipping won't arrive until next Monday. I hate when that happens :wacko:

Back
Top Bottom