What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have been out in the garden most of the day as it is such a lovely day!

Been trimming back some trees and having a general tidy up :)

This will be the first day of visible progress in my home building adventure. I am meeting at the house site with my builder, house designer/architect, sewer person, and landscape designer. The house footprint will be staked out, elevations shot and discussions started about how to proceed with my home water catchment system.

This will be the first day of visible progress in my home building adventure. I am meeting at the house site with my builder, house designer/architect, sewer person, and landscape designer. The house footprint will be staked out, elevations shot and discussions started about how to proceed with my home water catchment system.

Whatever happened to pacing it off and driving a stake in the ground? :LOL:

I am watching the snow come down sideways. By all accounts today was going to be cold, but decent. I was going to go shooting again, but I think I'll take a nap instead :mrgreen:

Well it stopped snowing here, but holy moly is it ever cold out there now! At least when its snowing its warmish.

I have to work this afternoon, so I will soon be prepping dinner for the family. Right now though, I'm going to make a cup of coffee and catch up on things around here.

SO's car is in the shop and she took mine for work. I was planning on going out for an Italian sub for lunch, but that's out the door for now.

I am excited for your Beth! The closest I got to this was being part of the founding Board of a housing co-op in the mid 80's. We were out there all the time discussing, watching, trouble-shooting. Even though you aren't building it literally yourself, you feel a part of every step! :)

I am off to sit with my friends teen son as he does an exam at home. He is a great kid but suffers from tourettes and has a difficult time at school. I love it when I can do things to encourage him and I know his Mom really appreciates the time we spend together as well. I have known him since he was a day old and he and his brother are like my own kids! :)

'visible progress' sounds good to me! i'm impressed that all of the building team plans to meet together at the same time and place today to start work on your house building project.:) are they working on both houses?
everything is so high tech today. you will probably get a whole new education working with your contractors in the coming weeks. what style and size house are you building? do you have an estimated completion date for it yet? i have no idea how long these things take with today's prefab capabilities. thanks beth, for sharing your exciting news. please keep us posted with new developments when you can....:)

Just got home a while ago from my first experience volunteering in an elementary school with the Master Gardeners. The topic was Plant Parts Party and the extension agent taught fifth graders about plant parts by giving everyone a bag of mixed lettuces, spinach, a carrot and celery stick and a piece of broccoli. They also got blue and yellow corn tortilla chips, mixed root chips, ranch dressing, salsa and a couple strawberries. As she went through the plant parts, she had them identify and talk about which were the roots, stems, flowers and leaves. It was a lot of fun :)

Now it's 55°F outside and my porch faces west, so I'm going to put my feet up and sit on the porch with a glass of wine. Happy Friday! :D

Last edited:
Just returned from a 2 1/2 hour ride on the motorcycle. The first of the season and the first with my new knee. We had a blast and rode, first, to "our" Dairy Queen, which is only about 15 minutes from home. Sat outside at a big old wooden picnic table and ate our ice cream. Then, for fun and because it was just too nice a day to do anything else, we took the LONG way home, accounting for the remaining 2 hours. It was invigorating and I can't wait to get out again.

Dried about 10 tablespoons of used fine coffee grinds in a 175*F oven for ~2.5 hours and sprinkled on top of the Miracle Grow potting 'soil' in which I've been trying to start some Greek oregano and corn salad seeds. Some of the soil was starting to show signs of mold or mildew

Finally finished grubbing out and amending the soil (really just sand) for a new flower bed, about 4' x 20'; will be planting zinnias and some Passionfruit seedlings to attract butterflies. I'm thinking of pitching a tent at Lowe's to save me the back-and-forths. It's just a joy to be outside, :) the past few days have been perfect weather, 70-75 degrees and low humidity -- the days I'll remember this summer when the heat and humidity return.

I recently finished trying to get that stupid bug out of my work pc.
One of my buddies sent me what amounted to the 12 step program. Maybe redundnacy in malware removal tools will finally shovel some dirt on it.

I supposed this should go under "What made you smile lately." But I am sitting here after checking my other email account. I received a Birthday wish from one of my grandchildren. She lives in Maine and is one of the children that were adopted after my daughter's death.

She was just an infant when she was adopted. And when she would hear her sister and brother talk about 'their mother', she would get confused. She had never been told she was adopted. She knew who I was and what relation to her I was. Her grandmother. But how? So one day she was snooping around and came across my phone number. She called me out of the blue and I told her if she ever had any questions, I would always tell her the whole truth. No matter how painful it may be for me or her. A year later when she was old enough to travel on her own, she came down from Maine and spent the weekend. We talked and talked. And I kept my word to her. I answered all of her questions with total honesty. She went back home with some anger in her because her mother had kept everything from her. After a few phone calls, she calmed down and understood where her adopted mother was coming from.

As a result, every Mother's Day, my birthday, Christmas and any other important day, she always sends me a card in the mail or an email. She is the only grandchild to do this. I love her so dealy. I wish I could post a picture of her. She is knockout beautiful. Enormous blue eyes, and natural blonde hair. In the sunlight with the wisps of hair blowing, it looks like a halo around her head.

I am a firm believer that every child has the right to know who their natural parents are and their personal history. :angel:
I agree completely. We adopted our daughter (14) when she was 3 days old. I hope some day to meet her birth parents. It was a closed adoption & we have never known anything about the. My dh doesn't neccessarily feel the same way. My dh's sister asked me one day "Why would you want to meet them?" My response just a simple.." To thank them. What a supreme gift to give up their own infant to an unknown family".

Today I have done some ironing and a bit of gardening :)

Looking forward to tonight as we are going to mums for dinner...for Steve's pre birthday dinner! Tomorrow is his birthday..yes Steve's birthday is on St Patricks Day :)

Mum is making one of Steve's fave dishes, it will be a lovely night :)

I agree completely. We adopted our daughter (14) when she was 3 days old. I hope some day to meet her birth parents. It was a closed adoption & we have never known anything about the. My dh doesn't neccessarily feel the same way. My dh's sister asked me one day "Why would you want to meet them?" My response just a simple.." To thank them. What a supreme gift to give up their own infant to an unknown family".

When my daughter was murdered, the three youngest of her five kids were adopted by family friends. All were open adoptions. The two families that adopted them were also friends. One adopted the boy. He had a lot of medical problems and it was felt that he was best served if he went where he could receive individual care and love. The two girls went together to another family. Many times me or some other member of the family would babysit. The only problem I had with any of it is that the youngest was never told she was adopted. I didn't feel it was my place to tell her. But when she asked me a few questions, I refused to lie to her. Her mother became angry. But she should have told her before she started to ask questions. :angel:

That is this most thrilling thing that can happen. I hope it gives you joy!

Back
Top Bottom